Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 13:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which lens to take to wedding as a guest?

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 18, 2013 20:11 |  #61

Choderboy wrote in post #15843237 (external link)
I was not thinking of the pro photog hardship. I was thinking of the results, both the pros and amatuers having half the subjects looking at one camera and half at the other. Bride very dissapointed in results, pro has obvious excuse, amatuer has dodgy photos.

But that's just a response to you regarding that. Ask the bride.

If you can't control which way the people in a posed wedding picture are looking (the only time anyone should be looking at a camera), then you shouldn't be charging to shoot weddings. I hear lifetouch is hiring.

sponsored links
scorpiojo
331 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 18, 2013 20:13 |  #62

I just wonder sometimes if guest that bring pro gear to weddings are trying to build portfolios! Just enjoy the food and drinks and bring your P & S camera.

:rolleyes: Scorpiojo
5D MK III, 7D Mark II, EF 24-70 Mark II 2.8, Sigma 35 1.4 Art, EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, EF 70-200 f2.8L IS, 24-105 f4[COLOR=red]L IS, EF 85 f1.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Sigma 10mm f2.8 EX DC HSM fisheye,
www.scorpiojo.com (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2013 20:15 |  #63

DreDaze wrote in post #15843354 (external link)
i did say "unless they plan on banning all camera phones, and everything" I would assume something like that was included in the invitation or at least notified before the day of the event.

and personally i really don't think it's a bad idea as long as you've got enough professionals there to cover everything(although I'd feel more than 2 would be needed)

I'd laugh my butt off if I got an invite from a relative of mine banning cameras. People really need to get some perspective.....it's a wedding. It's supposed to be fun and it's supposed to pull families together.

Some brides seem to think they are out to impress the queen or something.

They want to ban kids from ruining their big event.....despite the fact that the whole point of the event is family.

They want to dictate every detail of what everyone wears, and the fret if a bridesmaid is 'too fat' or something. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

Weddings should be fun. Families should be there having a good time.

I can tell you, I've been to a $5000 wedding and I've been to a $100,000 wedding. I had a better time at the $5000 wedding, which is something that I think a lot of older people recognize and that too many brides do not.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,204 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 18, 2013 20:19 |  #64

i think they should ban ipads...i gotta admit, i hate seeing people use those as cameras out and about...:)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,839 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 18, 2013 20:20 |  #65

JeffreyG wrote in post #15843378 (external link)
I'd laugh my butt off if I got an invite from a relative of mine banning cameras. People really need to get some perspective.....it's a wedding. It's supposed to be fun and it's supposed to pull families together.

They want to ban kids from ruining their big event.....despite the fact that the whole point of the event is family.

They want to dictate every detail of what everyone wears, and the fret if a bridesmaid is 'too fat' or something. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

I can tell you, I've been to a $5000 wedding and I've been to a $100,000 wedding. I had a better time at the $5000 wedding, which is something that I think a lot of older people recognize and that too many brides do not.

Me too, some brides need to get over themselves with the rules that they want to impose on their 'guests' it's supposed to be a celebration of a joining of families!

And some of the grooms REALLY need to be thinking exactly what they are getting themselves in for!!!!!!

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,021 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 18, 2013 20:20 |  #66

That is a big jump. Not wanting cameras is one thing.
Dictating dress, opinions on guests body shape, not wanting kids, money spent are different issues.

We had no cameras, fun, kids and fat people wearing what they liked at a relatively low cost venue.

Dave
Image editing OK

JeffreyG
15,521 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2013 20:56 |  #67

Choderboy wrote in post #15843392 (external link)
That is a big jump. Not wanting cameras is one thing.
Dictating dress, opinions on guests body shape, not wanting kids, money spent are different issues.

We had no cameras, fun, kids and fat people wearing what they liked at a relatively low cost venue.

Then you did pretty well, and while your guests laughed at you for telling them not to bring their cameras, they probably got over it. I've seen worse. The $100,000 wedding I went to had a wonderful 9-piece band, but nobody danced. The bride had some fancy idea of serving dinner with widely spaced courses that people would dance and socialize between. But nobody understood that and they all sat around their own tables for the whole damn party wondering why dinner was dragging on for three hours. It was the craziest reception I've ever been to. Not surprisingly it was also one where the bride felt she needed to tell us all how to dress too.

