Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Roadtriping all around Canada and the USA what are your ''Must see''?

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 05, 2013 23:40 |  #76

Pictures aside, back to the origins of this thread. I am back in Los Angeles. My near future plans are Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Joshua Tree.

After that? No idea. I need to start driving back west to Florida, than drive north back up to Montreal. I have 5 weeks ~

You guys know your country more than me, what should I go check out for, which roads should I choose, what nationnal park can't I miss, specially photography wise? I'll probably drive throught Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississipi, Alabama, Georgia. I think that is my plan for the next two weeks.

I'm all up for your suggestions, thanks for making this trip all across America awesome.

If I'll drive pass by you and want to hang out, show me your city around or have a beer, let me know, I'm in for sure!

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 06, 2013 00:15 |  #77

What about zion, arches, canyonlands, grand staircase, petrified forest?

Monument valley?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

spyderpig
192 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 06, 2013 09:47 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #78

Nice shot of the toyota landcruiser.

When going through arizona you've got two choices, going the north route via 40 or the south route via 10.

If you go the north way, I'd say Sedona, flagstaff, winslow (to stand on the corner and see a girl in a flatbed ford), petrified forest NP, take a detour up to the durango colorado area where there's Mesa Verde NP, and the narrow gauge train.

If you're going the south way, I'd say Sedona, tucson air and space museum, the titan missile silo, kartchner caverns, maybe tombstone but it's a tourist trap, and bisbee.

Doc's suggestions are all good too.

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

Gomar
527 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 06, 2013 10:17 as a reply to  @ post 15577280 |  #79

Add Vegas, NYC, Philly, D.C., Virginia, Hawaii.
I suggest to skip Miami; nothing much to see or do... besides hot topless latinas in string bikinis on the beaches... oh, man, I am outta here see you in Miami :-)

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 06, 2013 11:17 |  #80

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15796176 (external link)
What about zion, arches, canyonlands, grand staircase, petrified forest?

Monument valley?

Those are all very nice sugestion! As I can see, you suggest I drive by Utah instead of Arizona?

Hi, I'm David.

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 06, 2013 12:18 |  #81

In Texas you may want to visit San Antonio for some history and your first glimpse of grass and trees for a while after New Mexico. If you like music and nightlife a visit to Austin might be in order.

Louisiana has Avery Island which is the home of Tabasco sauce and a salt mine and great gardens. New Orleans is known for great food, unless you want to spend top dollar avoid the eateries in the French Quarter and ask the locals for out of the way favorites. There are places that are cheaper and better than some of the tourist traps in the Quarter.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,085 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 06, 2013 12:41 as a reply to  @ breal101's post |  #82

Northern New Mexico is one of my favorite places in the entire world. Santa Fe, Taos, Madrid, Chama, Ghost Ranch area, I would highly recommend spending some time exploring that entire area.

Oh wanted to add go where the tourist don't go. Ask the locals.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 06, 2013 13:59 |  #83

I live in the South, and there are opportunities here (especially in the spring). It will be pretty hot by mid-May, however, but don't let that stop you from exploring. There are some antebellum homes from Mississippi through the Carolinas and some of Florida. These are homes built before the Civil War. Many were destroyed but a few survived. Gone With the Wind type of stuff.

The best way to see the real South is to stay off the Interstates and hit the state highways that run through the small towns. That's where you find the real South. It's a place that is in transition still, but won't be for long. The Old South is changing very quickly due to the internet and interstate commerce. But there is still a lot of cool history, especially along the coast in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. Savannah is a gem, as is St. Augustine in Florida. Charleston, South Carolina is beautiful, and the Outer Banks of North Carolina are a paradise (although there isn't much culture there in terms of the Old South...but great coastal culture, fishing culture, storm history, and wonderful locals).

If you come through Georgia I'll be happy to hang out and show you around. The town next to us (Senoia) is where they film The Walking Dead. It's a great little town that was almost dead when we moved here eight years ago, but the film industry changed all that. The downtown area was boarded up, and only a couple antique shops existed. It was ugly.

But now the town is thriving with pubs, restaurants, galleries, antique shops, cute homes, nurseries, and the locals drink beer right along side the actors from The Walking Dead. It's unpretentious but still exciting. Good photography opportunities.

Send me a PM when you're near my area. I'll help all I can.

Thank you. bw!

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 06, 2013 15:10 |  #84

Rivest wrote in post #15797151 (external link)
Those are all very nice sugestion! As I can see, you suggest I drive by Utah instead of Arizona?

