Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Apr 2013 (Monday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Convince Me To Buy A New Camera

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 15, 2013 13:54 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15830518 (external link)
Yes. You should.

I haven't seen your pictures, but I'm sure they look like they haven't been shot with a latest generation camera.

5Dc is obsolete at this point. The next generation of sensors would give you a higher dynamic range, which is pretty much the most important point with landscape photography. It sells for 400 bucks for a reason.

Ever heard of Photoshop, Lightroom, HDR?

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15830547 (external link)
Those unique opportunities would be wasted with his current camera.

'Cuz we all know that anything worth photographing REQUIRES a 1Dx and a red ring, right?

What a crock! I still get shots with old film cameras that I couldn't get with digital. Obsolete - shmobsolete. Elitist BS.

Gear List

sponsored links
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 15, 2013 14:02 |  #17

TSchrief wrote in post #15830632 (external link)
What a crock! I still get shots with old film cameras that I couldn't get with digital. Obsolete - shmobsolete. Elitist BS.

Wasn't it shown about 10 years ago that there's no reason to shoot film? Digital surpassed it in every parameter. It's sharper and easier.

And there's no reason for hate just cause you don't have one.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 15, 2013 14:47 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15830661 (external link)
Wasn't it shown about 10 years ago that there's no reason to shoot film? Digital surpassed it in every parameter. It's sharper and easier.

And there's no reason for hate just cause you don't have one.

I see this as MORE elitist BS. YOU don't have any use for film, so YOU assume no one else should use it either. I still shoot film regularly. This will really blow your mind: I still use an all-manual film camera. OMFG! On top of that, I still use manual flash, when necessary. The end-result is not the only aspect of photography. I happen to enjoy the PROCESS of making a photograph. Add to that the limitations of 24 shots on a roll vs. a 32GB card and chimping. When shooting film, I am REQUIRED to think of everything BEFORE I press the shutter-button. Framing, focal length, lighting DOF, background - all of it. There is no spray-n-pray with a manual film camera. It takes me (and lots of others) back to the essentials of photography.

Hate? You are the one slamming the results of a 5D, while at the same time proudly declaring that you've NEVER SEEN the OP's output. What exactly would I be hating? I already own the best APS-c body, the best full-frame body and the best manual film body I can get, for me. Sure, there are bodies in each category with more bells & whistles than the ones I use. I chose the best products for me. I allow others to do the same. If you are using a 1Dx, and that works for you, I'm happy for you. I am equally happy for you if you are using an XS and the kit lens, or anything in between.

Gear List

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 15, 2013 14:53 |  #19

TSchrief wrote in post #15830817 (external link)
This will really blow your mind: I still use an all-manual film camera. OMFG!

Why would you do that if canon makes flashes which expose for you?

On top of that, I still use manual flash, when necessary. The end-result is not the only aspect of photography. I happen to enjoy the PROCESS of making a photograph. Add to that the limitations of 24 shots on a roll vs. a 32GB card and chimping. When shooting film, I am REQUIRED to think of everything BEFORE I press the shutter-button. Framing, focal length, lighting DOF, background - all of it. There is no spray-n-pray with a manual film camera. It takes me (and lots of others) back to the essentials of photography.

Yes. But you can think about the same things in digital. And you just shoot 24 frames as well - it doesn't matter if you have a big card.

I already own the best APS-c body, the best full-frame body and the best manual film body I can get, for me. Sure, there are bodies in each category with more bells & whistles than the ones I use. I chose the best products for me. I allow others to do the same. If you are using a 1Dx, and that works for you, I'm happy for you. I am equally happy for you if you are using an XS and the kit lens, or anything in between.

You don't seem to be very happy with the OP wanting reasons to get a new camera. Clearly he'd prefer the mkIII. I don't see the happiness, with all this talk of film and everything manual.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 15, 2013 14:58 |  #20

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15830547 (external link)
Those unique opportunities would be wasted with his current camera.

I'm not familiar with any subjects that would run away at the sight of a 5Dc...

the gear he has will be more than good enough to shoot 99% of what he wants to shoot at almost any given time

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 15, 2013 15:06 |  #21

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15830864 (external link)
I'm not familiar with any subjects that would run away at the sight of a 5Dc...

the gear he has will be more than good enough to shoot 99% of what he wants to shoot at almost any given time

Why did you sell yours and got three of the next versions?

Is it for that pesky 1% that needs three bodies? :cool:

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 15, 2013 15:08 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15830842 (external link)
Why would you do that if canon makes flashes which expose for you?

Yes. But you can think about the same things in digital. And you just shoot 24 frames as well - it doesn't matter if you have a big card.

You don't seem to be very happy with the OP wanting reasons to get a new camera. Clearly he'd prefer the mkIII. I don't see the happiness, with all this talk of film and everything manual.

And yet more elitist BS! I don't do it the way you do it, therefore I am wrong. OK, I'll buy that. If it makes you happy, I'm wrong. I will immediately stop enjoying my film camera, my 60D and my 5D, my collection and lenses and flash guns and even my lights and umbrellas. Please inform me, O Wise One, which camera can I buy that will make you happy? I am eagerly awaiting your sage advice on what makes someone you've never met happy.

Gear List

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 15, 2013 15:18 |  #23

How is it elitist to want more dynamic range out of your camera?

Please inform me, O Wise One, which camera can I buy that will make you happy? I am eagerly awaiting your sage advice on what makes someone you've never met happy.

This is getting complex. Who are we making happy?

I thought the thread is about making the OP happy. And he needs reasons for getting a new camera to be happy.

Myself - I'm happy.

If you start a different thread, I'll try to make you happy in that thread by giving you what you want.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 15, 2013 15:26 |  #24

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15830908 (external link)
Why did you sell yours and got three of the next versions?

Is it for that pesky 1% that needs three bodies? :cool:

money to burn...

the newer bodies don't make shooting opportunities that didn't exist with older bodies...
they just change the shooting experience... bigger bells, louder whistles, etc... etc...

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 15, 2013 15:28 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15830974 (external link)
How is it elitist to want more dynamic range out of your camera?

This is getting complex. Who are we making happy?

I thought the thread is about making the OP happy. And he needs reasons for getting a new camera to be happy.

Myself - I'm happy.

If you start a different thread, I'll try to make you happy in that thread by giving you what you want.

The thread was originally asking if there were any good reason to upgrade from the 5D. For lots of us, there is not. That is my position. Feel free to continue to pontificate on the benefits of doing it your way.

Gear List

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 15, 2013 15:28 |  #26

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15831018 (external link)
money to burn...

the newer bodies don't make shooting opportunities that didn't exist with older bodies...
they just change the shooting experience... bigger bells, louder whistles, better pictures etc... etc...

(The bold part it mine) :o

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 15, 2013 16:06 |  #27

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #15831033 (external link)
(The bold part it mine) :o

in some instances - mostly higher ISOs - is really the only time you get better pictures...
but I've been shooting weddings for 6 years, and there are pictures that I look at from previous years where I cannot remember what body was used... for the most part, I can't tell

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2013 18:02 |  #28

No. I would answer this question in more detail but I'm trying to get my taxes done using an abacus. Why should I use an electronic calculator--this old technology is great!

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 15, 2013 18:12 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Convince you to buy a new camera? OK... buy a new camera or we'll kill this dog.

IMAGE: http://www.whataboutclients.com/archives/kill%20this%20dog.jpg

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]
Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
My Flickr page (external link)

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 15, 2013 19:00 |  #30

Cut the dog's ear off and mail it to the op to let him know that you are serious.

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

sponsored links

6,169 views & 0 likes for this thread
Convince Me To Buy A New Camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.