Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Apr 2013 (Friday) 11:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheapest tripod with horizontal column = Manfrotto 190XPROB ?

DarioC
170 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 12, 2013 11:54 |  #1

I'm looking to get a tripod for food photography, and one of the main requirements seem to be a horizontal column to be able to take overhead shots...

I'm trying to find anything that could be cheaper than the 190 from Manfrotto, but I don't think there is anything.

At the moment I could get the 190 for 143 euro + a 496RC2 head for 210euro. Otherwise for 15euro more I could get the 055XPROB with the same head.

Is there anything I missed?

ciao

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 12, 2013 12:03 |  #2

I would recommend not going too cheap here. Bear in mind that if you've got the center column extended out one side you'll want a counterweight on the other end to stabilize the load. You want to get a tripod that can handle that load. Besides, I don't think the price of a decent aluminum tripod is steep, at least not over here. The 055xprob is only $140, and Giottos has a solid unit for about another $30 or so. If you already have a tripod you could look into something like the Manfrotto side arm, which is a horizontal arm that can mount a ballhead on each end. I know Gitzo makes one as well but it costs as much as a tripod. Photek sell as cheap horizontal tripod arm. . . . .http://www.adorama.com​/PTTX2500.html (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

jbrackjr
483 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 12, 2013 12:09 |  #3

Check out the Benro A2970F, which should be close in price with the manfrotto. There is a video that compares them here: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=OiqD7v9mKPY (external link) The Benro center column can swivel and lock down in almost any position.

I have had mine for over a year and use it quite often, no complaints so far.

Jim
Gear List

DarioC
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 12, 2013 12:20 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #4

so would you not recommend the 190xprob?

Flickr (external link)

jbrackjr
483 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 12, 2013 12:47 |  #5

The reason I bought the Benro was because it is larger (without using the center column) than the Manfrottos) and it also is larger in leg diameter which, in theory, should make it a little more stable.
So for me, I liked the Benro better. I have no experience with the 190xprob, so it might work well for you.

Jim
Gear List

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 12, 2013 12:51 |  #6

You can see what I own in my signature, however, I can't overstress how much I regret starting out with Manfrotto's RC2 quick release system. Do yourself a favor and get a head that uses the Arca-Swiss style quick release clamp and plates. (You'll see it referred to as the "arca" or "arca-style system also.)

It's tough to follow this advice, at least, it was for me. I've done much better following advice on cameras, lenses, CPLs, etc. For some reason, I didn't listen to the wealth of knowledge here when it came to tripods and tripod heads. As a result, I just placed an order to change over everything I own to the Arca-style plates. It wasn't cheap. The reason? As far as I can tell, you can't get any of the Manfrotto heads to stay where you put them after you tighten them down, at least the ones that use the RC2 quick release system. They all sag. The one I have is excellent when it comes to locking the ball in place. It locks down tight with very little force and the lock is positive. The problem is in the connection between the camera and the quick release plate. There is also a less than stellar connection between this same plate and the clamp itself. As a result, you are constantly trying to factor in the amount of sag you will get depending on which lens you are using at the moment. Believe me, this gets annoying after a while.

Even if you get a cheap tripod head, do yourself a favor and choose a better quick release system than I did, i.e., get the Arca-Swiss style.

Sorry for the rant.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,435 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 13, 2013 12:57 |  #7

I have the 190xprob, and like it very much (for my uses). With that said, the horizontal column is a seldom used feature, as it always feels like it will tip if I extend the camera away from the legs (T3i with Sigma 17-50). If you will often use this feature, there may be a better choice available to you, just from a security-of-your-equipment standpoint.

Flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 13, 2013 13:08 |  #8

NCSA197 wrote in post #15823743 (external link)
I have the 190xprob, and like it very much (for my uses). With that said, the horizontal column is a seldom used feature, as it always feels like it will tip if I extend the camera away from the legs (T3i with Sigma 17-50). If you will often use this feature, there may be a better choice available to you, just from a security-of-your-equipment standpoint.

You need to use a counterweight......

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 13, 2013 20:00 |  #9

This is a bit cheaper, and Cullmann customer service is pretty great:
http://www.amazon.de …3%A4higkeit/dp/​B0045HKLCQ (external link)

Get an Arca-Swiss compatible head, they are much better. Look at Induro for example.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 13, 2013 21:17 |  #10

NCSA197 wrote in post #15823743 (external link)

This is mine also! Yes.... counter weight! Great value!

DarioC
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 16, 2013 02:46 as a reply to  @ NU27D's post |  #11

I think as a starter tripod I am tempted by the 055XPROB (taller than the 190XPROB and lighter if I remember well. The head...with the budget I have (200euro) I think the 496RC2 is a good combo. I don't think I can find anything cheaper in that range.

Flickr (external link)

DarioC
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 21, 2013 02:56 as a reply to  @ DarioC's post |  #12

any thoughts?

Flickr (external link)

killwilly
866 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 21, 2013 03:27 as a reply to  @ DarioC's post |  #13

You could also take a look at Redsnapper.

http://redsnapperuk.co​m/ (external link)

Alan. flickr (external link)
---------------
Canon 7D. Canon 15-85 EF-S Lens. Canon 55-250 EF-S Lens. Speedlite 430ex 11.
Canon EOS-M. Canon 18-55 EF-M Lens. Speedlite 90EX.
Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

Alpinebully
117 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 21, 2013 03:48 |  #14

DarioC wrote in post #15832939 (external link)
I think as a starter tripod I am tempted by the 055XPROB (taller than the 190XPROB and lighter if I remember well. The head...with the budget I have (200euro) I think the 496RC2 is a good combo. I don't think I can find anything cheaper in that range.

The 055 tripod isnt going to be lighter then the 190 give it is a larger tripod.

Both come in carbon fiber versions so if weight was really an issue then the carbon version would be the way to go.

Personally i really like the 190 in carbon fiber. I dont own one (yet) but its specifications do appeal to me and i think it would make a fantastic tripod to carry around in the bush when camping etc.

Ive owned the Neotec Pro 458B tripod for about 8 years now with the 488RC2 head and find it to be a great size but the weight has always been an issue with carrying it for extended periods when out camping / hiking etc. It is the same weight as the Aluminum 055 so naturally i wouldn't consider this tripod myself...

055 = 2.4kg without head
190 = 1.8kg without head

055 carbon = 1.65kg without head
190 carbon = 1.29kg without head

Travis.

Body; Canon 5D2. Lenses; Canon 50F1.4, 85F1.8, 24-105L, 100-400L. Speedlights; Yongnuo YN560ii x3 & RF603 x4.

troehr
780 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 21, 2013 05:19 |  #15

I use the Giottos tripod. It is heavier than the ProB tripod. But it is very stable in the horizontal position. I use it often in that position for macro.

sponsored links

17,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheapest tripod with horizontal column = Manfrotto 190XPROB ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.