Not specifically. It's just if you're in the area on a trip, the landscape changes dramatically from park to park and most of it is unique.

I can't compare with arizona, cause I haven't looked into it.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

spyderpig
192 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 07, 2013 09:35 |  #85

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15797739 (external link)
Not specifically. It's just if you're in the area on a trip, the landscape changes dramatically from park to park and most of it is unique.

I can't compare with arizona, cause I haven't looked into it.

That whole utah/arizona corner is really nice and has great opportunity for photography and adventure. Zion has the Narrows, where you hike up the river, literally, in the river. In that area in Arizona, you also have antelope canyon and horseshoe bend.

If it were me, I'd go through the north route through vegas, utah, north rim of the grand canyon, hit the NPs there near zion, then head south through arizona to hit flagstaf, sedona, petrified NP, then on to the 4 corners area and head into colorado.

However, this means you'll be missing the true desert southwest which is southern arizona. AZ can be divided into the northern half, which is pine trees and mountains, and the southern half which is cactus and rocks.

Being from Canada, I'd assume you can see pine trees and mountains every day, so maybe southern AZ would let you see things you can't see anywhere else in north america. But along with that unique perspective, realize that you'll have to search harder for photographic opportunities. Or in other words, in my opinion, southern AZ is a little more boring than northern AZ.

T2i | Canon 15-85mm | kit 55-250mm | Sigma 80-400mm
Harsh and honest C & C is ALWAYS encouraged for any of my photos.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 09, 2013 06:10 |  #86

As you said Spiderpig, mountains and pine trees are nothing new for me. Deserts, cactus and canyons are new things to me, I need/want to see those.

I am in Las Vegas at the moment, I'll stay here for around a week. I went back and forth to Grand Canyon today... Well.. For one I didn't even know there could be snow in Arizona, let alone freezing cold temperatures/winds in Grand Canyon! A day ago I was in Death Valley and it was around 90F+ and now today I had my winter coat on, 30F.. :(

Anyway, everyday is different in this trip, I love traveling all around the US and learning so much.

Mikefairbanks, I'll drop you a PM soon, I should be near Georgia in three weeks, I'll definately want to meet you when I'll be there!

I'll end that post with my new friend, Mr Sherman :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Hi, I'm David.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,417 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 09, 2013 11:07 |  #87

Rivest wrote in post #15796119 (external link)
Pictures aside, back to the origins of this thread. I am back in Los Angeles. My near future plans are Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Joshua Tree.

Joshua Tree - cool!

I was there 7 years ago. There is a campground in the northcentral part of the park. It is called "Jumbo Rocks Campground", and is only about 20 minutes from the town of Joshua Tree and Twentynine Palms Highway. This is where everybody camps and climbs. If you want some great action photos of dramatically steep rocks and people climbing them, this is the place to go!
The campers/climbers are mellow and laid back, and very agreeable when it comes to being photographed. The campfires reflecting on the rocks may even make for some interesting nighttime images.

Also, keep an eye out for good silhouettes of Joshua Trees. If you have a good one scouted out beforehand, then you can get back to it in time for the sunset, and shoot it in silhouette with the colorful sky behind it.

A highlight of my visit was a 4 mile hike in to the "Lost Palm Oasis". Total dry desert everywhere around for miles, then, seemingly out of nowhere, there is this area that is wet and soggy, with a grove of big, tall palm trees. I even saw bighorn sheep tracks in the sand, but missed out on seeing the sheep.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 15, 2013 12:26 |  #88

Thanks Tom, I'll keep that in mind!

My trip is still going on, I'm doing a pit stop in Vegas. I had planned on staying here for a couple of days, looks like it'll be weeks, I really enjoy this city, lots of pictures opportunity around also.

Here's a favorite shot of mine, Las Vegas.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Hi, I'm David.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 04, 2013 23:46 |  #89

Time for an update!

I have left Las Vegas, I'm slowly on my way back. I've hit Grand Canyon, yesterday I was at Zion NP and today was Bryce NP. Both very, very beautiful places.

I will hit The Arches tomorrow, Moab and Canyonland in two days. Than I am off to Colorado.

Anythign I shouldn't miss? I know I will go to Mesa Verde and the great sand dunes, anything else?

Also, I won't be able to go back to the east coast, I don't have enough time left. I will leave Colorado and go ''straight'' to Montreal, kind of following along the route 66 way. Any places worth stopping by?

You guys have been such a great help since the begining of this trip, thank you again it is so appreciated.

Let me add this one picture from yesterday:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links

8,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Roadtriping all around Canada and the USA what are your ''Must see''?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.