Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Apr 2013 (Friday) 21:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you buy a 500mm f4L on ebay?

April
139 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 12, 2013 21:41 |  #1

I have been wanting this lens for 3 years...and now the used prices are higher than when I first started looking at it :(

If you would consider buying in on ebay, what would the description have to say to convince you that THIS was the right transaction? (I have never bought anything for over $50 from anybody but a reputable on-line dealer--and never used camera gear, so I am really a newbie in the e-commerce auction world.)

Would you buy from a first-time seller?

www.travelinglightstud​io.com (external link)

sponsored links
vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 12, 2013 21:47 |  #2

First time seller for that much money? absolutely not.

I ­ weston ­ I
334 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 12, 2013 21:54 |  #3

no way.

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,157 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 12, 2013 23:00 |  #4

Nooooooooooooo!

I have bought some pricey things on Ebay, but from reputable sellers.
I bought a SIGMA 300-800mm f/56 EX HSM .. paid over $2k for it.

But as I said, from a seller I could trust.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 12, 2013 23:08 |  #5

NEVER.
EVEN ON MY DEAD BODY.
I can spend that kind of money much better in Las Vegas or even losing it in stock marked overnight but NOT ON EBAY.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

April
THREAD ­ STARTER
139 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 12, 2013 23:33 |  #6

Sigh. Okay, guys. I sort of thought that's what you all would say but...it's Spring and the birds are coming back and my thoughts are turning to longer lenses :) So, either I give up the idea of a 500mm or somehow convince myself to spend the really really big bucks for a new one. I do this every year...and the pictures on eBay look so tempting :oops:

Thanks for stopping me...my 300 f4 + 1.4 TC will have to do for now.

April
THREAD ­ STARTER
139 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 12, 2013 23:41 |  #7

Okay. I just went back to eBay and cleared my watch list and my saved search. I was pretty close to starting a bid...

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 12, 2013 23:44 |  #8

You know what's not tempting? Blowing that kind of money and getting scammed.... ;)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 12, 2013 23:44 |  #9

Nope....I'm an eBayer and that would be too big a purchase for me if I couldn't see it and collect it in person.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 13, 2013 02:16 |  #10

you're not going to get scammed and actually lose any money...with all of ebays buyer protection, along with paypal's buyer protection stuff...you'd be fine...it's not really risky

worst case scenario is it takes a few weeks to get your money back...

I don't think I'd buy from a first time seller still...

but someone like this guy:
http://www.ebay.com …enses&hash=item​3ccf337ef9 (external link)
who's selling like $2,000 a day practically in lenses, and has nearly 2,000 transactions at 100% feedback...why the hell not

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 13, 2013 02:48 |  #11

^ Absolutely wrong.

You can loose big. I have done that...
All that said ebay/paypal protection is good for, is usually for small sum or it is too difficult to follow correctly to meet the return. They have a lot of ways to run away when claim is large.

Yes you may end up buying a large item and actually getting it, but then the amount of time that you wait till item arrives and then the condition at which it arrives will kill any anxious buyer. It simply doesn't worth a trial or hassle.

I only use ebay to buy battery, cable, filter or likewise. Even if seller is scammed, I would not mind the loose.

The only way I buy a large sum item from ebay (Twice in past - both Cars) is that item is in my neighborhood and place of residence. I contact the seller and arrange a pre-auction-closure visit of item, also get his consent ahead of time that money will be paid in person, cash, as item is hand over to me. Then I make sure to have a good size witness with me on that day of transaction, in case...

no No NO.

Don't even think of it. You will be regretting big time no mater what the outcome would be.
Additionally most true deals on ebay are very close to the final price you can comfortably find elsewhere in conventional way.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

steve75
535 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 13, 2013 03:01 |  #12

I would say the same as DreDaze.... Pay with paypal and make sure your credit card is the form of payment used via your paypal and you pretty much have yourself covered.

On the flipside, I wouldn't want to sell something of that value through ebay as it's the seller that is the more vunerable party! Ebay, paypal don't seem to care if their sellers get screwed over.

As said though, you would be better to find someone reputable to buy from rather than a new seller, but make sure you buy using 1.paypal 2. Your credit card linked to paypal. DO NOT EVER USE A BALANCE THAT IS SITTING IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT! Clear the balance to your bank account and always use a credit card (not a debit card)

Ideally keep an eye out on the sellers location for someone thats within a distance you would be happy to travel and view the lens before hand and collect.

Ask lots of questions, find out sellers name and an address, just the area they are in will be helpful. Ask for additional photos of the lens of particular details you would like to see, also ask them to include in the picture a copy of todays newspaper with date clear to be seen, all this shows the lens at least exists. Ask them to send you images shot with the lens including exif info. Check the exif Info to see if the name they have given you is listed in the exif, or other contact info is in the exif. If there is web address in the exif, visit it, see who it belongs to. Google any info you can and see if you can link it all together, find them on facebook etc. There are plenty of things you can do to help confirm they are legit and minimise the risk.

The most important thing to remember though is that of the priceis too good to be true, then it probably is! New seller, crazy cheap price = AVOID.

If after all that though you have any feelings of doubt or unease then walk away.

Current gear: EOS 7D w/ BG-E7
300mm f4L IS, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 85mm f1.8, 1.4x mkII tc, 430ex.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 13, 2013 03:02 |  #13

ok, Samsen...so how much money did you lose on ebay?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 13, 2013 10:12 |  #14

April wrote in post #15822392 (external link)
:) So, either I give up the idea of a 500mm or somehow convince myself to spend the really really big bucks for a new one.

Why is it eBay or new? Why not buy one from a trusted member on a site like this one? Plenty of them come up for sale.

I also would not have a problem buying the lens on eBay from someone with plenty of feedback (recent feedback preferred), a history of selling $$$ photo gear, a good return policy, and paying with a credit card through paypal. However I vastly prefer to deal with someone here or on FredMiranda.com. No feedback or history, whether it is eBay, here, or anywhere online, don't do it, not worth the risk.

If you are patient enough you can wait for one to come up for sale near you, so you can meet up in person to inspect the lens, and save shipping and fees.

Or you can wait for a used copy to come up at BH or Adorama's used department, or KEH.com. KEH had one in EX condition for like $6,500 a month ago, barely more than used value on here and eBay, with a 14 day no questions return, and 6 month warranty.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 13, 2013 10:25 |  #15

Everyones got to start on eBay at some point.

Theres are lots of indicators of legit vs scam. Is the sellers post thrown together or does it look like someone who put in the time and effort?

Ebay and PayPal do have you covered for the most part, assuming you play by the rules, keep everything through them, including communication.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

sponsored links

9,967 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you buy a 500mm f4L on ebay?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.