Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 10 Jan 2006 (Tuesday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Boston POTN Meet (2)

this thread is locked
symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 14, 2013 13:50 |  #6916

remotehuman wrote in post #15823277 (external link)
Brendan you might like my chair I got from work yesterday. It's out of an 03 wrx

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND

Haha, you didn't have to tell me, i know where that came from. You need to use an STI seat! Time for an upgrade.

sponsored links
scotteisenphotography
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 14, 2013 15:42 |  #6917

Been meaning to get these images togetehr for a bit. You guys know I was in Haiti a few weeks ago, and was there in the Summer as well. I finally can post these publicly since I've had over 2 weeks since they're been turned in... these are not in any specific order, or in an order to tell a story, but just some of my favorite images from my two trips. love to know what you all think.

http://scotteisenphoto​.com/haiti.html (external link)

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 14, 2013 17:41 |  #6918

Great series.

I'm always amazed to see wherever PJs go that are really poverty stricken that the kids are smiling. It's good to see them enjoying life at some point before they become to hard once they grow older.

Christian.

Compact ­ Diss
Goldmember
1,432 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 14, 2013 18:09 |  #6919

sansational wrote in post #15824987 (external link)
If anyone is going to the Boston Marathon on Monday, and would like to sit in the bleachers after 2PM, I have a pass. Only rule is that I need to get on them by 3:30-3:45 to get pics of my g/f passing through.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/andrewsan/86474​08672/  (external link)
Seating Pass (external link) by andrewjsan (external link), on Flickr

Well, anyone besides Scott.

Best of luck to her! I'll be around the city most of the day.

Boston Street Photographyexternal link
Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

t3ichef
275 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 14, 2013 20:43 as a reply to  @ Compact Diss's post |  #6920

if anyone has a couple minutes...please let me know what you think about this slideshow

http://www.flickr.com …s/7215763324455​1159/show/ (external link)

they aren't all finished pictures, but a lot are edited...i went to a motorcycle stunt show and thought they came out OK...

i have a difficult time grabbing focus, and im not sure if it's me or the camera, but it just seems like for one, shooting in anything other than center focus point is absolutely pointless, as everything i shoot comes out OOF...secondly, shooting action using the 1/3rd rule is next to impossible because my center focus point is in the center, and i can't choose an outside focus point. and im not super confident in the focus in general, because when i lock onto a target and hold down the focus button in servo mode, i can hear the USM constantly adjusting, even when the subject isn't moving...its these micro adjustments that i feel like throw a lot of my pictures OOF...any insight on that? is that the cameras crappy AF?

anyway...thanks for any input.

also...all pics are with t3i+70-200f4 non is with camera in Av mode and center focus point...some are badly out of focus mostly because a few i used all focus points, and a couple i was just moving my camera too much.

adamsheehy
485 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 15, 2013 06:19 |  #6921

symbolphoto wrote in post #15820022 (external link)
Thanks. Luckily it was a car with enough gonads to make use of it. On Top Gear it ranked between an Audi R8 and Noble M12 GTO-3R. Not bad for a car that is a fraction of the price...

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …est_track_Power​_Lap_Times (external link)

It's a damn shame the FQ never came to the states....

symbolphoto wrote in post #15820263 (external link)
They only costed me money and after costing me money, they cost me more money. I was into cars for 15 years, if i were to guess how much money i dumped into it, i'd guess over 300k. That's a damned house.

Then i got into photography. I lost all interest in cars, i don't even change my own oil anymore. I drive a freakin' Honda Fit and i couldn't be happier. It's all about Point A to Point B.

I remember attending a POTN meet like 5 years ago with a guy Steve xxx i think his name is/was. He used to be on here all the time. Anyway, i'm not saying his car was a piece of crap, it was a fine car, but i'm sure it cost less than has 500mm lens. That's when it really struck a chord with me.

It purely became a Point A to Point B thing for me. I can't imagine paying 40k for a car now... i guess everyone's priorities are different. But i know that i treat a car like it's purely utilitarian now. Who am i trying to impress? Just get me there in 1 piece and i'm happy.

Funny sidebar - When i photograph weddings at really nice hotels, they always valet my car and put it way in the back some where. I just laugh... sorry i don't drive a Bentley, i'm working on it. :)

If you have any pointers for being able to view cars as strictly modes of transportation from point A to B, please let me know cause I would love to be able to get out of dropping more $$ into them.

I need to get a new car this year cause the Evo is past 100k and is starting to lose its ability as a DD and the IS300 is on my list of things to dismantle and part out this year, but there is just about nothing on the market right now that I'm interested in. Hate the look of the new Evos, so it might boil down to an STI, although I'm not exactly a fan. Only other car in the running is an Exige, but I'm not entirely sure that I'm of the age where I can deal with zero practicality for the next few years... I would KILL to be able to get a Pilot or something and be done with it.

flickr (external link)

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 15, 2013 06:32 |  #6922

scotteisenphotography wrote in post #15827237 (external link)
Been meaning to get these images togetehr for a bit. You guys know I was in Haiti a few weeks ago, and was there in the Summer as well. I finally can post these publicly since I've had over 2 weeks since they're been turned in... these are not in any specific order, or in an order to tell a story, but just some of my favorite images from my two trips. love to know what you all think.

