Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!

PeyDay17
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 14, 2013 00:27 as a reply to  @ post 15825319 |  #706

After reading the manual, I have a problem right out of the box. The LCD screen doesn't backlight when I press any of the buttons. The manual says press any button and it will light for 10 seconds. Ugh...

SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
PeyDay17
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 14, 2013 12:49 as a reply to  @ PeyDay17's post |  #707

I just took the TCU back to the store and they replaced it no questions asked. I bought another receiver while I was in there! I love the simplicity of the Odins.

SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear and Feedback

phatrick
181 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 14, 2013 12:58 |  #708

^ They are great arent they?

I have my phottix odin set up on the listings with an extra receiver.

In case anyone wants it.

Sad to see it go cause it performs so well, but I'm moving towards pocket wizards because of my strobe set up.

5D Mark II | Tokina 10-17mm | 24-70L | 35Σ | 50L | 85L | 135L

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 14, 2013 16:33 |  #709

phatrick wrote in post #15826737 (external link)
Sad to see it go cause it performs so well, but I'm moving towards pocket wizards because of my strobe set up.

Why not Phottix Atlas or Stratos?

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 14, 2013 16:38 |  #710

Moppie wrote in post #15827404 (external link)
Why not Phottix Atlas or Stratos?

I was thinking the same thing. You can use the Odins too if you want to.I have done it.

phatrick
181 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 14, 2013 16:47 |  #711

I've used plus II's in the past, and although I don't deny the reliability of the Phottix products, I need some of the things the Plus III offers. Mainly the fact that any of them work as a TX/RX, the battery meter (this was such a pain having my receivers die mid session!), and the remote camera trigger.

I was using a separate trigger in the studio for the camera which dangled off because the hot shoe was taken up by the Odin.

I haven't looked into the simplier triggers from phottix, but I just know for a professional reason, I feel more comfortable with the plus III system. Plus I got a sweet deal on a set.

I know most of the people with Phottix are against PW, and I completely have points that I agree with on that side. But there are some things I so wish the Odin had!

It sucks giving up ETTL metering on my speedlites, but I just can't justify having different systems for each thing I own, I'd rather invest that in some new lenses :D

EDIT: Just looked at the Atlas II. Nice! It has the remote shutter release and functionality as both a transmitter and receiver.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,845 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 14, 2013 16:56 |  #712

phatrick wrote in post #15827460 (external link)
EDIT: Just looked at the Atlas II. Nice! It has the remote shutter release and functionality as both a transmitter and receiver.

And the Stratos does similar things, while also having a pass through ETT-L for use on the camera.

flickr (external link)

phatrick
181 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 14, 2013 17:06 |  #713

Nice Kudos to Phottix for making affordable great equipment.

I will admit a part of the reason upgrading is also for the professional appeal. Aesthetically, the plus III's do outshine my Odin setup.

Maybe I'll consider some Stratos in the future for ETTL. Though the Odin was a great convenience, I just couldn't afford to have two TX for events.

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 18, 2013 14:47 |  #714

Has Phottix ever released updates so the 1DX will work? I know they said they would be doing a huge update, but at this point all I want to see is for their product to work as described. Anything else would be nice, but they can do that later.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 18, 2013 22:41 |  #715

Stickman wrote in post #15842350 (external link)
Has Phottix ever released updates so the 1DX will work? I know they said they would be doing a huge update, but at this point all I want to see is for their product to work as described. Anything else would be nice, but they can do that later.

Not yet

It will be announced here when it is ready.

http://journal.phottix​.com …nual-adjustment-firmware/ (external link)

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,845 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 21, 2013 00:07 |  #716

Here's an example of what you do with the Odin:

https://photography-on-the.net …p=15850428&post​count=7370

This was her second ever photo shoot, she needed coaching and some directing. This was outside, but quite late in the evening. I had an assistant holding a light stand with an umbrella with a 550ex inside it, and a bare 550ex on the ground.
The bare 550 was in manual mode and I was able to use the one in the umbrella in ETTL and move around, both myself and the light with out having to re-meter every time the distance changed.

It all meant the shoot was very smooth and seamless, with little interruptions and changing settings was extremely easy all right from the camera.

flickr (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 21, 2013 08:39 |  #717

Moppie wrote in post #15850436 (external link)
Here's an example of what you do with the Odin:

https://photography-on-the.net …p=15850428&post​count=7370

This was her second ever photo shoot, she needed coaching and some directing. This was outside, but quite late in the evening. I had an assistant holding a light stand with an umbrella with a 550ex inside it, and a bare 550ex on the ground.
The bare 550 was in manual mode and I was able to use the one in the umbrella in ETTL and move around, both myself and the light with out having to re-meter every time the distance changed.

It all meant the shoot was very smooth and seamless, with little interruptions and changing settings was extremely easy all right from the camera.

Moppie,
That is a beautiful shot!

BigDil
84 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 21, 2013 09:21 |  #718

Stickman wrote in post #15842350 (external link)

Well I missed that one! What sort of thing are they planning? Manual control with the Odin without preflash would be nice - Is that on the cards?

EOS 5D MKIII, EOS 5d MKII, EOS 70D, AE1, Tamron 17-35 Di, Tamron 28-75 Di, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, Canon 16-35L, Canon 24-105L , Canon 100-400L , Canon f1.4 50mm USM, Canon EF II 1.4X TC, Canon EF II 2X TC, Canon 580 EX, Canon 430 EX, Canon 580 EXII, Canon 430 EXII, Canon STE2, a bunch of Phottix Strato 4 in 1 Receivers and Transmitters, Sekonic L558, another bunch of Phottix Odin Receivers and Transmitter units, Lee Filters

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 21, 2013 12:46 |  #719

I have the Odins and love them. Wireless E-TTL that flat out works in all situations (unlike Canon's optical based wireless that gets confused in bright daylight and when there's no line of sight) is simply awesome.

But is there a way to trigger the receivers with a cheaper manual-only transmitter that can be used on other camera brands? Specifically I'm looking for a way to trigger my Canon Odin receivers and 580EX II flashes from an Olympus E-M5. Is this possible, say with a Strato II transmitter?

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 01, 2013 18:19 |  #720

Is anyone having problems with misfires? Last night I started getting them on the first shot after the flashes went to sleep or after camera setting changes.

Also, when in bulb mode, and second curtain, I was getting a flash at the start and the finish of the exposure. Flashes were all 580EX IIs in ETTL mode. Camera in bulb.

sponsored links

181,300 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.