Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 25 Feb 2013 (Monday) 13:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sell my S95 for the RX100

august23
Sensitive + Shopoholic = chick?
3,126 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 25, 2013 13:11 |  #1

Does this make sense? I'm just getting back into photography, and I've read unbelievable things about this RX100. I figured it's a good P&S to get me on my feet before I move back into the DSLR world. Good idea? Bad idea? How much could even get for an S95 now-a-days?

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 25, 2013 17:06 |  #2

Well, is the S95 letting you down anywhere? If you're not bumping up against limits when you use it, then why upgrade? And if you're bumping up against limits, are they limits that the RX100 will lift? Or are you just going shopaholic again?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

august23
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,126 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 25, 2013 17:51 |  #3

Jon wrote in post #15651387 (external link)
Well, is the S95 letting you down anywhere? If you're not bumping up against limits when you use it, then why upgrade? And if you're bumping up against limits, are they limits that the RX100 will lift? Or are you just going shopaholic again?

Jon, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you even remembering that part of my life on this forum. :D However, I'm all grown up now, with bills, and responsibiliies, so no, I will not be going shopaholic again.

You raise a great question. What will the upgrade really do for me? I guess my answer is this: I find the S95 all but sucks in lowlight. I don't need an expensive point and shoot camera for day light land scapes. Pretty much every PnS across the board does a somewhat good job at taking your typical well light landscape shots. If I do get back into this game, I know I'd want to start shooting lowlight/night time landscapes with dim lights and playing around with that sort of stuff. I hear the RX does a great job in low light, with (new to me) unheard of ISO ranges that actually render decent pictures. Is this enough to justify a switch though...that's the question....

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 26, 2013 16:36 |  #4

If you want to know how much S95's are going for used, just go to the Sell forum and do a search (some people delete the selling price after items are sold, but they aren't supposed to, so hopefully you will find some useful information). Keep in mind that sometimes people do negotiate slightly lower prices though (I did).

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

barn9
224 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 26, 2013 19:18 |  #5

I too have the occaissional struggle with low light situations using my S 95, but I'm a novice with it at best. I have seen some spectacular low light shots taken with an S 95, so I continue to try and learn what it can do. Maybe we will both get lucky and someone will offer some tips that will help. I have wondered about how much would be gained by going to the RX100 since it seems to be very highly regarded, but looking at the price of those things gives me much pause to say the least, not sure if there are enough gains to justify the expense in my case.
And yes, I admit I am somewhat of a cheapskate/tightwad, LOL!

Canon S5is, Canon A2000is

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 27, 2013 08:34 |  #6

In low light situations are you shooting wide angle (fast lens) or tele? (relatively slow lens?)

It seems to me that a newer camera might produce better images at high ISO. BUT that may be over simplifying things....

Two changes in photography have really helped me. vibration reduction. high iso performance. With the latter, I feel I don't need fast glass as much as I used to.

Jon's comments are really helpful. When I get the bug to buy new gear I ask myself,
...what is missing in my images now
...how will new gear fix that
...what do I need to learn to keep the gear I have now?

It doesn't always work. ;)

I catch myself buying new gear when I am ticked at something else I can't change. New gear is exciting!

Dave

Dave

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 27, 2013 10:53 as a reply to  @ 2mnycars's post |  #7

I often look on Flickr for examples of images produced by a camera I'm thinking of buying, vs the one I currently have. I've been taking another look at what I can do with my "old" Canon G9 that will "only" shoot at a high ISO of 1600. By shooting RAW, and processing with careful Noiseware Pro corrections, I can get pretty good results...not great. But, without zooming to 100% it looks fine. Here is a recent ISO 1600 example;

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_1715 copy (external link) by dhc42 (external link), on Flickr

and here is the shot from the camera;

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_1715 (external link) by dhc42 (external link), on Flickr

Your S95 can shoot RAW, but are you willing to take the time to process the images?

I like how my G9 handles, and it's features, but it's worse than the S95 in really low light...if I try to use high ISOs. Finding ways to avoid very high ISOs will make your current camera produce better results, which is true of all cameras. Post processing methods will help in that department.

My quick review of S95 and RX100 images shot in low light on Flickr shows both of them tend to be used at "normal" ISOs (up to ISO 1600).

S95 (external link)

RX100 (external link)

I would suggest you re-evaluate your S95 with the above in mind, and then decide what you need (vs what you want...new gear). This is the same process I'm going through now, but not concerning an RX100, rather a G15.

