Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens recommendations please.

VeggieDSLR
33 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 14, 2013 19:45 |  #1

I have a Canon 500D and looking for a lens that will be great for taking pictures of firearms and other similar inanimate objects. Looking for recommendations up to 500 dollars and if possible the different between recommendations at each end of the price spectrum.

Looked around the search but didn't find anything. I am sure it is there I just didn't find it.

Thanks again. Any other advice on taking the best pictures of the above type would be greatly appreciated.

CANON 500D / EF-S 18-55mm IS

sponsored links
renlok
249 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 14, 2013 23:47 |  #2

With no experience in firearms photography. take what I'm about to write with a massive gain of salt.

I would think about getting something with macro as you can get some good details shots of the firearm, maybe 100mm macro. Non-L would be fine.

Also, if you don't have any flashes, that would be a good place to start looking too.

Renlok (external link) | G+ (external link)
Canon 70D | Canon 5D MKii | 35L | Sigma 24-105 | 100L | 85 | Sigma 150-500

VeggieDSLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 15, 2013 00:20 |  #3

I was under the impression macros were just for super close up. Insects and the like. Is this incorrect?

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,652 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 15, 2013 00:36 |  #4

VeggieDSLR wrote in post #15828782 (external link)
I was under the impression macros were just for super close up. Insects and the like. Is this incorrect?

Macro lenses allow you to focus much closer than you could with a normal lens, probably not needed for shooting guns (no pun intended ;)) unless you wanted to capture fine details like trademarks, bolts, etc. (which I think is what renlok was suggesting)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 15, 2013 00:42 |  #5

VeggieDSLR wrote in post #15828782 (external link)

Macro lenses can be used for that, but they can be used as a "normal" lens as well and are excellent product photography lenses because of their superb optics. Another type of lens that is popular among product photographers are tilt-shift lenses. The 45mm and 90mm are both great, but are fairly specialized pieces of kit.

Neil

The ­ F ­ stops ­ here
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 15, 2013 00:53 |  #6

Agreed on the 100mm macro, pretty versatile in a lot of situations and average about $400 second hand, great lens for the price

JD
Talent will get you far, but not as far as ambition
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lenzfreak/ (external link)
Smugmug-primefocus.smugmug.com (external link)

VeggieDSLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 15, 2013 01:31 |  #7

Thanks guys. This the lens you are referring to right?

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …/ef_100mm_f_2_8​_macro_usm (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 15, 2013 02:07 |  #8

You'd be better off with a couple of articulating arms and a few pieces of cardboard... and a tripod. That's the tools you need to place highlights where you want them.

Firearms are generally not very detailed, and even the engravings are easily resolved by the lens you have if you stop it down to f/8 or f/11. If you get a 100mm macro, you'll get a very long lens and you'd have to be 20 feet away to fit a whole gun into the frame.

If you really need to zoom in closer, you can get a closeup filter (10 bucks on ebay (external link)) or an extension tube (external link).

You'll save 500 bucks, would be able to zoom and have a focal length that's actually useful for what you shoot. Stopped down, you'll never see a difference in sharpness.

The key to good product photography is to play with highlights and shadows.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=JHRaEzJd4iM (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=JP3ykBzk_RU (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=8K8nmVN7N5M (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ERxVM_SCMpo (external link)

In no particular order. If you can't get the proper stuff, I think the cheapest way would be to light paint (external link)reflecting off a piece of paper.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 15, 2013 02:24 |  #9

The "learnmyshot" guy on yourtube which explains light painting goes over more of lighting basics and materials and methods of product photography.

CamFan01
Goldmember
4,623 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 15, 2013 10:19 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #10

As someone who has photographed firearms and continues to do so I think I'd recommend the 50mm 2.5 Macro as a great lens to start with. Cheaper than many, 1/2 lifesized reproduction which is great for serial #'s, engraving, and other fine details; and wide enough that you don't have to go the next county to fit in long guns (although it's still a challenge :)). Then, as others have mentioned, spend a little on a flash or 2 to help with your lighting. I use both my 50mm/2.5 and 100/2.8L macro lenses quite a bit, but also find 24-28mm range to be helpful especially with rifles & shotguns. Good Luck!

Steve
1DMk4, 5DMk3, D4s, D800
300 f2.8L IS II, 400 f2.8G ED VR, 500 f4L IS, 600 f4L IS II, 600 f4G ED VR....and a few others.

www.pixallphoto.com (external link)

Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 15, 2013 10:36 |  #11

+1 to the 50/2.5 Macro. Sharp little lens.

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

VeggieDSLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 15, 2013 11:03 |  #12

Mainly I like to shoot (hehe) long guns. So how far away are we talking to fit in a rifle?

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 15, 2013 11:09 |  #13

Do you have lighting?

No lighting = Canon 50mm f1.8 and lighting
lighting = Canon 100mm macro or a 50 f1.4

What focal length on your existing lens do you use to fit in the long guns?

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 15, 2013 11:16 |  #14

VeggieDSLR wrote in post #15829947 (external link)
Mainly I like to shoot (hehe) long guns. So how far away are we talking to fit in a rifle?

Set your zoom to 50mm and try to fit it in. I'm imagine at least six to nine feet.

VeggieDSLR
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 15, 2013 11:25 |  #15

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #15829979 (external link)
Do you have lighting?

No lighting = Canon 50mm f1.8 and lighting
lighting = Canon 100mm macro or a 50 f1.4

What focal length on your existing lens do you use to fit in the long guns?

I am going to make one of those DIY light boxes. Not doing this to make money so not going to buy anything special.

I usually just played around with the focal length to find a shot I like.

sponsored links

1,539 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens recommendations please.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.