Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 14 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 09:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pro advice on shooting a Sweet 16 party

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 14, 2013 09:18 |  #1

I mostly shoot sports, and the occasional family event, but I have a friend who has asked me to shoot his daughter's Sweet 16 party. I have shot one similar party in the past (2 years ago), and it was my present to the guest of honor.

I assume that, if it is going to be a paid gig, that I should treat it essentially like shooting a wedding. Here are some of my questions:

Party is from 7PM - 11PM, what is a reasonable rate? I realize that this is also determined by what the deliverables are.

Deliverables. I spoke w/ the girl's mom last night, and she said her daughter would like a disc/flash drive w/ the images. She was also going to check on what, if any post-processing her daughter would want. That being said, what is an appropriate file size / resolution? Should I watermark the images (discretely)?

Any other tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated. I will get a 2nd body (most likely a crop), as well as a 2nd flash. I was thinking one body w/ my 17-55 f/2.8, and one w/ my 85 f/1.8. Or maybe a 5D as the 2nd body w/ the 85. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

sponsored links
Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 14, 2013 16:03 |  #2

Mk1Racer wrote in post #15826098 (external link)
I mostly shoot sports, and the occasional family event, but I have a friend who has asked me to shoot his daughter's Sweet 16 party. I have shot one similar party in the past (2 years ago), and it was my present to the guest of honor.

I assume that, if it is going to be a paid gig, that I should treat it essentially like shooting a wedding. Here are some of my questions:

Party is from 7PM - 11PM, what is a reasonable rate? I realize that this is also determined by what the deliverables are.

Deliverables. I spoke w/ the girl's mom last night, and she said her daughter would like a disc/flash drive w/ the images. She was also going to check on what, if any post-processing her daughter would want. That being said, what is an appropriate file size / resolution? Should I watermark the images (discretely)?

Any other tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated. I will get a 2nd body (most likely a crop), as well as a 2nd flash. I was thinking one body w/ my 17-55 f/2.8, and one w/ my 85 f/1.8. Or maybe a 5D as the 2nd body w/ the 85. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

For your rate, it depends on your skill level. Are you a full time professional sports photographer? If so, take your hourly rate for that, knock off 10 or 15% and charge them that, since you aren't a highly experience event shooter. Not knocking you, but sports and events are a completely different game.

As for your gear, it depends on the venues. The 17-55 is a strong lens, but if your event is outside or in a large venue, you might need something a bit longer than 55mm on a crop body. Do you have a 2.8 tele zoom? You can never go wrong with a 70-200. As for your flash, what model is it? I ask because you'll need decent recharge times... and the 580 EXII is really the bare minimum. I even battery pack mine up so I can rapid fire it without missing a flash.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

Mk1Racer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 14, 2013 16:51 |  #3

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #15827305 (external link)
For your rate, it depends on your skill level. Are you a full time professional sports photographer? If so, take your hourly rate for that, knock off 10 or 15% and charge them that, since you aren't a highly experience event shooter. Not knocking you, but sports and events are a completely different game.

As for your gear, it depends on the venues. The 17-55 is a strong lens, but if your event is outside or in a large venue, you might need something a bit longer than 55mm on a crop body. Do you have a 2.8 tele zoom? You can never go wrong with a 70-200. As for your flash, what model is it? I ask because you'll need decent recharge times... and the 580 EXII is really the bare minimum. I even battery pack mine up so I can rapid fire it without missing a flash.

Not a full-time sports pro. And not taken as a knock, I know events and sports are significantly different. That's one of the reasons why I asked here. I do have a 70-200 f/2.8, and actually thought about that on the 2nd body. Was trying to be less conspicuous by not having a big, white lens. It's an indoor (restaurant) venue. Not sure of the # of guests yet.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 14, 2013 17:01 |  #4

Mk1Racer wrote in post #15827472 (external link)
Not a full-time sports pro. And not taken as a knock, I know events and sports are significantly different. That's one of the reasons why I asked here. I do have a 70-200 f/2.8, and actually thought about that on the 2nd body. Was trying to be less conspicuous by not having a big, white lens. It's an indoor (restaurant) venue. Not sure of the # of guests yet.

