Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Apr 2013 (Saturday) 20:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's wrong with my lens?

ColbyL
52 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 13, 2013 20:50 |  #1

So, today I took my camera out and took some pictures since it was an absolutely beautiful day. The only problem was that my camera was acting odd. I was shooting on Manual at mainly 1/320 F8.0 ISO 200 but the shots either came out too blurry, over exposed or under exposed even when shot at the exact object at the exact stand point. It was a very bright day today, was I shooting at the correct settings or no?

I then took my camera out just then to try and take a couple good photos of the moon as it was a waxing crescent moon. The last time I took a picture of the moon, I shot it on Manual at 1/250 F8.0 ISO 200 at 200mm. The picture came out very good. However, when I turned my camera on tonight, I couldn't see anything and when I tried to take a couple pictures of the moon it would turn the waxing crescent into a "full moon" and the picture would come out blank (black). I turned it on every other mode and all the modes are blank (completely black). What have I done to my camera and how I can I fix it?

When I take a picture in the light or the dark, it takes the brightness all the way over to -2 on all settings and it stays there. Also, on the Manual setting, I have it on the S setting and oddly right beside the S setting, it has a sun beside it.

Yes, the lens cap is off.

sponsored links
TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 13, 2013 20:58 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I don't understand your problem. Please post a shot with EXIF intact, and state what is wrong with it.

Gear List

ColbyL
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 13, 2013 21:03 |  #3

TSchrief, sorry to ask but what does EXIF intact mean and how do I post a picture of it on here?

JuvarAbrera
677 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 13, 2013 21:14 |  #4

Try uploading it to Flickr (external link). If you don't have an account, then make one. After uploading it, share the image to us. There we can see the meta data.

Juvar, 18 || Flickr (external link)

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 13, 2013 21:18 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

EXIF is the settings on your camera which are embedded in the photo itself. When you want to post a shot, hit the "GO ADVANCED" button under the text box. You can upload and attach a photo from there.

Gear List

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,394 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 13, 2013 23:47 |  #6

if it goes all the way over to -2 when your in the other modes, your exposure compensation is put there...use the exposure compensation (+/-) button to bring it back to zero...and if your exposure is off when your shooting in manual mode...you shouldn't be shooting in manual mode...you're all to blame for that

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

5280Pics
Goldmember
2,515 posts
Gallery: 325 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 14, 2013 00:25 |  #7

Which camera boby?
What did your on-board light meter say the exsposer was at the time you took the shot?

-3...-2...-1...0...+1...+2...+3?

ColbyL
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 14, 2013 11:57 |  #8

DreDaze, I have tried to set it back to zero but when I do and try to take a picture it automatically sets to -2 again. Was I shooting with my exposure off? I had everything set how it was suppose to be set. What happens if you shoot with your exposure off?

5280Pics, I use a T2i. I set it to 0 and when I took the shot it took the picture at -2.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2013 12:22 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

We NEED to know what settings you have applied on your camera in order to help you effectively. Please post a shot with the EXIF data intact. This sounds to me like you really need to read the manual and get to know and understand what your camera is doing.

Set the camera to FULL-AUTO (green box) mode and take a shot. If it works there, you are the problem. If it doesn't, something is wrong with the camera.

Gear List

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,394 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 14, 2013 13:21 |  #10

ColbyL wrote in post #15826538 (external link)
DreDaze, I have tried to set it back to zero but when I do and try to take a picture it automatically sets to -2 again. Was I shooting with my exposure off? I had everything set how it was suppose to be set. What happens if you shoot with your exposure off?

5280Pics, I use a T2i. I set it to 0 and when I took the shot it took the picture at -2.

if you're taking pictures in manual and the exposure is under-exposed, or over-exposed...then yes your exposure is off, and you had the wrong settings...

set the camera to AV mode, choose an aperture...take a picture...the exposure compensation should be at 0 to start...if it's not you need to move it up or down until it is there..

posting just one picture with exif(don't save for web) that you're unhappy with would do more than anything you can type out

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2013 14:07 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

ColbyL,

If you can't figure out how to post a picture, I will help. Contact my by 'private message' and I'll send you my e-mail address. You can e-mail me a jpg and I will post it for you. To send a private message, click on my name (above my kitty picture) and select "Send private message to TSchrief".

Gear List

Bill ­ Emmett
201 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 14, 2013 16:05 |  #12

You may have inadvertently changed a setting in the camera. After all this testing/adjusting go to one of the menus in the camera, and look for "set back to default settings" press this, and if you still have the problem you may have to send the camera back to Canon. The problem is not within the lens, but in your camera.

New Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender

5280Pics
Goldmember
2,515 posts
Gallery: 325 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 14, 2013 17:11 |  #13

ColbyL wrote in post #15826538 (external link)

You most likely turned your exposure compensation to -2 unknowingly.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2013 18:15 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

We need a photograph. This is getting pointless.

Gear List

sponsored links

3,537 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's wrong with my lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.