Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Apr 2013 (Friday) 18:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Different region, different price...

Swerbia
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 12, 2013 18:00 |  #1

Not so much of a constructive post perhaps, but still, something that struck me just now:

Pricing in different regions vary, sometimes to the extreme. I've been looking to get a new body, the 6D and this is what I found:

Malta: $2500 (where I live atm)
Import from UK: $2400+shipping
Import from US: $1700+shipping

Now, I understand import costs, tax etc, but to see such a massive difference is rather impressive. So.... do we think this will change in the future, or will price always differ this badly?

27 years in Sweden > 4.5 years in Ireland > 1 year in Malta > Currently: Paris, France

sponsored links
zhengf2
285 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 12, 2013 18:07 |  #2

I think it's also the demand/supply in the respective country that makes the price differ so drastically

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,556 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 12, 2013 18:19 |  #3

I wonder about that also. And it's not just Canon, but also Apple. Numbers for their products are the same, but it makes quite a bit of difference whether these numbers are US dollars or Euros. And it's even worse now, as an iMac or an iPhone e.g. is more expensive in Euros than in US dollars! It makes no sense and is very unfair to us here in Europe.

My flickr (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 12, 2013 18:43 |  #4

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #15821450 (external link)
I wonder about that also. And it's not just Canon, but also Apple. Numbers for their products are the same, but it makes quite a bit of difference whether these numbers are US dollars or Euros. And it's even worse now, as an iMac or an iPhone e.g. is more expensive in Euros than in US dollars! It makes no sense and is very unfair to us here in Europe.

Does that price in include VAT? If so, that would explain a big part of it. But basically, as long as people are willing to pay it, the price will be what it is. If people won't pay it, then it will probably come down.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

troehr
780 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 12, 2013 20:04 |  #5

Here in Thailand the 6D is $1600 at internet stores and $2000 at the chain stores. A 5DII also costs more than a 6D here.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,556 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 12, 2013 20:19 |  #6

archer1960 wrote in post #15821508 (external link)
Does that price in include VAT? If so, that would explain a big part of it.

It does, but even then there remains too big a price difference...

My flickr (external link)

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 12, 2013 20:31 |  #7

This issue exists in many products. Anyone here who has gone to college knows that international editions of text books are often much cheaper than the US editions. In that case, there is a lot of legal, and IP issues that add to the cost. With cameras, I'm not sure why. Not to mention, it's opposite of the example I used. It could be that it's not coming directly from Canon and some reseller(s) is/are marking it up in order to get their profit off of it when they handle it. They could be charging industrial mark up on stuff.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 12, 2013 21:28 |  #8

i work in the tech industry, its economies of scale.

for example, US and Canada have similar demographics and spending patterns, yet the goods cost more in Canada due to lower population density (lower sales vol). thus, the cost to transport goods become higher. US has high population, thus cost less to transport, store and sell.

vol usually lowers the unit price. thus countries with high populations will tend to have cheaper consumer goods.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 12, 2013 21:47 |  #9

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #15821832 (external link)
It does, but even then there remains too big a price difference...

The US online prices will soon include state sales tax (which are now paid when buying in a physical location). This adds another 6-8% on average.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 13, 2013 12:35 |  #10

Swerbia wrote in post #15821408 (external link)
Not so much of a constructive post perhaps, but still, something that struck me just now:

Pricing in different regions vary, sometimes to the extreme. I've been looking to get a new body, the 6D and this is what I found:

Malta: $2500 (where I live atm)
Import from UK: $2400+shipping
Import from US: $1700+shipping

Now, I understand import costs, tax etc, but to see such a massive difference is rather impressive. So.... do we think this will change in the future, or will price always differ this badly?

prices for cameras always seem cheaper in the US. I don't know if it's due to taxes, currency exchange, marketing, or what but good for some ;)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2013 13:33 |  #11

Here in Russia, you can buy a new 1DX from a reputable store for $6000, given the current exchange rate, or how about a brand new 5D3 for $2800? Oh, and the new 24-70 2.8 II costs $2000 straight... All tax free, mind you. (no such thing as sales tax here)

Oddly enough, up until a few years ago, cameras used to be more expensive here...

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 13, 2013 13:39 |  #12

There are a lot of things that go into individual market pricing. I have no idea how Canon pricing specifically works, but in the industry I work in, there's a big reason for us choosing certain countries for manufacturing, and that's primarily because of how it effects the margins of our distributors (happy distributor equals happy manufacturer). Even then, some countries benefit from the decisions we make as a manufacturer, while others sometimes suffer. It could just be that Malta is getting the short end of the stick for whatever reason.

Neil

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 13, 2013 13:48 |  #13

Don't forget the price folks pay in UK, including VAT does go back to them in form of Medical insurance, social services etc. Talk of any one in USA about his medical bills and plans and you know why. As for Malta, I am not sure but from many developing countries I know that a few ruling families need to build more and bigger castles or fill their Swiss bank accounts to greater extend...

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,504 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2013 16:54 |  #14

imjason wrote in post #15822022 (external link)
i work in the tech industry, its economies of scale.

for example, US and Canada have similar demographics and spending patterns, yet the goods cost more in Canada due to lower population density (lower sales vol). thus, the cost to transport goods become higher. US has high population, thus cost less to transport, store and sell.

vol usually lowers the unit price. thus countries with high populations will tend to have cheaper consumer goods.

But most of Canada's population lives pretty close to heavily populated regions of the US, yet they still pay more than someone in an isolated part of the US.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 13, 2013 20:34 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #15

Those Canadians are so lucky to be living in the Great White North (or so they tell me) that this little bit of extra is just a wee bit of compensation.

sponsored links

2,045 views & 0 likes for this thread
Different region, different price...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.