For a restaurant the 70-200 might be a bit overkill, but don't leave it at home either. Sometimes, flaunting a lens or two camera bodies can work in your benefit. People that have not seen your work, will have more respect for a gear-head packing a big white lens than they would with little black prime lens. Its unfortunate, but just the way it is. I had a parent yesterday packup their Ti something camera after acknowledged the "pro has arrived." I don't know if it was my two camera bodies, or more the fact that her kit lens wasn't cutting it.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

Mk1Racer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 14, 2013 18:48 |  #5

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #15827511 (external link)
For a restaurant the 70-200 might be a bit overkill, but don't leave it at home either. Sometimes, flaunting a lens or two camera bodies can work in your benefit. People that have not seen your work, will have more respect for a gear-head packing a big white lens than they would with little black prime lens. Its unfortunate, but just the way it is. I had a parent yesterday packup their Ti something camera after acknowledged the "pro has arrived." I don't know if it was my two camera bodies, or more the fact that her kit lens wasn't cutting it.

Yeah, I've gotten that at HS sporting events quite a bit. Found out that there will be 70-80 people there.

nickgillespie
91 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 16, 2013 15:24 |  #6

i always regret leaving stuff at home

Wedding Photographer in Charlotte (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,060 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 16, 2013 16:14 |  #7

Tips & Pointers:
* Definitely bring the long lens (at least 85mm). I photographed a Sweet 16 awhile back and was surprise that half of the kids were camera shine so I had to use the long lens to shoot them as candid shots from a distance.
* Don’t be afraid to take off your shoes and stand on a chair to shoot the dance floor when it gets crowded.
* Encourage the kids to dance, pose and have a fun time otherwise they just sit there with their phone and texting their friends who are right next to them :). Blend in a bit and be young like them with a cheerful face, BUT don’t be weird/creepy :)
* Shoot the Location, the Hall/Room, the Deco and the Cake as of shooting a wedding.

Good luck and have fun shooting. I have a Sweet 16 in my Blog if you would like to check it out. It isn't great but it is something to see ahead of the your event.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 18, 2013 10:24 |  #8

Depending on your experience shooting events, I would charge between $100-$150 an hour and have that include post processing and delivery of the photos. If you are comfortable with shooting off camera flash, do it. If you have strobes or flashes you can set up in the corners of the room, it'll make a difference between dull photos and interesting looking ones. Make sure you take plenty of batteries. For events, I typically use my 17-40 (my go-to lens) and my 24-70.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

Mk1Racer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 20, 2013 08:28 |  #9

Thanks everyone for their input. No off-camera flash, although I may rent some

Tigerkn: I'll check out your blog, thanks

cabinajm: Thanks for the input on rate, that's kind of what I was thinking.

Would love to get some input on resolution / watermarking for electronic delivery.

Mk1Racer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 20, 2013 10:09 |  #10

Looks like I can take advantage of the CPS loan service to check out some new gear at this event. I plan on getting a 5D3 (or maybe a 1DX), but would like some input on lenses or possibly a 600 EX flash. I will be using my 7D and will take my 17-55 f/2.8 (won't work on the 5D3 or 1DX), my 85 f/1.8, and my 70-200 f/2.8. Can't decide if I should grab a 24-70 f/2.8 II or possibly a 600EX. Or is there something else I should be looking at?

VascoF1
35 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 21, 2013 07:56 |  #11

Mk1Racer wrote in post #15848580 (external link)
Looks like I can take advantage of the CPS loan service to check out some new gear at this event. I plan on getting a 5D3 (or maybe a 1DX), but would like some input on lenses or possibly a 600 EX flash. I will be using my 7D and will take my 17-55 f/2.8 (won't work on the 5D3 or 1DX), my 85 f/1.8, and my 70-200 f/2.8. Can't decide if I should grab a 24-70 f/2.8 II or possibly a 600EX. Or is there something else I should be looking at?

The 600ex-rt works well in pairs (or more) where you won't need separate triggers for ocf; just put them in a place where they can't get knocked over. Always something I'm paranoid about considering their cost.

Conversely, an option would be to buy a few Yongnuo manual flashes and triggers that would come out cheaper (if of course you're looking to buy).

sponsored links

7,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pro advice on shooting a Sweet 16 party
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.