I know we did a few things that in hindsight were silly or vain at our own wedding, but out guests rolled with it too and now that I'm older and wiser I have better insight.

Not that my own kids will probably listen to me either. I think all young people are destined to repeat the mistakes of their elders. That's how you learn.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 18, 2013 21:06 |  #68

5K is more than enough to do a great wedding. 100K is more than enough to turn a bride into a bridezilla too.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 18, 2013 21:08 |  #69

DreDaze wrote in post #15843387 (external link)
i think they should ban ipads...i gotta admit, i hate seeing people use those as cameras out and about...:)

Now that I could get behind. Or Nintendo DS. I don't really mind the later if it's used by a kid. Some 40 year old guy on the otherhand... :lol: And for the kid, the parent should get them a real camera. SL1 & a 40 pancake would be perfect for a 10 year old. Ok, might be a bit over the top, but doesn't even compare to the 50-100K wedding over the top.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
6,021 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 18, 2013 21:09 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #70

JeffreyG - I did not get laughed at (well not for what you think)

I was a guest who happily agreed not to bring a camera.
A few people bought cameras, nothing was said.

I suppose I have dysfunctional friends. We all just get along.
We laugh with each other most of the time.

Dave
Image editing OK

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 19, 2013 05:19 |  #71

I don't get all this don't bring pro gear bring a point and shoot instead. Everyone's going to be taking pictures with point and shoots with the flash strobing away like a freakin dance club, take pictures you're going to enjoy and leave the point and shoot at home.

JeffreyG
15,521 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 19, 2013 05:33 |  #72

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #15844386 (external link)
I don't get all this don't bring pro gear bring a point and shoot instead. Everyone's going to be taking pictures with point and shoots with the flash strobing away like a freakin dance club, take pictures you're going to enjoy and leave the point and shoot at home.

Well, really it's just those few people who mistake themselves for the professional photographer and show up with everthing they own looking like the sideline guy at an NFL game. Guests need some perspective too, they are invited participants in a wedding, not working photographers.

So really it would help if both groups kept things in mind:

1) Brides and grooms should remember that the people they invite are honoured guests and not props or extras in The Making of Our Very Special Day. You know some of your relatives are ugly, goofy, or both, so live with it.

2) Guests should maintain some decorum. Clutching a P&S, mirrirless or even a dSLR with one modest lens is perfectly fine. Wandering around with a camera bag the size of a knapsack and having two dSLR's hanging off you is ridiculous. And please don't interfere with the posed formals. If you really want a formal shot of the wedding party then you can get one from the photographer through the bride later.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 19, 2013 08:30 |  #73

Wandering around with a camera bag the size of a knapsack and having two dSLR's hanging off you is ridiculous.

If someone suggested something like that in this thread, I missed it. I think all of the people who have said to take your gear to a wedding are talking about 1 DSLR & 1 (or at most 2) lenses.

w0m
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 19, 2013 08:44 |  #74

vengence wrote in post #15844773 (external link)
If someone suggested something like that in this thread, I missed it. I think all of the people who have said to take your gear to a wedding are talking about 1 DSLR & 1 (or at most 2) lenses.

Pretty much. As a 20something, I've been to allot of weddings in the last few years as guest. Every wedding different of course, and the next wedding I go to in July I'll likely just have 6d+50L unless I specifically get asked to bring more as I know they have a hired professional.

I've been at weddings where the entirety of the planned photography was disposables handed out (including ceremony); those I tend to pay a little more attention to wandering around getting group shots/etc at (vs purely socializing and taking a photo every once in a while).

[6D]

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 19, 2013 10:08 |  #75

w0m wrote in post #15844821 (external link)
Pretty much. As a 20something, I've been to allot of weddings in the last few years as guest. Every wedding different of course, and the next wedding I go to in July I'll likely just have 6d+50L unless I specifically get asked to bring more as I know they have a hired professional.

I've been at weddings where the entirety of the planned photography was disposables handed out (including ceremony); those I tend to pay a little more attention to wandering around getting group shots/etc at (vs purely socializing and taking a photo every once in a while).

I haven't seen a whole wedding done like that but, I've seen many receptions with that done. I suspect this has (or will) go away in the future with the prevalence of cellphone cameras at receptions. Sadly, there are times where a bride will get better photos that way than some of the people who shoot weddings.

sponsored links

15,467 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which lens to take to wedding as a guest?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.