Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Apr 2013 (Friday) 10:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark III in high humidity?

nwlight
33 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 12, 2013 10:55 |  #1

Does anyone have recommendations for whether or not to use a 5D Mark III with the 24-105L in high humidity? I am taking a family trip to Great Wolf Lodge. It's basically an indoor water amusement park that is very warm and humid. It should be equivalent to an indoor pool. I usually use my iPhone to take simple pictures and video. However, on my last trip, I noticed some people using their DSLR's albeit they all tended to be smaller ones. The reason for using a DSLR is for the better low light capabilities.

For the most part, I don't want to take the risk with getting fungus in my camera and lens, but I wonder if I am being overly cautious. I would take the normal precautions like letting the camera get acclimated to the indoor temperature before using it. As I understand, it's less of a problem taking the camera from the pool back to the colder hotel room. Is that right?

Does anyone have experience with something like this?

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,385 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 12, 2013 12:23 |  #2

if your phone can handle it, your camera can as well. You bought your camera to use it, so use it :)

Sony A7iii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 12, 2013 12:27 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #3

I live in the South. What you described is every day in the summer.

You'll be fine.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2013 12:44 as a reply to  @ Brasher's post |  #4

You should be absolutely fine. I have used my old 5Dc and 24-105L in very warm humid conditions many times over the years with no issues (places such as tropical houses in zoos, where they simulate rainforest conditions, very warm and 100% humidity). The 5D III is far better protected against moisture incursion than the old 5Dc and I would have no worries taking my new baby in there.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 12, 2013 12:45 as a reply to  @ Brasher's post |  #5

Here in Bangkok it is 37c (98.6f) with 70% humidity or higher at times. I think our year round average is 34c. My 5D3 is perfectly fine in high humidity.

As for mold, you need no air flow, darkness, and damp conditions. Remove one of those and you will not get mold. Don't worry about it.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

nwlight
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 12, 2013 13:48 |  #6

I really needed the reassurance. Thanks everyone! For what it's worth, it's probably going to be too dim for the f/4 lens so I will probably end up using my old 35mm f/2 or 85mm f/1.8.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,526 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 14, 2013 08:43 as a reply to  @ nwlight's post |  #7

Many togs in humid environment will store their kit in a humidity controlled box - but going out and shooting is fine, especially if it is just for a short holiday. The key thing to beware of is condensation. You need to be careful when going from a cold AC controlled climate into a warm humid one. The cold camera will attract condensation which can cause serious problems.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,634 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 14, 2013 09:05 |  #8

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #15820356 (external link)
Here in Bangkok it is 37c (98.6f) with 70% humidity or higher at times. I think our year round average is 34c. My 5D3 is perfectly fine in high humidity.

As for mold, you need no air flow, darkness, and damp conditions. Remove one of those and you will not get mold. Don't worry about it.

You just described the interior of a camera bag in Bangkok/(or Houston...:rolleyes:)

Hmm... what to do?

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 14, 2013 09:24 |  #9

"Contrary to popular belief, fungi can grow and thrive in a wide range of temperatures, light levels and humidity levels."

Read more: Fungus Vs. Mold | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com …s-mold.html#ixzz2QRogbqz​0 (external link)

_
My Gear is ---> Here

swidjaja
395 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 14, 2013 09:38 |  #10

I would suggest you to buy a waterproof P&S and enjoy the swim & rides with your family. You might take better pics but the thought of securing your camera or covering it from water can ruin your otherwise enjoyable trip. I bought a Panasonic for less than $150 that can record video and take pictures up to 20-30ft. I throw in 16 GB of memory card and all set.

This way, you don't have to worry about needing somebody to always watch your stuff. I would not want to keep a $3k camera in the locker as well.

I went to GW in PA and it felt worse than the tropical countries (I grew up in SE Asia). It felt like 100% humidity at 82-degree with constant splash of water from all directions. Not to mention the slippery floors in case you trip and dip your camera into the shallow pool.

6D + enough lenses for now.

sponsored links

2,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark III in high humidity?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.