Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 16 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lets Talk Image Delivery - USB, CD, Cloud, Other?

RobTs
71 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 10, 2013 10:00 |  #31

For everyone using flash drives, what size do you order? A lot of our weddings clear 8GB worth of jpegs, and I am wondering if the cost for 16GB drives is significantly more.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 10, 2013 12:08 |  #32

RobTs wrote in post #15811550 (external link)
For everyone using flash drives, what size do you order? A lot of our weddings clear 8GB worth of jpegs, and I am wondering if the cost for 16GB drives is significantly more.

I resize the images so they fit on a 4 gig DVD.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 10, 2013 20:59 |  #33

8GB flash drives work for us.

Plenty of space for approx 500 hi-res, 500 lo-res and 200 creative edits which is how many we normally deliver.

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 11, 2013 00:26 |  #34

I have been using DVDs, but I've just changed to branded USB sticks in nice wooden boxes from pegaxon tech.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 11, 2013 00:41 |  #35

tim wrote in post #15814655 (external link)
I have been using DVDs, but I've just changed to branded USB sticks in nice wooden boxes from pegaxon tech.

be careful with pexagon, the last order I got from them at least 50% were DOA.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 11, 2013 02:56 |  #36

awad wrote in post #15814679 (external link)
be careful with pexagon, the last order I got from them at least 50% were DOA.

Interesting. Did they not work at all, or random failures? I'd better run a check of the USB drives then, thanks. If anyone can suggest a good piece of software to check usb sticks I'd be interested. I'm using "Check Flash", which I use for memory cards and seems to be ok for it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 11, 2013 10:17 |  #37

tim wrote in post #15814873 (external link)
Interesting. Did they not work at all, or random failures? I'd better run a check of the USB drives then, thanks. If anyone can suggest a good piece of software to check usb sticks I'd be interested. I'm using "Check Flash", which I use for memory cards and seems to be ok for it.

Never worked at all. Wouldn't show up on the computer. Pexagon replaced them all, but the issue is how long they take to ship. Really messed with my delivery time tables. Just a headache.

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 11, 2013 17:42 |  #38

I and a few other photographers I know have had great service from Flashbay.

When I first enquired, they sent us a sample box with about 50 different designs - I received this within 1 day of the call (express mail delivered from HK to NZ).

Then when I finalised my order, the products arrived within 1 week. We've just gone through our first lot of orders and they all worked, so will be looking at buying from them again.

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 11, 2013 23:42 |  #39

awad wrote in post #15815760 (external link)
Never worked at all. Wouldn't show up on the computer. Pexagon replaced them all, but the issue is how long they take to ship. Really messed with my delivery time tables. Just a headache.

Sounds like a bad batch. All companies have problems, it's how they deal with them that counts. Also best to have backup plans for things like that, though you can't plan for everything.

So far I've tried four of my USB drives, with thorough read/write tests. All four register, one passed, three are testing. I'll test the rest over the next day.

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 12, 2013 00:18 |  #40

tim wrote in post #15818415 (external link)
Sounds like a bad batch. All companies have problems, it's how they deal with them that counts. Also best to have backup plans for things like that, though you can't plan for everything.

So far I've tried four of my USB drives, with thorough read/write tests. All four register, one passed, three are testing. I'll test the rest over the next day.

Yeah, for sure. The only reason I said anything is because I've talked to a couple of photographers who had the same thing happen to them.

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 12, 2013 00:50 |  #41

Always good to know. They all register fine, just testing them now, so far all test out fine.

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 13, 2013 14:55 |  #42

Just reporting back that all 8 USB drives from Pexagon work perfectly. They reported not errors in a read/write test, and formatted fine.

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 13, 2013 14:59 |  #43

Phew!

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 14, 2013 15:36 |  #44

tim wrote in post #15824041 (external link)
Just reporting back that all 8 USB drives from Pexagon work perfectly. They reported not errors in a read/write test, and formatted fine.

...how much did the shipping cost Tim, if you don't mind me asking? I recently bought this from WHCC (external link): fantastic quality but I didn't go through Youshop and it cost me more to ship it than it did for the case! ($55.00 to be precise, I nearly had a heart attack when I got billed for it) This is how it was shipped (external link): they insisted the freight charge wasn't "volumetric" but I can't believe it. Feel free to PM it rather than post it here. Cheers mate.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 14, 2013 17:56 |  #45

scorpio_e wrote in post #15810187 (external link)
Thumb drives are too easy to erase.

Yes but I think most people see these as being a way to transfer the files, not to provide archive fool proof storage. And as Tim said, you cant fully protect people from stupidity :)

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sponsored links

10,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lets Talk Image Delivery - USB, CD, Cloud, Other?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.