Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Apr 2013 (Friday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-105mm f/4.0 L focus troubles

dschwen
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 19, 2013 11:30 |  #1

Hello forum members,

I have a 24-105mm f/4.0 L that has been giving me headaches for some time now.
It simply won't produce sharp images at 24mm for any object further than 200ft away.
I've had it sent to Canon twice already. Once they did nothing and once they "adjusted" my camera's autofocus settings.

It is not the autofocus. I've tried focussing manually to no avail. I dont care about the distance reading in the window on the lens barrel. I don't care if the lens is parfocal or not. At 24mm it does not focus on anything beyond 200ft away :-(.

I made manually focussed image series slowly changing the focus distance and it looks like I just cannot turn the focus ring far enough towards infinity. The pictures get gradually sharper, but before I hit a good focus the ring hits the mechanical limit.
I've gotten rather frustrated about this to the point where I'm about to open the lens up myself (probably a terrible idea). Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm based in Northern New Mexico. Does anyon know a knowledgable repair shop the can recommend?

Thanks,
Daniel

sponsored links
Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 19, 2013 13:11 |  #2

I've had similar issues with the 24-70, but after it got dropped. The 24 to 35 zoom length would not focus at anything other than infinity. It sounds like you have a pretty odd scenerio though, because everything past a certain length (30ft) should all fall into the realm of infinity focus.

If you've sent it into Canon and they reported no issues, you might try the lens on another camera body. I know when Canon finishes a repair, it goes through a very strict quality check test on all focal lengths.

Do you have some example photos we can look at? It could be your IS mechanism is at fault too.

I wouldn't open up the lens though. You have the chance of turning a $800 lens into a paper weight.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 19, 2013 14:17 |  #3

I can't find the thread, but I thought I read that some of the earlier copies of this lens have trouble at 24mm in apertures smaller than f/4.0. Does it demonstrate the same problems at f/4 as at f/8?

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

dschwen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 19, 2013 15:00 |  #4

It is not the IS. That was one of the first things I checked. Plus in my images the foreground objects are perfectly sharp (at a distance of 100ft, don't pin me down on exact distances)

The problem is most noticeable at f/4.0. I usually stop down and focus manually to mitigate to problem, but sharpness is still far from ideal.

I tried the lens on a 5D and a 5D mark II body. Exact same behavior.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 19, 2013 15:29 |  #5

Canon has heard everything you said in the original post, and they still think it's the camera?

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

dschwen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 19, 2013 17:13 |  #6

waterrockets wrote in post #15846158 (external link)
Canon has heard everything you said in the original post, and they still think it's the camera?

Ha, that is a good question. I tried to be as detailed and explicit as possible. Needless to say I was baffled when the sent back the camera and lens with the note that they adjusted the autofocus.

I've been very reluctant to send it in again after that experience. I do have a spare body now, but the 24-105 is my main lens.

Simpleboy
197 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 19, 2013 17:17 |  #7

I think some sample images may help here

dschwen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 19, 2013 17:21 |  #8

Simpleboy wrote in post #15846539 (external link)
I think some sample images may help here

Ok, I will upload some later this evening.

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,751 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 19, 2013 17:39 as a reply to  @ dschwen's post |  #9

Don't go opening it! Unless you know what you are doing (you would already be doing it and not asking us)
I bet you could post examples on here, show at other distances and focal lengths and you'll get a decent offer from someone who is happy with what it can do.

DON'T OPEN IT!

Curious, your logic and testing seems reasonable (excluding the open talk)
So what about other focal lengths.
Where does it become good? I'd test at 35,50,105 probably just to start.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,751 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 19, 2013 17:43 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #10

Play the game.
There will be so many people telling you it's you, not the lens, let them put their money where their mouth is and buy it off you.
Yeah sure, they already have one, but since theirs is so fantastic, they must know someone who would want it.
I think I woke up evil this morning :)

Dave
Image editing OK

dschwen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 19, 2013 21:41 |  #11

Here is a manualfocus series I just took. No IS and f/4.0.
It is actually much worse tha I had in mind. In real life I mostly shoot closeup (kids) at smaller apertures.

http://i.imgur.com/hMq​63Aq.jpg (external link)

left - focussed to "infinity"
right - focussed to 1m

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 19, 2013 21:53 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

So was it good before or it has always been like that??

Have you tried any other copy of 24-105?

Seriously I read the 24-105 sucks at 24mm, maybe you are expecting too much??

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 19, 2013 21:55 |  #13

Mine works great at 24mm....

It does appear that you're not getting out to infinity for some reason. No filter on it, right?

It would be nice to shoot down a row of fenceposts or power poles so we could get an idea if it's focusing anywhere while you do your shot series.

I think it may be time to get back on the horn with Canon and tell them that they made it worse... unless someone else has a fix idea here...

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,751 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 19, 2013 21:59 |  #14

kin2son wrote in post #15847246 (external link)
So was it good before or it has always been like that??

Have you tried any other copy of 24-105?

Seriously I read the 24-105 sucks at 24mm, maybe you are expecting too much??

I read all kind of stuff. Have owned 24-105 since about 2007.
I'd never say "sucks" at 24 as that explains nothing.
I would say a little soft at 24 at the edges. More distortion than I would like.That way it actually means something. Vacuum cleaners suck.

I can also add by 28 it's much better and 35-105 I really like it. A lot.

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,751 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 19, 2013 22:04 |  #15

dschwen wrote in post #15847210 (external link)
Here is a manualfocus series I just took. No IS and f/4.0.
It is actually much worse tha I had in mind. In real life I mostly shoot closeup (kids) at smaller apertures.

http://i.imgur.com/hMq​63Aq.jpg (external link)

left - focussed to "infinity"
right - focussed to 1m

It looks like you have posted examples of
left - F16 (with focus closer to camera than truck)
right - F4 (but with focus point mid way? between camera and truck.)

On the left I see ground and truck sharpest of all pics.
On the right I see ground out of focus, truck more so.
The ground, is foreground, why is it sharper with focus at infinity?

You are going to some trouble. Can you post 3 - far left, middle and far right? So we can see more of the frame.

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

2,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-105mm f/4.0 L focus troubles
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.