Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Apr 2013 (Saturday) 17:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many exposures can a camera take?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 15, 2013 11:02 |  #16

apersson850 wrote in post #15829703 (external link)
One of my 150000 exposure (expected life) 7D cameas shows a shutter failure now and then (Error 30). It's done about 35000 exposures.

We should remember that the live expectancy numbers associated with camera shutters etc. are based on testing which means that some samples fail sooner and some fail later.

That is also true in the real world. I sold a 5DII with over 170K clicks on the shutter.
I had sent the camera to CPS and asked them to replace the shutter. They tested the camera, said everything was fine and sent it back. When I called to ask why they had not replaced the shutter, they said policy was not to replace functioning components.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 15, 2013 11:28 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #17

*Jayrou wrote in post #15829092 (external link)
This is incorrect.

City Link don't deliver.

They have a warehouse full of stuff they are too incompetent to find the address for.

pmsl - I feel you may have experience too :lol: :lol:

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 15, 2013 11:40 |  #18

LeeRatters wrote in post #15830056 (external link)
pmsl - I feel you may have experience too :lol: :lol:

Yeah lots..:lol:

All via Amazon , Ordered Bose headphones , lost them , Order another pair - lost them, then 4 weeks later tried to deliver a baby gate with Bose headphones on the invoice??..:eek:

Ordered a TS-E 24mm - lost it , I gave up and went to WEX , got it next day via Royal Mail...:)

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

James4444
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 15, 2013 18:50 |  #19

Reminds me of my best ever conversation with ****ty stinks

where's my parcel, its 2 days overdue and seems stuck at first location on your tracking system
its on the way
when will it be delivered
tomorrow
but its not showing up on your tracking system as having moved in 2 days
not important, its in our delivery network
you've lost it haven't you
no
so where actually is it
in our delivery network
where exactly in your delivery network
at one of our locations
Its lost isn't it
Its not lost, its in our network and it will be delivered
if you can't put your hands on it, then its lost
no its not, we received it from amazon and its in our network
just say its lost and then i can get amazon to send another
it'll be lost if we don't deliver it in 14 days

12 days later ...

its lost

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 15, 2013 20:36 |  #20

For some reason, I kept visualizing John Cleese on the other end of that phone call...

Tom

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 16, 2013 17:19 |  #21

dmward wrote in post #15829944 (external link)
We should remember that the live expectancy numbers associated with camera shutters etc. are based on testing which means that some samples fail sooner and some fail later.

I know. I'm not going to blow Canon's headquarters up over this issue.
I'm just telling that "life expectancy" isn't the same as "guaranteed to live that long".

Anders

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 16, 2013 17:31 |  #22

hollis_f wrote in post #15826035 (external link)
627,421 then it dies.

Well, give or take half a million or thereabouts.

bw!

This gave me a belly laugh. Thanks Frank!

msowsun wrote in post #15829296 (external link)
Mine usually stopped at 24, but if I was careful when loading it I could get 25 or 26. ;)

Then you were just using a short 24 exp roll. ;) I always used 36 (and I even got as many as 40 if I was careful) unless I knew that I would be changing ASA before it was finished.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Instro.Mental
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 16, 2013 17:36 |  #23

TSchrief wrote in post #15824940 (external link)
That is like asking how many slices of bread you can toast before your toaster burns out. It varies. A good estimate is somewhere between 1 more and 1 million more shots than are already on it.

hahahahaha. YES.

euler2_718
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 16, 2013 18:13 |  #24

The-Digital-Picture includes a table in most (all?) reviews with "Shutter Durability Rating" for Canon DSLRs.

There is also this website that I just came across...(http://www.olegkikin.c​om/shutterlife/sitemap​.php (external link)) which uses user submissions to estimate shutter life.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 16, 2013 21:34 as a reply to  @ euler2_718's post |  #25

My 1dmk2n blew its first shutter at approx 50,000 clicks
It was replaced under warranty, and the second shutter lasted nearly 300,000

My work issued mk2n had 250,000 clicks when the shutter went, and the second issued one had over 500,000 clicks with no issues

It varies as to how many shots it takes before they fail

I know mine are more likely to be dropped, drowned or stolen than have a shutter fail

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 19, 2013 18:02 |  #26

Echo63 wrote in post #15836116 (external link)
It varies as to how many shots it takes before they fail

I know mine are more likely to be dropped, drowned or stolen than have a shutter fail

Haha...so true Ben.
Your cameras and mine must live in the same household, although I have done three shutters over the years - two in my 10D and one in my 1D MkII.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 19, 2013 18:31 |  #27

Keep the fingers cross and leave probabilities to your luck. This doesn't mean you should not take general care of your tools.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,729 posts
Gallery: 221 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 19, 2013 19:01 |  #28

There was a website that had users send in the shutter life of cameras, the same model would span from failure at 100 shots to still working at over a million shots,

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

BIllionfps
216 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 19, 2013 21:19 |  #29

How much $$$ is it to change out the shutter if you don't have insurance/warranty?

Canon 5D3 | 24L II | 50L | 85 1.8 | 135L

Sloany
65 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 20, 2013 08:53 |  #30

I sent my 1D MK4 to New Jersey for repair. It had 70k clicks on the shutter shutter, it cost me 233.oo. So much for canon saying the shutters are good for up to 300k clicks! Thanks for standing behind your product!!!!! Before i sent it to them, the camera on my 400 f2.8 and new 600 f4 were tack sharp across the boards, not anymore !!! We have heard these horror stories before. This is the third camera i have had to send to them for what should have been canons responibility to fix because of known problems. This only reinforces my switching to Nikon like many others are doing.

sponsored links

5,953 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many exposures can a camera take?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.