Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 17 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 18:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question on work flow for news paper shooters

V4her
484 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 17, 2013 18:48 |  #1

I recently was offered a freelance gig shooter for the local paper.
It's mostly high school sports.

I read several other posts regarding workflow. They mostly recommended software.

The paper specifies either Photo Mechanic or Photoshop.

So, here's the question; with Photo Mechanic, how do you manage to cull 200-250 shots down to 50-60 quickly with minimal processing?

Canine Sports and Pet Photography:
Flash of Paw (external link)

sponsored links
GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 17, 2013 18:50 |  #2

Cull using software of your choice (ex. FastStone Image Viewer) and then processes the "keepers" with Photoshop or Photo Mechanic (?)

http://moving-target-photos.com/ (external link) - My Stuff

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2013 19:23 |  #3

Photo mechanic allows you to import(ingest) images that have been locked in camera. That is the best way to narrow down images quickly.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

abruckse
497 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 17, 2013 22:34 |  #4

Photoshop and Photomechanic are two different beasts. Photomechanic is for photo management... importing, captioning, etc. I agree with xchangx though, I usually tag/lock my keepers in camera, and import "locked photos only" in photomechanic. But even if you don't tag in camera, PM creates previews really quickly so it's quick and easy to cull your images by tagging your keepers with the "T" key. But really, the key point in using photomechanic for photojournalistic use is the quick and easy captioning. Only drawback is very minimal editing can be done (cropping and sharpening mainly), so you have to get it right in camera. That's why it's nice to have photoshop handy for more in depth editing when needed.

Andrew
www.andrewbruckse.com (external link) | Instagram (external link)

dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 18, 2013 06:19 |  #5

As the others have said you can lock the images in camera of the ones you think you might submit, then only bring those into photomechanic. My only difference would be is I rate the images in photomechanic then you can sort them by rating, tag, then copy to a new folder for upload. The drawl back to PM is again you can do only minor adjustments.

Another option which which I'll use more is Light Room. With LR you can again rate the images, apply a caption to a selected group of images, then go back to add names, therefore it does take a bit longer to caption. But I'm able to do all of my adjustments a LOT faster then doing it one image at the time using PS. And my work flow will be different for different publishers. I have one daily where my deadline for sports is noon, so I have a lot of time inbetween the end of the game and when I need to submit. Most others the deadline is 9PM that day. So to answer your question, here you go.

For 9PM deadline I'll have the rosters already setup in PM before heading to the game. Then at half time or 8:30 which ever comes first) I'll bring in the images I've locked into LR, crop the first image per specks, make any adjustments (WB, noise adjustments, color, exposure and so on), then sync the rest of the images to it. Then I'll cull these shots after cropping each one individually. Then export. Then I'll bring them into PM for captioning, then submit then either leave or shoot the rest of the game.

If you only buy one piece of software, for what you're doing it would be LR. You can add a boiler plate, if you will, caption to a group of selected images, and then one by one add the additional information they require to each. For my small papers the reporter already knows each of the kids on each team and will write the caption himself. All he wants to know is when the image(s) were taken (first quarter, inning, set, ect.) An easy way to do this is take a shot of the score board between each quarter/inning and that will be your marker. My larger daily's will require me to write all captions. Some just require the what and when, other require the who, what/what and when.

As far as PS, I can't think of the last time I've ever used it for sports. LR and PM does everything I need. I could get by with PM, but it would be tougher.

Lastly LR 5 is now available for free beta download. You might want to download a copy, and give it a try and then buy PM and learn how to setup your roster files. I think by the time the beta is up (at which time it will expire on your computer) you'll realize how much you'll need LR. That should give you around 90 days between the time you buy PM and when you have to pay for LR, making it a bit easier for your wallet.

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 18, 2013 07:08 |  #6

I actually use both, Photo Mechanic and Photoshop, when I'm doing stuff myself (in most cases lately I just transmit straight from camera via wifi and 3G modem, and people in office deal with rest).
But when I'm on my own, I use Photo Mechanic for ingesting card (ingesting only locked files is option, but personally I shoot jpeg only, which means 1 or 2GB of images (mostly less then this) are ingested via firewire reader in less then minute, which means I don't have problems if I ingest everything), caption template is assigned to images and files are renamed during ingest already. Then I select those I want to send, mark them with appropriate color tag, so they are grouped and selected later easier and faster, edit caption (normally that means just adding name of athlete(s) on photo to previously assigned caption), edit photo in Photoshop (more or less cropping and levels), and then I also transmit photos from Photo Mechanic (via ftp).
Once you get some experience, you can pick photos just from looking thumbnails already, which means you are done picking photos literally in few second.

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 18, 2013 13:47 |  #7

I use PhotoMechanic then sometimes Lightroom and always photoshop. Very important to establish a good workflow.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

1,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question on work flow for news paper shooters
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.