Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 18:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hope my daughter didn't ruin this photographers day too badly.

this thread is locked
drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2013 09:26 |  #526

Thorrulz wrote in post #15823198 (external link)
After hearing this comment I wonder if there is a calibrated lie machine. Because if the ladies can get ahold of an affordable one and start seeing the differences between white, gray and bold face lies, us men are in big trouble.

Heh, as if women don't like in equal or greater amounts ;-)a

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links
CMfromIL
THREAD ­ STARTER
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 13, 2013 09:30 |  #527

drvnbysound wrote in post #15823155 (external link)
I have - twice actually. Nothing was forced upon me.

The sample wasn't FORCED. We've certainly established that there is a way to opt-out. No, it's not convenient, but it's certainly not FORCED!

Granted, not 'forced' at gunpoint but the system is set up to default 'take picture'.

I would agree that if the opt out policy were much easier, perhaps more kids wouldn't participate. But that isn't in the schools interest, nor LifeTouch.

I, and pretty much all other parents simply work under the rules as established. There is not an easy 'opt-out' mechanism. There is no penalty for having the picture taken, and not buy. In fact, that's the default and preferred method of the vendor.

So to try and make this some sort of capital case about 'wasting' both LifeTouch and the photographers time is simply folly. We did what they want, and are actually going to buy the product.

So who was harmed again?

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

CMfromIL
THREAD ­ STARTER
623 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 13, 2013 09:32 |  #528

RandyMN wrote in post #15823127 (external link)
*EDIT* I missed the fact that these were Jr High kids. That does add a bit of disrespect and takes the 'Kid' factor out of it.

So I assume then that you are now firmly in the 'pro-stoning' crowd? Or are you more of the 'burn the witch' crowd because other kids followed after and made funny faces?

You have to make a decision. I need to either gather rocks, or begin building a fire pit. I don't have time for both.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

Elfstop
717 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 13, 2013 09:34 |  #529

She lied. You failed as a parent when you justified that lie by saying her mother is European. She only knew that AFTER you told her AFTER the lie. She will never be able to give away school photos to her friends. She had to tell her friends that her Dad takes all her photos because he thinks he is better than Lifetouch. To fit in during picture day she drew attention to herself by acting out. After 35 pages of non-sense you are still wrong for condoning her behavior. She is the victim not you or Lifetouch. I looked at photos from Lifetouch and from your site...Facebook?..You should quit and sell your camera.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2013 09:35 |  #530

OhLook wrote in post #15823161 (external link)
It's still a lie unless she's invented a time machine and she hopped into it on photo day to grab information from the future. If she has, I suggest we switch to that topic. It's sure to be more important than this one.

CMfromIL wrote in post #15823199 (external link)
So it's possible to lie while telling the truth. That's an interesting thought.

What I've read was this...

She wasn't actually told by her mother to pose like this, yet she told the photographer what she did. Sounds like a lie, looks like a lie... probably was. She didn't plan on her parents actually buying the picture(s). However, because of her 'acts' the parents found it amusing and are probably going to buy the picture(s). So, the latter makes the former a half truth (or half lie; I guess that depends if you are an optimist/pessimist)... the mother is OK with the former, but having not known the future the daughter did originally lie - regardless of the outcome. :confused:

Does any of this actually matter? Probably not. Not to the parents or to any of us who have wasted the time reading, following, and posting along. But again, since we all have opinions... it's fun to play along!

However, I've got a bit of work to do today... So, I'll catch back up with you guys/gals later! :)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,829 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 13, 2013 09:35 |  #531

CMfromIL wrote in post #15823199 (external link)
So it's possible to lie while telling the truth. That's an interesting thought.

Yes, it's possible to lie while making a true statement.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2013 09:43 |  #532

CMfromIL wrote in post #15823211 (external link)
Granted, not 'forced' at gunpoint but the system is set up to default 'take picture'.

I would agree that if the opt out policy were much easier, perhaps more kids wouldn't participate. But that isn't in the schools interest, nor LifeTouch.

I, and pretty much all other parents simply work under the rules as established. There is not an easy 'opt-out' mechanism. There is no penalty for having the picture taken, and not buy. In fact, that's the default and preferred method of the vendor.

