Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 03 Jun 2006 (Saturday) 15:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo in the "park"

jwbker
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 03, 2006 15:06 |  #1

Hi all, I spent last weekend in my girlfriend's parents' place and took a trip to the skate park with her brother. Here's a product of my efforts scramlbing around in this faux-urban environment and capturing it's (fast-moving) inhabitants. Critiques welcome!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

James

sponsored links
Issac ­ Brock
220 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 03, 2006 15:32 |  #2

Awesome shot!

I am a beginner located in Southeast Michigan.
Equipment:
Minolta Old Film SLR
Canon Powershot a95.
Motivation

bikerider
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 03, 2006 17:36 as a reply to  @ Issac Brock's post |  #3

Great action shot but it looks little flat to me and there's not much detail in the boarder. It looks like you've dodged in PS to lighten him....it also looks like you used neat image to smooth out the image. I did an edit to my taste, a slight curves adj' and some burning in. What do you think?
Roger.

HOSTED PHOTO

Eos 6D Mk1, 300D & G7x modified for Infrared, 17-40f4L, 70-200f4L, 100-400 f5.6 ISL, 15mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, various Lensbaby lenses, a few tripods, flash, GoPro 7 black.

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 03, 2006 17:40 |  #4

Yes, agreed, it's weird how the guy looks so flat while the rest look fine. He lacks a bit of 'motion' like one of those autosport shots you see where the car seems to be parked on the race track.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

jwbker
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 04, 2006 09:21 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #5

Thanks for the tip Roger. I did dodge him a bit, but there was no neat image on this one. I'll keep that in mind on some of the others from this session. Thanks!

James

bikerider
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 05, 2006 03:08 as a reply to  @ jwbker's post |  #6

That's cool James, look forward to seeing some others.
Roger.

Eos 6D Mk1, 300D & G7x modified for Infrared, 17-40f4L, 70-200f4L, 100-400 f5.6 ISL, 15mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, various Lensbaby lenses, a few tripods, flash, GoPro 7 black.

jwbker
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 12, 2006 21:39 as a reply to  @ bikerider's post |  #7

Roger, et al, here's another try with a different frame. I have some thoughts but I'll save them for later. I appreciate the insight.

HOSTED PHOTO

James

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Jun 12, 2006 21:52 |  #8

these are great shots. Your timing is on the money.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

bikerider
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 13, 2006 01:53 as a reply to  @ BillsBayou's post |  #9

That's a great shot James, I like that very much. Much better in terms of contrast and tonal range, nice work.
Roger.

jwbker
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 13, 2006 18:06 as a reply to  @ bikerider's post |  #10

Thanks, I'm glad you guys like it. I used desaturate to convert this and then played with curves. I also burned in the bystanders in the background in so they blend better. Any suggestions?

James

bikerider
Goldmember
3,909 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 14, 2006 03:29 as a reply to  @ jwbker's post |  #11

Hi James, when doing your conversions try channel mixer after you grayscale. Click the monochrome box and try 60% red, 30% green, 10% blue then fine tune with curves for contrast you can vary the percentages of course but they should add up to 100%. You may still need to do a bit of burning in here and there. This process seems to get a better tonal range. You can also check out the digital monochrome tutorial on the forum.
Roger.

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 15, 2006 08:38 |  #12

Very nice, James, glad to see your pics once more. I have to say that these pics would like nice in duotone too.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 15, 2006 10:59 |  #13

Second one I likee much more ;-)a

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

jwbker
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 15, 2006 19:43 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #14

Thanks guys, I need to be less complacent and take more pictures. Thanks for the encouragement.

James

sponsored links

2,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo in the "park"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.