Nice set did you have any problems out there having that expensive camera in such a poor country

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 15, 2013 06:55 |  #6923

adamsheehy wrote in post #15829180 (external link)
It's a damn shame the FQ never came to the states....

If you have any pointers for being able to view cars as strictly modes of transportation from point A to B, please let me know cause I would love to be able to get out of dropping more $$ into them.

Oh trust me, your time will come... just look at it this way, is the amount of money your spending on that providing that much fun? Will you get even 50% of the money you put into it over 5 years? Those are questions i asked myself, and the answer was no to both.

Cars are money-pits, plain and simple. Buying and paying off my Honda Fit was the best financial decision I've ever made. If i scratch it, i don't care. Barely any maintenance, no troubles... Hell i could afford an Audi A8/Mercedes S/BMW 7 series if i wanted... but to me, now in my life, i could care less.

Point A to Point B all the way!

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 15, 2013 06:57 |  #6924

scotteisenphotography wrote in post #15827237 (external link)

Scott those are a great series, loved it and wish there were more.

One thing, the text on the page before the gallery is showing up as a non fixed width font. So some words have a weird spacing on them. Try changing it to fixed width font.

Can't wait to see what you do at the AP.

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,663 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 15, 2013 07:15 |  #6925

Until you have kids. I can see you owning a minivan, Brendan.

SmugMug (external link)

silveradomike
502 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 15, 2013 07:17 |  #6926

those look good.
"teach" is an old buddy from the days of DTE. to bad he wasn't there he's unbelievable to watch
I used to shoot them a lot.

slow down the shutter some to show a little more movement.

t3ichef wrote in post #15828204 (external link)
if anyone has a couple minutes...please let me know what you think about this slideshow

http://www.flickr.com …s/7215763324455​1159/show/ (external link)

they aren't all finished pictures, but a lot are edited...i went to a motorcycle stunt show and thought they came out OK...

i have a difficult time grabbing focus, and im not sure if it's me or the camera, but it just seems like for one, shooting in anything other than center focus point is absolutely pointless, as everything i shoot comes out OOF...secondly, shooting action using the 1/3rd rule is next to impossible because my center focus point is in the center, and i can't choose an outside focus point. and im not super confident in the focus in general, because when i lock onto a target and hold down the focus button in servo mode, i can hear the USM constantly adjusting, even when the subject isn't moving...its these micro adjustments that i feel like throw a lot of my pictures OOF...any insight on that? is that the cameras crappy AF?

anyway...thanks for any input.

also...all pics are with t3i+70-200f4 non is with camera in Av mode and center focus point...some are badly out of focus mostly because a few i used all focus points, and a couple i was just moving my camera too much.

flickr (external link)
website (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 15, 2013 08:20 |  #6927

Harm wrote in post #15829287 (external link)
Until you have kids. I can see you owning a minivan, Brendan.

I'll never own a minivan. The surface resistance signature is too high. A stationwagon, perhaps, one day.

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 15, 2013 08:27 |  #6928

Closest I'd get to a minivan is a crossover of some sort. maybe an SUV, but nothing huge (wife already has a CRV so that's fine for our needs).

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 15, 2013 08:53 |  #6929

It baffles me that people who don't use them for work still buy things like pickup trucks. I mean, if you like them and that's your thing, fine, different strokes for different folks.

But do these people see how much of their money goes into the pump just to get that huge hunk of metal moving gracelessly through the wind? Why bother? I'm a huge fan of efficiency. And that's why i can't bring myself to ever buy a truck of any sort.

Even a minivan to me, is overkill. Yes, they market those cool sliding doors and things like that. Are they useful? Surely. Needed? I'd say not. A station wagon while typically just as uncool, will get the job done.

Then there is this: http://www.cadillac.co​m/cts-sport-wagon.html (external link) :)

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,663 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 15, 2013 10:09 |  #6930

I hear you, Brendan.

I am like that at work. Being an engineer, I am constantly yapping on about weight. Make those cars lightweight, will save you so much in the long run. Even reducing a few hundred kg will save you 15% in fuel.

But everyone wants all these mod-cons, which just add on extra weight on top. I went to a institute of mechanical engineering evening, there were a few speakers, and one of them was a guy from one of those F1 teams. We got chatting, and he was on about the weight of their gearbox and parts. The guy was saying that they managed to get the power steering system down to just a fraction over 2lbs and the gearbox was astoundingly light.

hopefully they can move that kind of thinking into road vehicles, albeit with the robustness of everyday useage. But there is so much wasted weight and crap added on for pointless reasons, it annoys me.

When we did get a car (read SUV), it is always for logical reasons, over money, status or impracticality. 4x4 with space, that can handle the snow in upstate NY, and have the power to go up the hills in Vermont. we used to have a POS honda, that would lose speed up those hills in vermont on I-89. So we knew we would have to get something meatier at least.

School-run-mums (as we call them in the UK), who have the biggest vehicles, who are unable to control them or park them, only for going to/from school and shopping, need to be the first to be told to ditch the oversized vehicle for something far more practical.

SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

674,671 views & 0 likes for this thread
Boston POTN Meet (2)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.