Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D tracking

Maurice ­ A.
109 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2013 09:36 |  #1

Can someone please explain the tracking sensitivity C.fn ll-1 for me ?

M. Aucoin

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2013 06:02 |  #2

Well, assuming it's the same as the 7D - it's in the manual!

Actually, this has caused some confusion amongst 7D owners. They (and, originally, I) thought - "Tracking sensitivity - well, obviously I want that to be fast". Changed the setting, and wondewred why AI Servo stopped working properly. I had to play around quite a bit (and actually read the manual) to find out that I really wanted it set on the 'Slow' side.

When shooting birds it's not always easy to keep the focus point on the bird. With the tracking sensitivity set to fast, as soon as you lose the bird the AF starts looking for something else - normally the background. Or, if the bird flies behind a tree then the AF will try to focus on the tree.

With the sensitivity set to 'Slow' the AF system is a bit more laid-back. It'll wait a while before deciding to switch focus - to the background or the tree. That gives you time to re-acquire the bird, or time for it to fly out from behind the tree.

So, for us birders, 'Slow' to 'Medium Slow' is the best setting. HTH

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 15, 2013 06:49 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #3

Thanks for explaining that, Frank. I would have thought (and tried) just the opposite.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

Maurice ­ A.
THREAD ­ STARTER
109 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 15, 2013 07:16 |  #4

Thanks you Frank ,there is not much about this in my manual.

M. Aucoin

mkallstrom
208 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 15, 2013 09:22 |  #5

A related question, has anyone experimented with "Accelerate/decelerate Tracking" and noticed any negative effect of raising the default value of 0? During my last skiing trip I had a problem with AF for a couple of shots similar to this:

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6R83q39JgYs/UWWws-ScNzI/AAAAAAAAE3A/obqQ2fOLpiU/s640/_MG_1829.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://picasaweb.goog​le.com …uH2Oas4?feat=em​bedwebsite  (external link)

There is a bit of front focusing and I thought it could be caused by me lowering the tracking sensitivity (maybe not very logical but I have no idea how these algorithms work) but I now think it was because "Accelerate/decelerate Tracking" was at its lowest value and the skier lost speed quickly once on the water. I'm thinking about raising the setting one step but would like to avoid having problems with constant speed subjects.

flickr (external link) (or Flickriver (external link)), blog (external link), 500px (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 15, 2013 09:56 as a reply to  @ mkallstrom's post |  #6

The confusing thing with Tracking sensitivity is that it actually is Tracking timeout they are talking about. The setting tells the camera how long it will keep on focusing on the subject, even when the AF point that was used to track it has lost sight of the subject, before the camera re-focuses on something further away (usually the more or less distant background).
Nowadays, Canon doesn't give any hard figures for what the different settings imply, but last time they did (1D Mark II) they listed the timeout as 1, 0.75, 0.5 (default), 0.25 and 0.125 s.

Note that this applies to situations where you happen to move the focus point off the subject, or to something one the subject which doesn't have enough contrast. Either the camera will se something far behind the subject, or it will not find anything to focus on. You have the time listed above (or whatever it is today, but somewhere in that ballpark) to get the AF point back on the subject, or either a refocus to the background (if it's measureable by the camera) or a focus search (unless disabled) will be executed.

However, if you are using your camera with multiple focus points enabled, the camera will, when the tracking point looses the subject, instead first check if any other enabled point can see something at about the same distance as your current focus distance is set to, and if so, hand over to that assist point, since it's likely that it's the subject you intend to track that's seen by the assist point, when it's at about the currently focused distance. That's where the subject was just a moment ago.

There is yet another scenario, where something comes in between you and the subject. If that new thing (another football player, light pole or whatever) hits the primary AF point, and is measureable, then the camera will re-focus on that thing immediately, regardless of the sensitivity/timeout setting.
If it's not measureable, i.e. so close that it's outside the range of the AF point with the current focus setting on the lens, then the timeout applies before a focus search is performed.
Provided you have selected to track with more than one point, and that one of your assist points can still see the intended target when the primary point is obscured by the object between you and the target, and you have selected to remove priority from your active point, then you can have the camera follow the original subject in this case too. But the obstruction must be small enough not to obscure the entire main subject, or you loose it anyway.

Lots of settings, and this is for example for a 7D. The 1DX and similar has even more.

Anders

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,262 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 15, 2013 10:00 |  #7

Canon has some good video tutorials at http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …ls/eos_6d_tutor​ials.shtml (external link). scroll left/right to see all topics, one of which is on focusing.

JVthePT
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 16, 2013 05:54 |  #8

hollis_f wrote in post #15829150 (external link)
Well, assuming it's the same as the 7D - it's in the manual!

HTH

You would assume it should be in the manual but, alas, it is not. The 6d manual is terrible and about 1/10th the thickness and depth of info that my 60d's manual has.
Good explanation though!

6D & 7D mark II - Canon 16-35 f/4 IS L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 1.4x III
flickr (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Jul 25, 2015 18:13 |  #9

yea the wording the canon has used isn't the best.

I have found this tho in a pdf document.

I have found this here
http://learn.usa.canon​.com …F_tracking_Quic​kGuide.pdf (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Sin ­ City ­ Stan
99 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 28, 2015 22:10 |  #10

JVthePT wrote in post #15833095 (external link)
The 6d manual is terrible and about 1/10th the thickness and depth of info that my 60d's manual has.
Good explanation though!

The printed 6D manual is lacking. However, the electronic 6D manual is very good. (It's on the CD-ROM that came with the 6D.)

Sin City Stan
Canon 6D & 5D3 EF24-70L 2.8 EF17-40L 4.0 EF70-300L 4.0 EF50 1.8
Yongnuo YN-560 II, 565 EX & Canon 430 EX
http://creationsbysinc​itystan.smugmug.com/ (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 29, 2015 04:39 |  #11

Frequently they only print a quick start guide nowadays.

Anders

sponsored links

5,956 views & 1 like for this thread
6D tracking
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.