Edit: Here's an AEB (3 shot, +/- 2 EV, RAW) image from my G9, overlooking the Great Smokeys in Tennessee. I was shooting in to the sun, so a single shot would not capture what I needed. The three processed later in Photomatix Essentials (less expensive), then in Elements 10 gave me the desired results. It looks just like we saw it, but the "small" sensor could not have captured all that I wanted, so an HDR was necessary. Your S95 can do this too. My shots were hand held, and the optical viewfinder helped to keep it more stable and aligned. However, a small tripod would have been better. Look for ways to better use your current system, and be happier, maybe.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8511021684_c858ee4535_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/picsdennis/8511​021684/  (external link)
IMG_1837_RIT_tonemappe​d_16x9 (external link) by dhc42 (external link), on Flickr

Dennis

august23
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,126 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 27, 2013 14:42 |  #8

Lots of really helpful information here. Thanks guys. To reply:

ozzie - I did that and I'm looking at taking about $180-200 off tag of an RX100, which makes the camera seem much more reasonable given its capabilities.

barn9 - I have seen these too. Maybe it's my S95, or maybe it's post processing that I simply don't know how to do. Either way the RX100 is calling my name, and although not a cheapskate, I do need to be money conscious as well.

2mnycars - I VERY rarely zoom, even for portrait shots, I've always tended to move myself closer rather than zooming in. For landscapes I will always use the wide angle. So my answer is wide. I asked myself all those questions, answer leads me to keep my S95, but the itch is REALLY strong on the RX100 :D

denncald - That was really help info. Even after the comparison, I don't know if I could fight the itch!!

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 27, 2013 15:15 as a reply to  @ august23's post |  #9

...sometimes you just gotta' scratch that itch...but I usually find it itches even more.

Dennis

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 02, 2013 13:49 |  #10

august23 wrote in post #15658499 (external link)
Lots of really helpful information here. Thanks guys. To reply:

ozzie - I did that and I'm looking at taking about $180-200 off tag of an RX100, which makes the camera seem much more reasonable given its capabilities.

barn9 - I have seen these too. Maybe it's my S95, or maybe it's post processing that I simply don't know how to do. Either way the RX100 is calling my name, and although not a cheapskate, I do need to be money conscious as well.

2mnycars - I VERY rarely zoom, even for portrait shots, I've always tended to move myself closer rather than zooming in. For landscapes I will always use the wide angle. So my answer is wide. I asked myself all those questions, answer leads me to keep my S95, but the itch is REALLY strong on the RX100 :D

denncald - That was really help info. Even after the comparison, I don't know if I could fight the itch!!

Reason I asked was if you were using the lens zoomed out, and having issues in low light, you should look at lens specs to see which had a larger aperture when zoomed out....

I understand and suffer from gear acquisition syndrome too.

Dave

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 02, 2013 13:53 |  #11

Great review site...

http://www.imaging-resource.com …ony-rx100/sony-rx100A.HTM (external link)

edit...
http://www.imaging-resource.com …a-of-the-year-awards-2012 (external link)

Dave

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 02, 2013 18:29 as a reply to  @ 2mnycars's post |  #12

Here's another RX100 review, if you need one.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …/cameras/sony_r​x100.shtml (external link)

Dennis

FinancialWar
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 08, 2013 03:34 as a reply to  @ denncald's post |  #13

I am in exactly the same situation, I feel like sony rx100 just killed Canon's S line.

Nikon D700 (sold), 50mm 1.4G
Canon S95
Nikon for DSLR, Canon for compact

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 13, 2013 23:45 |  #14

Do it.
I would've done it, but the RX100 was only avail a week prior to my last trip.

I tried the RX100 when it first came out, while I was in Changi.
I knew my s95 days were numbered then.
The RX100 was ridiculously faster & better than my then aging s95 (now antiquated, lol)

Anyway, I tried the RX100 again recently, still great!
Also tried the RX1, amazing camera - but I think I'll keep my 5DM2 for now.

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 19, 2013 03:22 |  #15

I owned an LX3 in the distant past, I enjoyed using other folks' S series to the point I considered buying (and the interface experience is slightly better than Sony's), but the RX100 is a really great little camera once you get used to the interface. Only things I would really change would be better bracketing options (+- 0.7 EV and 3 shots sucks) and add a clicked rather than clickless wheel, since I don't tend to manual focus or zoom with the control ring...

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

sponsored links

5,197 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sell my S95 for the RX100
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.