Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 09:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85mm 1.2L Auto-focussing Advice?

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 10, 2013 02:47 |  #16

1.2 with a moving subject is not going to be fun. That is a razer thin DOF and you will have a very low keeper rate. For me, I would not shoot anything moving like that at anything lower than 2.5-2.8.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

sponsored links
minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 10, 2013 09:35 |  #17

the situation described, i think it's more luck then skill to get a good shot. 1.2 is just so thin DOF, regardless of which camera you are using....

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 12, 2013 12:32 |  #18

I shot an outdoor party today with my 85L v1 and 5D3. The on screen previews seem decent. I will see what they look like when I get home.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 12, 2013 16:52 |  #19

a real challenge shooting at f1.2 let alone a moving target and moving kids wow guess like mentioned above just shoot a lot and maybe increase your keeper percentage? I use this lens mainly for portraiture.

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,514 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 12, 2013 18:30 |  #20

jacuff wrote in post #15807525 (external link)
You pre-focus to a set distance and when child moves into that target distance, you take the shot. The 85mm f/1.2L is a slow lens to use with AI Servo and expect the image to be in focus. An 85mm f/1.8 is a better choice, but still will be harder to nail at close range.

At anything resembling a portrait framing, the chances of pre-focus working are somewhere between slim and none, and slim just left town.

Within the viewfinder limitations of the EOS line of cameras, you flat out cannot see what is and what is not in focus when using apertures larger than f/2.8. To suggest pre-focusing and then shooting when the subject appears sharp seems like complete folly. The viewfinder is not capable of giving the photographer reliable information for this technique.

I admit, I dislike the AF system performance of the 5D and 5D Mark II. Nevertheless, I would expect these cameras to give me a keeper ratio of 100:1 in AI Servo over anything I could do manually focusing or using pre-focus within the limitations of an f/1.2 aperture and an EOS viewfinder.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 12, 2013 20:17 |  #21

JeffreyG wrote in post #15821473 (external link)
To suggest pre-focusing and then shooting when the subject appears sharp seems like complete folly. The viewfinder is not capable of giving the photographer reliable information for this technique.

That's not exactly what I am suggesting. The 85mm has a focus scale that you could use to set it to a distance such as 5 feet. Then when the child is 5 feet from you, you take the photo. It's more about knowing the child is 5 feet from you instead of seeing thought the viewfinder that the eyes are now in focus. No doubt about it, it is going to be a low keeper shot and getting the eyes perfectly in focus might not happen. The OP is really pushing the limits of what is capable and has high expectations. I'm merely suggesting another technique to try.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,426 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 12, 2013 20:26 |  #22

Like I said before upgrade to 5dmk3 sooner. Not 85L but sigma 85mm f1.4 @f1.4 and had no issues using any of the cross points on the 5dmk3. nailed like 8 out of 10. With MF it will be like 1 in 50 for me.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,514 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 13, 2013 07:17 |  #23

jacuff wrote in post #15821824 (external link)
That's not exactly what I am suggesting. The 85mm has a focus scale that you could use to set it to a distance such as 5 feet. Then when the child is 5 feet from you, you take the photo. It's more about knowing the child is 5 feet from you instead of seeing thought the viewfinder that the eyes are now in focus. No doubt about it, it is going to be a low keeper shot and getting the eyes perfectly in focus might not happen. The OP is really pushing the limits of what is capable and has high expectations. I'm merely suggesting another technique to try.

Is this a technique you have really used with success at f/1.2? I know I may seem a naysayer, but I just cannot help but feel skeptical that this is workable with very large apertures.

I ask about your using this because the usable DOF at 5' when using an 85mm lens at f/1.2 to make a small 8x10 print is only going to be about 1 inch. For large prints the allowed error will be even less, perhaps 0.25 inches. So when I think the subject is 5 feet from the camera, if the subject is actually 4' 11" from the camera then I have a clean miss. There is no way I can estimate distances with <0.75% error, which is what is required.

Now sure, 5 feet is kind of a ridiculous range for 85mm and f/1.2, but even at a realistic 20 feet the acceptable DOF for a small 8x10 print is only going to be about 7" on either side of 20'.

Now, I'm not saying that one cannot take in-focus pictures with an f/1.2 lens and a 5D or 5D2. But for me at least, even the sluggish an unreliable outer focus points of the 5D or 5D2 are going to be a lot more accurate than my ability to tell the difference between 5' and 4' 11". I would just put the camera in AI servo, select a single AF point on the face of the subject and shoot while using autofocus.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

dancook
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 15, 2013 11:19 |  #24

I'm feeling a little better about my 1.2 focusing already.

I took this using AI-servo, whilst both myself and the subject were moving. I recently changed the AF micro-adjustment to -13. So wanted to try it out.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8651638463_89187b03df_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/62198876@N02/8​651638463/  (external link)
Eugene (external link) by dancook1982 (external link), on Flickr

It's not really the issue in the original post, but in general - I'm feeling good about 1.2 again.

JohnCleese
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 15, 2013 16:47 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

JeffreyG wrote in post #15822923 (external link)
Is this a technique you have really used with success at f/1.2? I know I may seem a naysayer, but I just cannot help but feel skeptical that this is workable with very large apertures.

You are skeptical with good reason.

sponsored links

2,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
85mm 1.2L Auto-focussing Advice?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.