So to try and make this some sort of capital case about 'wasting' both LifeTouch and the photographers time is simply folly. We did what they want, and are actually going to buy the product.

So who was harmed again?

My point was, likewise you aren't forced to take the samples at Costco... As someone attempted to say that your daughter was FORCED to take the picture. The photographer probably wasn't holding a gun, and there is no gun at the sample stand of Costco.

EDIT: It wouldn't be any different if Costco decided to make a single file hall to enter the store, had a sample stand at the end, and required you to take one, or sign a form enabling you to opt-out. I know those who would do as my earlier scenario indicated... you'd take the sample and trash it, because it's the path of least resistance.

I've said many times that no one was harmed... just disrespected via child behavior. Just like it would be disrespectful for you to take the sample from the tray and throw it into the trash. It's not malicious in a harmful way, but it's done in a poor 'taste'.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2013 09:43 |  #533

Chris wrote in post #15823088 (external link)
I thought it was a funny story. Thanks for sharing.

No you dont! elrey2375 have made an expert statement telling us that no one but the parent will find this kind of situations funny. And he must know. After all - why else would he make such a claim? :p

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

CMfromIL
THREAD ­ STARTER
623 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 13, 2013 09:45 |  #534

Elfstop wrote in post #15823217 (external link)
She lied. You failed as a parent when you justified that lie by saying her mother is European. She only knew that AFTER you told her AFTER the lie. She will never be able to give away school photos to her friends. She had to tell her friends that her Dad takes all her photos because he thinks he is better than Lifetouch. To fit in during picture day she drew attention to herself by acting out. After 35 pages of non-sense you are still wrong for condoning her behavior. She is the victim not you or Lifetouch. I looked at photos from Lifetouch and from your site...Facebook?..You should quit and sell your camera.

You are delusional. There's really nothing left to add, except that you sound like a bitter old man grasping in the last few years of your life to sound relevant. But really, you just sound like a lunatic off their meds. Never give pictures away at school? Get out of your way-back machine...this isn't 1937 when picture taking was a family affair. She's got thousands of pictures to share with her friends.

Your classless attacks on a minor speak volumes of your character and moral being.

And lastly, I'm pretty sure my daughter knows her mother is European. It's not some big family secret we've been holding on to for 'just the right moment'.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2013 09:48 |  #535

drvnbysound wrote in post #15823155 (external link)
I have - twice actually. Nothing was forced upon me.

The sample wasn't FORCED. We've certainly established that there is a way to opt-out. No, it's not convenient, but it's certainly not FORCED!

But the girl isn't allowed to sign that form. So forced on the girl. So no need to SHOUT.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2013 09:51 |  #536

You should quit and sell your camera.

Now we have a winner in most disrespectful person of this thread.

And from the photo, I'd say you are even a grown-up.

Great work. Now come and collect your price.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,829 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 13, 2013 09:52 |  #537

She will never be able to give away school photos to her friends.

This year, she won't have to. She'll be able to sell them!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

12Rock
616 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 13, 2013 09:53 |  #538

2 more cents, you have in intention of buying (as your originally stated till you took a few hits) then just say so and save all involved time . don't go on the line . . It's not a good idea to have fun at someone else's expense , in this case someone trying to make a living doing their job. NOt sure what anyone else here does for a living but I would bet they would not be happy if folks went to their job and took up their time and made fun at their expense . Everyone is entitled to their opinion , this is mine

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,722 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 13, 2013 09:53 |  #539

Actually there wasn't much else to add after the first few posts. But with all the wild and wacky turns this thread has taken, I'll have to admit it's been interesting reading how intense some of the posts have been.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentacon 645D I SMC FA 645 75 f2.8
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 13, 2013 09:54 |  #540

pwm2 wrote in post #15823249 (external link)
But the girl isn't allowed to sign that form. So forced on the girl. So no need to SHOUT.

Lol, Are the parents allowed to sign the form? Yes.

So, could she have been removed from this situation? Yes. Therefore, there was a choice.

Additionally, I'm quite certain that she could have lied and said that her religion did not allow her to be photographed and the school/teacher would have removed her from the line.

If, in 15 years, she choose a religion where this were true, would it have then negated the previous lie? No.

sponsored links

34,729 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hope my daughter didn't ruin this photographers day too badly.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.