Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 16 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 14:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Laptop with a good screen for photo editing?

onemoresmash
123 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 16, 2013 14:34 |  #1

Hi, I am looking at buying a laptop with a good screen for photo editing (processor and speed can throw aside at the moment). Due to traveling, I can not get a desktop or output the laptop to a monitor. I have read that Apple's Retina display is not good for photo editing. So, my options left are ultrabooks with 1080p display? Or they too don't provide adequate color representation? Does anyone know which model uses a panel that's good for editing? Will calibrate the screen by the way.

Thanks in advance!

Nikon D800, 24-70
60D, 10-20, 28-135, 50 1.8, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8, 580EX II <- Canon gear soon to be for sale.
500px (external link)

sponsored links
4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 16, 2013 15:09 |  #2

I think they have the mac book without the retina display. Its a matte display.

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

najik
24 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 16, 2013 15:42 |  #3

Not sure what is wrong with editing on a retina display, but I use the 2012 13" MacBook Air while traveling. Its not retina, but it is light, small, and stays out of the way. I use it for basic photo editing, image downloading, work, and Internet access while out and about. Its small and light enough that I actually want to take it with me. Its powerful enough that its actually quite useful. Photoshop CS6 extended runs like a dream on it. Screen resolution is 1440x900, which was what my old 2008 15" MacBook Pro had. The screen looks beautiful and seems reasonably color accurate. It is a gloss screen. With a little bit of fuss, calibration, color-management, I'm sure it could be used even more accurately.

There are other ultrabook alternatives to consider, but they each had some weakness that I disliked, such as a bad screen, bad keyboard, bad trackpad or something. My profession keeps me stuck with using every OS under the sun, so I'm OS agnostic in that regard.

Review here: http://www.anandtech.c​om …ir-13inch-mid-2012-review (external link)

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2013 21:28 |  #4

Check out http://www.notebookche​ck.net/ (external link) . They do color tests on the monitors when they do laptop reviews.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,135 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 16, 2013 21:34 |  #5

The only problem with ANY laptop that is the screen will not be "calibrated' as soon as you MOVE your screen direction. Not talking about taking your laptop in totally different locations doing photos editing.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,798 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 19, 2013 19:18 |  #6

My retina MBP screen is better than any other laptop screen I have seen. When home, I still use a Thunderbolt Display.

sponsored links

2,700 views & 0 likes for this thread
Laptop with a good screen for photo editing?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.