Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Apr 2013 (Friday) 10:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Game Changer?

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 12, 2013 10:09 |  #1

ASUS released the new Transformer All-In-One (AiO) P1801 today at $1299

It's a PC desktop with Intel i5 (upgradeable to i7), 4GB RAM (upgradeable to 8GB), 1TB HDD (upgradeable to 2TB) and Windows 8. The screen is 18.4" LED backlit IPS 1920x1080.

Here's where it get's interesting, the screen is also a removable tablet that runs on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean and has a Tegra 3 Quad-core processor, 2GB RAM and 32GB storage. Plus, it can mirror the desktop's Windows 8 via wi-fi if both are on the same network.

Does this seem like a viable image processing machine plus having the ability to go mobile and run EOS Remote and other Android apps ? Albeit being a huge tablet, it's still lighter than a 17" laptop and much less to transport of you use a monitor during photo shoots.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.asus.com …US_Transformer_​AiO_P1801/ (external link)

http://youtu.be/cLV5fh​VX_NA (external link)

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links
vsg28
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 12, 2013 12:13 |  #2

I think it is a pretty awkward compromise, I certainly would not want an 18.4" tablet and would almost always just use it as a desktop.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 12, 2013 17:51 |  #3

Game Changer? Not overly. Useful tool to fill some narrow markets? Sure.

I could find uses for a few portable screens like that for various projects, but honestly I would rather see them being marketed as two systems that you can buy and configure as you wish. A dual monitor system with one matching 'dumb' screen, and the 'tablet' screen with built in android sounds like a very neat idea.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 14, 2013 10:16 |  #4

That looks more like a gimmick to me. I own tablet because I want a tablet, and I build desktops because I want a proper desktop with components I know are good. Ive never wanted to combine the two. People will def buy this sort of thing though because it markets well. Will it be a huge hit? I doubt it, but theyll sell some.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 14, 2013 20:31 |  #5

They have been using this type of technology in various Florida car dealerships for a while now. When I bring my car for service they type my name, address and other basic information on what appears to be a typical desktop computer. Then they un-dock the screen and walk over to the vehicle to input the VIN and other relevant info.

I see where this could be good for specialized industries like dealerships, HVAC repair, Aviation mechanics and others who currently use the bulky Toughbook or similar. But in this current form it's probably not going to be widely adapted as it probably wont take a fraction of the beating that a Toughbook can withstand. The other issue is having to deal with two totally different OS's on the same device for varying tasks.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 15, 2013 03:05 |  #6

I have no need for a crossover. A 10" tablet is heavy enough that I don't take it anywhere.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

WRLphoto
64 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 23, 2013 00:14 |  #7

Anybody know how well a stylus would work on this for photo editing? Im picturing this as a giant wacom tablet would be awesome.

www.wrlphoto.com (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 23, 2013 08:20 |  #8

I doubt it's pressure sensitive.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

DBNissan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 23, 2013 09:33 |  #9

Adobe already offers a tablet and phone app that uses screen input. It's a bit watered-down but still has their core tools.

http://www.adobe.com/p​roducts/photoshop-touch.html (external link)

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

sponsored links

1,302 views & 0 likes for this thread
Game Changer?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.