Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 15:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Front focus on a body?

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 18, 2013 15:02 |  #1

I've been having an issue with a new Sigma 35mm I bought. The first time I sent it to Sigma they did an AF update and it is much more consistant between indoors and out, however it was missing focus quite a bit. So i sent it back to sigma and requested calibration. (on my 5D2)

So I get a phone call from Sigma support and had a nice 10 minute conversation with the tech who is testing the lens. He mentioned that my camera body may be front focusing. (I need between -10MA and -14MA depending on subject distance) What I don't understand is that other lenses I have require no MA and seem very sharp, however they are 2.8 or slower lenses.

Do cameras front or back focus? I was under the impression that the lenses front and back focused. is this something that I would want to have Canon look into the next time I send it in for a clean and check?

On the positive, I have to say that Sigma may be on to something with their new USB dock. He explained how it worked for me. Apparently there are 6 different settings you can change vs just one in camera. So you can set the lens to front focus one amount from say 5' away, set it to front focus a different amount from 15' away, and so on. If a new setting makes it worse, you can just go back to a previous setting. This would also be a godsend for those who sell their used lens. lens plus dock so you can pretty much guarantee it will work and be calibrated with any body.

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 18, 2013 15:32 |  #2

I think the following link can explain a whole lot better than I ever could.

http://www.lensrentals​.com …s-is-soft-and-other-myths (external link)

I have lenses that have had all different amounts of MA on different bodies , they can both be to blame, My Sigma 50 needed a lot on my 5DII but I couldn't get it to play at all with the 1DIII I owned

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,440 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 18, 2013 19:09 |  #3

A lens plus a body combination can exhibit either front or back focus. That combo may for instance yield a front focus for you, but that same lens on someone else's body could rear focus. The problem is created because both devices have tolerances which can differ unit to unit.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

704 views & 0 likes for this thread
Front focus on a body?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.