Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW and Jpeg

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,977 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 17, 2013 16:09 |  #1

for those who shoot RAW files, do you also shoot Jpegs?

if you do shoot both, what do you do with the jpegs if you use the RAWs for PP and sharing/printing/selli​ng?

at any point in time do you delete the jpegs and just store your RAW files?

i shoot both, use the jpegs for quickly scrolling through to see how they look and the RAWs for post processing...

-im just trying. sometimes i succeed

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,172 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 17, 2013 16:22 |  #2

I shoot jpegs only when I am breaking in a new camera.
Once I am shooting for real, I switch to RAW only unless I am doing something that requires I specifically have instant access to a jpeg.

I understand the idea of jpegs just for browsing, especially in this era of lightroom where the RAW browsing software tends to be so dog slow and or involved with catalogue building etc.

For what it's worth, there are RAW applications that can browse RAW files as fast as most jpeg viewers. (Breezebrowser for example)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tedder
389 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 17, 2013 16:31 |  #3

RAW only for me.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link)
Classical Beam Theory Revisited (external link)
Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 17, 2013 16:35 |  #4

I shoot entirely in (the) RAW

Kevin

Gear List

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 17, 2013 16:37 as a reply to  @ Tedder's post |  #5

RAW only 95% of the time. Otherwise I use the JPEG to upload family outing pics to facebook. So if I am on a family hike I shoot RAW+JPEG that away I have the RAW files for the landscapes and such that I take, and JPEGS for snapshots, without worrying about switching for each shot.

Otherwise my wife takes enough JPEGS with her phone to last a lifetime lol.

*sigh*
Hardware Master (or something like that)
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 17, 2013 16:39 |  #6

RAW unless I'm shooting a time lapse and then I move to JPEG, since almost all of the time lapses I do are more to just mess around or document things and they are several thousand shots.

-Nick | Gear | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

losangelino
972 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 17, 2013 16:48 |  #7

In the last couple of years I started Raw Dawging. My editing style has changed so when I go back to my old JPGs, I wish the JPGs were raw that I have more flexibility in editing.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,277 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 17, 2013 16:50 |  #8

The only time I shoot .jpg is if I need to create an image fast with no time for editing. Otherwise its so easy to batch convert raw to .jpg there is no need to shoot both.

JohanBorjesson
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 17, 2013 16:58 |  #9

I used to shoot RAW+JPEG but now I shoot strictly RAW, I'm not sure it's true but I've read somewhere that the camera can get faster when just doing one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,277 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 17, 2013 17:00 |  #10

JohanBorjesson wrote in post #15839045 (external link)
I used to shoot RAW+JPEG but now I shoot strictly RAW, I'm not sure it's true but I've read somewhere that the camera can get faster when just doing one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Since you are only writing one file to the card instead of two your buffer fills more slowly and empties more quickly. In some models of DSLR that may also affect the frame rate as well as the maximum burst.

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
it looks like im post #19,016
3,977 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 17, 2013 18:31 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #11

thanks for the replies...

ive thought about just ditching the jpegs because ive gotten to the point now where i THINK i have the photo styles set where i want them (and understand what they do/how they work) but its ALMOST LIKE, ill be taking a risk if i dont shoot them both...

i dont know why, maybe i need to start doing so just a little bit at a time, like i eased my way into doing PP with the RAW in DPP...

baby steps i guess...

-im just trying. sometimes i succeed

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 17, 2013 20:20 as a reply to  @ Ltdave's post |  #12

RAW only. If I did ever need in camera style jpegs I can just apply a preset and then batch export them.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,153 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 17, 2013 20:26 |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15838925 (external link)
I shoot jpegs only when I am breaking in a new camera.

Sorry off the topic.

1st time hear about this, any more detail please?

BTW, RAW for me; unless the camera doesn't have the RAW capability such as P&S underwater camera.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

icacphotography
613 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 17, 2013 20:27 |  #14

I shoot RAW pretty much exclusively though with that said if I want to shoot JPEG I have my settings for my Standard picture style set up so I get the look I want for the most part SOOC. I usually shoot RAW for the express purpose of PP though as I love to take images and use filters and other settings on them to spice them up and give focus to certain part of an ultra sharp image

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 17, 2013 20:32 |  #15

The only time I shoot jpeg, is when I'm doing inspections that require just a small image. I also shoot raws along with them, even though I'll never, ever do anything with the raws (except delete them in a couple of days).

When I'm actually shooting for myself, it's RAW and only RAW. I really don't bother with jpegs.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links

2,912 views & 0 likes for this thread
RAW and Jpeg
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.