Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY motorized panohead

welcomb
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 21, 2013 04:18 |  #1

Hi,

I'm about to embark on building a motorized panohead. With my background in computing I don't see much issues with the electronics and programming logic. What I baffles me is the mechanical support and structure needed.

I have found Sean's very sleek and elegant design (external link) and I'm considering adapting it. I noticed several very knowledgeable members here that's why I registered to ask for advice.

A common design for a motorized panohead would be to support the pan rotation fully on the motor. As I'm going to be using a cheap stepper motor, I don't think it's likely to support the mechanical forces. So I'm going to use Sean's thrust bearing design and put the motor on the top. I've rendered my idea in an exploded view in Sketchup:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8529/8668111886_d86b882b83.jpg

Essentially I'm attaching the motor's body with M2.5 screws to the horizontal arm, then coupling its shaft to an M8 or M10 bolt or lead screw which is used as the axle. The M2.5 screws would need to be rather long to cover the length of the coupler. Will that be an issue?

Any comments or advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 21, 2013 09:12 |  #2

http://www.servocity.c​om …ss_pan___tilt_s​ystem.html (external link)

I've got one of these and it works great.... If you are building your own, you may well want to look at their site for some ideas or off the shelf parts to save you some time...

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

welcomb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 21, 2013 22:23 as a reply to  @ P51Mstg's post |  #3

Commercial solutions are nice but unfortunately I do not have the budget for it. The 5:1 reduction gearing looks good, but it adds complexity to the build which I'm trying to avoid. The head's not gonna pan that quickly so I hoping a direct drive stepper should have enough torque. Now for the tilt head, I might need a robotic servo instead.

That said I do have access to a 3D printer to fabricate the motor mounts though.

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 22, 2013 09:34 |  #4

I'm in the process of making a gimbal head so this caught my attention. That drawing looked familiar!

M2.5 screws are rather small. They seem to be too small to me but then I don't know just how much weight and torque you'll be creating with it. If you have problems you could perhaps surround the motor with keys (small blocks screwed to the cross bar) to prevent twisting. Not sure if you'll have lifting problems. With something like this it's often a try it and see scenario.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

welcomb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 24, 2013 02:41 |  #5

The drawing's familiar cos it's based on Sean's design, and 5teve drew one before.

I need to use M2.5 screws cos that's what the motor mount holes are. I could use a slightly bigger motor that takes M3 screws. I've been thinking how to assemble this and think I'll have to have the coupler exposed to attach it to the motor shaft.

Alternately I can use a separate motor mounting plate and mount that to the arm with M5 bolts and nuts (see attached image).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,521 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY motorized panohead
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.