Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 18:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hope my daughter didn't ruin this photographers day too badly.

this thread is locked
Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 11, 2013 23:31 |  #31

vengence wrote in post #15818101 (external link)
epic win for your kid OP. It's a shame more kids don't have the self confidence to not give a damn what other people think and just enjoy life like yours seems to be doing. It sounds like you've done something right as a Dad that many people could aspire to.

And therein lies the problem.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

sponsored links
drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2013 23:34 |  #32

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like one consensus is that it's the schools fault that they didn't hire a photographer who was professional enough to handle the situation properly. So, the recommendation is that the school should invest more money and choose a more experienced photographer in the future... and parents wonder where the budget goes?!? ??? BTW: I have no idea how to determine the way a photographer is going to respond to a situation like this, and thus select one who will handle it better.

What if you weren't a photographer, and couldn't take pictures of your kid when you wanted? What if you couldn't afford a standard sitting fee and this was the one opportunity that you had to get pictures of your kid this year? ...only to find out that your kid goofed the picture! I know if I were in this situation, I'd be pretty upset.

I'm soon to be a parent and even though I feel that I'm more than capable of taking my child's pictures, I'm sure that my wife will choose to purchase plenty of school pictures anyway. I'm sure that I'm not alone on this, but I will be disappointed every time that my child isn't respectful to another adult.

BTW: Not that it really matters, but most kids in Jr. High (a.k.a. middle school) are 11-14.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 11, 2013 23:37 |  #33

Fernando wrote in post #15818381 (external link)
And therein lies the problem.

Exactly. We already have plenty of people who don't give a damn. It all comes back to a general lack of respect in society as a whole. We don't respect ourselves, why would anyone expect us to respect someone else's time? As for the OP, the worse crime is that it's not even a funny story.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 11, 2013 23:46 |  #34

Wow, some of you people are taking this too seriously. The girl messed up her picture because her parents don't normally buy them as indicated by the OP. Though keep in mind, these are also the yearbook pictures too. So now her year book picture for this year will be one with a ridiculous pose, as well as a few of her friends. This is nothing to suspend a kid over as one poster pointed out. Not to mention, this is just a money grab by the school and the portrait studio (probably Lifetouch). So this is not a charity thing for people who cannot afford pictures normally. Besides, if the parents really wanted the pictures to be nice and had intentions of buying them, then they would have instructed their child to dress nicely and act appropriately on picture day. Stop making up BS and finding reasons to punish a kid for pointless reasons. This is the thinking that is corrupting schools. To everyone criticizing the OP on this, stop punishing his child, and worry about your own if you even have them. No one was harmed, nothing was damaged. This seems like a pretty innocent joke.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 11, 2013 23:56 |  #35

PhotosGuy wrote in post #15818309 (external link)
I think we need to lighten up. An 8-year old had what she thought was a fun idea, & the only results she screwed up were her own. The other kids acted like kids.
it's not time to put in a bulk order for straight jackets yet. ; )

8 year old? JH has 8 year olds? 12/13/14 is junior high - not 8.

I honestly would like to understand this mentality...kid bullies a kid, others see it and to fit in (like kids do) they copy the same behavior, so all blame lands on the other kids and not the first one because others copied the one who started it? Where's the line? I seem to remember a saying about a bridge and if everyone else was jumping...

drvnbysound wrote in post #15818294 (external link)
I assume you are referring to this:

http://i2.wp.com …/2011/02/report​.jpg?w=640 (external link)

That's the one!

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 11, 2013 23:58 |  #36

Luxornv wrote in post #15818426 (external link)
Wow, some of you people are taking this too seriously. The girl messed up her picture because her parents don't normally buy them as indicated by the OP. Though keep in mind, these are also the yearbook pictures too. So now her year book picture for this year will be one with a ridiculous pose, as well as a few of her friends. This is nothing to suspend a kid over as one poster pointed out. Not to mention, this is just a money grab by the school and the portrait studio (probably Lifetouch). So this is not a charity thing for people who cannot afford pictures normally. Besides, if the parents really wanted the pictures to be nice and had intentions of buying them, then they would have instructed their child to dress nicely and act appropriately on picture day. Stop making up BS and finding reasons to punish a kid for pointless reasons. This is the thinking that is corrupting schools. To everyone criticizing the OP on this, stop punishing his child, and worry about your own if you even have them. No one was harmed, nothing was damaged. This seems like a pretty innocent joke.

How do you know the parents did not dress them up nice for the photos. Nothing was harmed in your opinion do you know what revenue was lost by the photog?, talk about BS. Sorry I am in the camp that that if a child can not respect an adult then the parents are sadly lacking in there parenting skills and probably have no respect for others.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 12, 2013 00:08 |  #37

I know plenty of kids who are still in school... and maybe it's different where you are, but where I am the session done for the yearbook pictures is also the only time the school offers pictures (particularly elementary and middle schools). So, while it may be an opportunity for the school and the studio to make some money, it's also the only opportunity for many parents to get "professional" pictures of their kids. I know plenty of parents who still can't afford to buy these either.

