Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 any thoughts?

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 18, 2013 09:16 |  #46

Sirrith wrote in post #15841138 (external link)
Is there a point for a 30/1.4?

If so, why no point for a 18-35 which is only 2/3rd of a stop slower? Its basically a whole bunch of primes in one lens as far as aperture goes, which means you get the convenience of a zoom, without the downside of slower aperture. Also, I highly doubt this lens will compromise too much in terms of IQ, since there is little point in Sigma investing in a lens that would not sell, and is probably the reason why it is only an 18-35, not a 15-40 or whatever.

Either way, this is all speculation until we get reviews.

It just seems like an odd range of focal lengths to me since it's APS-c only. But, what do I know, people may indeed have a use for this. Admittedly, I could just be skeptical since it's the first <2.8 zoom. I should probably keep my speculations under wraps until we see some reviews.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 150-600C

sponsored links
schris
163 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2013 09:28 |  #47

I had juuuust finally gotten to the point where my lens wish list was down to zero. Darn you, Sigma!

But on a more pragmatic note, I wonder how this would change my lens lineup if I could afford it. Essentially it's a 2x zoom that overlaps with 28mm somewhere in the middle. Since the 28 f/1.8 already performs admirably for me I wouldn't really see a need to replace it with this lens unless it has some superlative qualities, like vastly superior AF or extreme sharpness across the board.

Exciting announcement. We can't be too far off from that 10-400mm f/1.2 lens everyone wants, right?

70D | Rokinon 8mm | 15-85mm | Sigma 30mm | 85mm 1.8 | 55-250mm | 430EX

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 18, 2013 09:38 |  #48

Whats next?
35-135 f/2 OS? :D

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 18, 2013 09:55 |  #49

Man, if they could make this for full frame I think I'd wet my pants. . . . . . .

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,514 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 18, 2013 10:05 |  #50

Raylon wrote in post #15841147 (external link)
7D does have MA. I don't think people with T series are the targeted segment with this lens.

I completely forgot the 7D has MA! My poor 60D doesn't have it but I think Sigma is doing the world good by introducing this. I've been using my 16-35 II on my 60D for the longest time with over 3000+ shots and still going. I'm still interested in trying out this lens as long as the tag isn't $2k. :X

I also still want to know if the USB dock will fix the 35 1.4 anyways with the lighting problem.

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

Roshan
319 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 18, 2013 10:05 |  #51

dufflover wrote in post #15840727 (external link)
I think it's handy for casual crop portrait shooters. Like those who take a camera to a mate's party or wedding.
That said, Sigma is usually weak at the edges, which isn't too bad when it's FF lens on a crop, but look at crop lenses like the 30/1.4 and the 17-50, and it's not that great on those edges without stopping down.

The new Art 30mm 1.4 is not soft at the edges by any means.

Dear Sigma,
Please make us FF users a 24-70 1.8 HSM.

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 18, 2013 10:11 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #52

I'm slightly scratching my head about this lens, as 18mm on a Canon crop is ~29mm in full frame terms - so not really that wide for landscape work.

35mm is effectively 56mm, so I guess at f1.8 it would make a good short portrait lens (covering the FF equivalents of 35mm and 50mm).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,514 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 18, 2013 10:12 |  #53

Maybe this lens is supposed to be just the counter to the 18-55 but it doesn't sport IS and yeah some users don't need it but would be just nice to have.

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 18, 2013 10:13 |  #54

Roshan wrote in post #15841414 (external link)
Dear Sigma,
Please make us FF users a 24-70 1.8 HSM. [/B]

Given that the non-IS Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II has an 82mm front filter I'd suspect an f1.8 version would be pretty chunky!

Roshan
319 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 18, 2013 10:20 |  #55

sploo wrote in post #15841443 (external link)
Given that the non-IS Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II has an 82mm front filter I'd suspect an f1.8 version would be pretty chunky!

I want it!!! Maybe then I can leave my primes at home for weddings.

melauer
207 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 18, 2013 10:22 |  #56

Sirrith wrote in post #15841208 (external link)
2nd part of the post you quoted... ;)

Normally 3rd party lenses don't have different zoom directions for nikon/canon mounts, they stick with just 1.

Yeah yeah, I said explicitly what you just hinted at. Fair enough.

To be even more explicit, here is Sigma's product page (external link) for this lens. Under "Tech Specs" it lists Canon, Nikon and Sigma mounts.

I believe this is Sigma's first Art line (external link) zoom. Perhaps Sigma is going to do things differently than in the past, some sort of Apple-esque "focus on small details to make everything fit flawlessly" sort of thing?

sploo
premature adulation
2,265 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 18, 2013 10:45 |  #57

Roshan wrote in post #15841459 (external link)
I want it!!! Maybe then I can leave my primes at home for weddings.

You'd have to: in order to handle the weight of a 24-70 f1.8 :D

Besides, if you really want to leave the primes at home, then surely it'd need to be a 24-70 f1.2. It'll come with a wheelbarrow to carry it in ;)

bobfather
57 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 18, 2013 10:46 |  #58

This DOES look pretty great, but at best it just narrows the field between crop and full-frame cameras.

1. It will absolutely not be cheap. Sigma has been impressing me with their price points lately, but I would guess $1000+ for this lens.

2. The range isn't spectacular: 29-56mm with the crop factor figured in. For full frame camera users, a good 35mm prime (such as Sigma's own) could easily foot-zoom to these focal lengths, with obvious framing and perspective difficulties in some cases.

3. f1.8 on a crop gives approximately the same depth of field as f2.8 on a full-frame camera, so no advantage over full-frame cameras here.

4. f1.8 on a crop gives an extra stop of light, but the newer full-frame cameras already have an extra 1.5 stops of noise handling ability over the current crop bodies.

Basically what I'm saying is that on full-frame bodies the 24-70mm lenses available from Canon, Sigma, and Tamron (and Tokina?) already give you functionally equivalent depth of field, light gathering ability, and zoom wider and longer than this new Sigma.

If this lens comes out around $1k, it would be very difficult for me to advocate this lens + a used 7D at ~$1900, over a used 5D2 or 6D + Sigma 24-70 at nearly the same price point.

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 18, 2013 10:56 |  #59

If the price is right I'm in. I'd love to have a fast zoom on a crop for events and night photography.

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 18, 2013 10:56 |  #60

i always wanted a wide to mid range super fast zoom... but for full frame.

like a 24-50mm 1.8... or a 35-70mm. could take care of 3 of my primes all in one

sponsored links

66,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 any thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.