Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 22, 2013 06:02 |  #691

Thom0pson wrote in post #15639151 (external link)
The best thing is a transmitter and receiver combo cost less than a single Radio Popper or Flex unit.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

It's more of a point that I need things to work, every time. I was on a automobile shoot today on location. Very bad for me. I'd gladly pay 10, 000 for a reliable system. The PW TTL system was horrific.

sponsored links
Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 22, 2013 15:28 |  #692

dwdallam wrote in post #15639181 (external link)
Yes I tested in several locations now. Just got a email back from Phottix saying the unit was defective. So I'll be sending it back.

Sweet, that's an easy fix then :cool:

I always have at least 2 set of radio triggers on important shoots, just encase something like this happens.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 22, 2013 17:29 |  #693

elv wrote in post #15639699 (external link)
That's not always the case, PW will tell you the same thing themselves. Its not uncommon to have no problems until a NiHN cell goes off a little either. But please yourself.

I understand what you're saying. However, if your device works with AK batteries but malfunctions with NiMH batteries, I would say your device is defective (even though you have found a workaround).
NiMH batteries? http://eznec.com …vs_1.2_Volt_Bat​teries.pdf (external link)

I also understand that the transmitter is a low load device so the AK will maintain it's 1.5v longer than when under load, which drops to below 1.1v under a 500mw load condition. Even so, if the Odin transmitter is operating with a 1.5v amperage but fails at 1.38v, I'd say it's defective (fresh NiMH operate at around 1.38v).

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 22, 2013 17:33 |  #694

Moppie wrote in post #15641064 (external link)
Sweet, that's an easy fix then :cool:

I always have at least 2 set of radio triggers on important shoots, just encase something like this happens.

Sure I have two cameras too and 6 flashes and a canon STE2, but redundancy has to stop somewhere. I'd love to have 2 1DS MKIII cameras instead of one. But that is 12, 000 US. I was going to buy another Odin transmitter, but I can only get them with a transmitter and a receiver, unless I want to order them from Hong Kong. That's another 350 bucks.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 22, 2013 17:40 |  #695

Eventually you run out of shoulders and room in the car to carry it all :)

My second set of triggers are little Phottix Asters, just simple dumb remote triggers.
I've had to use them once though, a set of batteries in the Odins failed and rather than try and trouble shoot in front of a customer I just pulled out the Asters and away we go again.
Not as convenient or easy to use as the Odins, but they did the job.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 22, 2013 17:58 |  #696

Moppie wrote in post #15641510 (external link)
Eventually you run out of shoulders and room in the car to carry it all :)

My second set of triggers are little Phottix Asters, just simple dumb remote triggers.
I've had to use them once though, a set of batteries in the Odins failed and rather than try and trouble shoot in front of a customer I just pulled out the Asters and away we go again.
Not as convenient or easy to use as the Odins, but they did the job.

Luckily it didn't rattle me too much, although I was visually pissed. I had to work with the PW TTL system for two years and that was just a horrible experience, so when the Odin started to act up, I'd just about had it. I just kept shooting and hoping all the flashes would fire, and I did get the image (several actually) I was looking for, although I didn't get to do all I wanted--we would have ran out of location time anyway.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 22, 2013 18:41 as a reply to  @ dwdallam's post |  #697

Make sure all your triggers and transmitter have the latest firmware.

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 22, 2013 22:55 |  #698

butterfly2937 wrote in post #15641748 (external link)
Make sure all your triggers and transmitter have the latest firmware.

Really?

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 01, 2013 23:12 |  #699

I received my replacement TCU. I'm extremely happy and relieved to report that at approximately 70 meters on camera (I stopped at that distance) and in manual mode using 1/128 power, all flashes fired every time. My old TCU must have been bad.

jshalvorsen
57 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Mar 12, 2013 04:13 |  #700

Does anyone know if you can use the Odins/Canon flashes with a Fuji camera in manual mode?

Unless anyone can test this before me, I will post my findings as soon as I get my x100s.

5D MKII | 35 1.4L | 50 2.5 CM | 85 1.8 | 70-200 2.8L II | 2X III
580 ex II | 2 X 430 ex II | Phottix Odin | Westcott Apollo Orb + 28" softbox

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 12, 2013 07:20 |  #701

jshalvorsen wrote in post #15705428 (external link)
Does anyone know if you can use the Odins/Canon flashes with a Fuji camera in manual mode?

Unless anyone can test this before me, I will post my findings as soon as I get my x100s.

Unfortunately not, the Odin require the full Canon TTL pins to operate at all really.

All you can do is use Strato II or Atlas II with the Fuji, and then use those as extra receivers with the Odin on your Canon. The Strato II, or Atlas II won't fire Odin receivers either.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,268 posts
Gallery: 227 photos
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 13, 2013 10:59 |  #702

A question:

Is there a way to use my Sekonic 758 Light Meter with the Odin the way I was able to with the PWII's? Or is the chimping the only way to go with the Odin?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 13, 2013 11:41 |  #703

I've seen on this forum where someone was able to take apart a cactus V5 unit and create a chip like the pocket wizard module for the sekonic meter. I haven't heard of anyone doing it with an Odin yet.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

PeyDay17
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 13, 2013 22:57 as a reply to  @ PLLphotography's post |  #704

Just picked up a set! Seems to work pretty well! It's a much better setup than my 33' ttl cable.

SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear and Feedback

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 13, 2013 23:35 |  #705

Interesting.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

181,702 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.