I may have missed the post about suspension... but I certainly didn't recommend any sort of punishment. I don't necessarily think any should be given, but I know if it were my kid, we would be having a conversation about it.

Regardless, I don't exactly follow the logic where disrespecting someone is funny.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 12, 2013 00:11 as a reply to  @ cdiver2's post |  #38

The underlying theme of the OP seems to be to stick it to Life Touch. That is really something to be proud of. Sure it is humorous but it certainly not something that I would go and brag about on a forum, but that is just me. I've done my fair share of small school student photos and the junior high are the worst. If you let one start something they are like sheep, they all will follow. I see this thread for its humor but I also see how so many like to stick it to mass production photographers on here, ie. Life Touch as one example. Sad is all I can say.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 12, 2013 00:14 |  #39

PhotosGuy wrote in post #15818309 (external link)
I think we need to lighten up. An 8-year old had what she thought was a fun idea, & the only results she screwed up were her own. The other kids acted like kids.
it's not time to put in a bulk order for straight jackets yet. ; )

Oh, right...

The old "Everyone's out of step but my Johnny"

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 12, 2013 00:22 |  #40

Luxornv wrote in post #15818426 (external link)

Honestly can say I don't understand the mentality people like yourself have, look at this post - you're saying because the photographer is not doing it for charity and doing his job for profit, trying to earn a paycheck, that he's not worth being treated with some respect? Who cares if you don't agree with their business model, the amateurs they hire, etc. but to go out of your way to try and screw with someone just to mess up their day and show off in front of friends is pathetic IMHO! Photographer should have handled it better, should have put a stop to it pretty quick and realized what was going on - but still doesn't exactly give the right to go out of ones way to treat people like garbage. Feel sorry for the waiters, parking attendants, hotel check in crew - you know those "lesser" people.

Want to know the problem with schools - work in for awhile - it's really clear that a lot of kids think they can do no wrong at all, they are overly special. We let them get away with way too much as parents try to be friends and they know little Timmy or Sally can do no wrong ever! Nobody was physically harmed, no damage to equipment, there's another problem with schools, people like yourself think that's the only problem. Again, work in one for awhile and you'll find it just is absolutely not true at all - the stupidest little things can cause big problems, it's unfortunate but it does.

As for my suspension comment that you twisted into something it's not - they wasted my time and their teammates time, they got suspended from playing and not school. Suspending from school for this would be idiotic, a talk of why it wasn't the smartest idea is pretty much all that needs to be done so it can be used as a teachable moment to show others some respect and realize that just because you do it others may copy and make it worse. Selfishness only thinking of themselves, add that to problems in school.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 12, 2013 00:26 as a reply to  @ cdiver2's post |  #41

...okay: I'm not meaning this with any snark at all and am not wanting to bring "politics" into the thread, but in the United States is conformity at these sort of things the norm? Because the girl shaped her hair with a towel and posed like a model. And this is a problem? Really? Its a sign of "disrespect?"

Because I'll be honest: the reactions in this thread make absolutely no sense to me at all. So is this an American thing?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 12, 2013 00:31 |  #42

banquetbear wrote in post #15818491 (external link)
...okay: I'm not meaning this with any snark at all and am not wanting to bring "politics" into the thread, but in the United States is conformity at these sort of things the norm? Because the girl shaped her hair with a towel and posed like a model. And this is a problem? Really? Its a sign of "disrespect?"

Because I'll be honest: the reactions in this thread make absolutely no sense to me at all. So is this an American thing?

It's not shaping and posing that's causing a problem, seem to be missing the entire point that people are bringing up and since it's written repeatedly, won't repeat.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 12, 2013 00:36 |  #43

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #15818500 (external link)
It's not shaping and posing that's causing a problem, seem to be missing the entire point that people are bringing up and since it's written repeatedly, won't repeat.

...please do repeat it because I'm obviously missing it. What did the daughter do that is so disrespectful?

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 12, 2013 00:40 |  #44

banquetbear wrote in post #15818491 (external link)

To me, I don't think the issue lies with what she did, as much as how/why she did it. Based on the OP, it sounded to me as if this were done to tell the photographer: 'I don't care about your work, my parents usually don't buy your products, so I'm going to waste your time... other kids might think it's funny and follow along, and you're likely to lose sales over it, hopefully you can still pay your bills at the end of the month (actually I don't care about that either!)... but it's all a joke to me, so I think it's funny.'

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 12, 2013 00:57 |  #45

banquetbear wrote in post #15818510 (external link)
...please do repeat it because I'm obviously missing it. What did the daughter do that is so disrespectful?

She acted like a fool specifically to screw over the official photographer because Daddy's a better shooter and the official guy wasn't worth respecting.

...done here.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

45,217 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hope my daughter didn't ruin this photographers day too badly.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.