Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Apr 2013 (Saturday) 18:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storage while traveling.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 20, 2013 18:51 |  #1

Is there anything better than a Hyperdrive Colorspace for storing and viewing images while traveling. Anything with a bigger screen? I don't want to have to carry an iPad to do it.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 20, 2013 19:13 |  #2

I don't think there's anything between the Hyperdrive-sized boxes and a netbook. Remember, an iPad doesn't have a whole lot of capacity once you put a few apps and a couple of tunes on it, and won't let you move the files off the iPad to an external device.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 20, 2013 20:06 |  #3

Jon wrote in post #15849796 (external link)
I don't think there's anything between the Hyperdrive-sized boxes and a netbook. Remember, an iPad doesn't have a whole lot of capacity once you put a few apps and a couple of tunes on it, and won't let you move the files off the iPad to an external device.

I'm looking at the netbooks and realizing that they're the same price as a Hyperdrive, and have a larger screen. Just the size issue.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Daphatty
490 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 20, 2013 21:40 |  #4

Whoever invents a replacement for the hyperdrive in an iPad mini form factor is going to be very rich.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 20, 2013 21:45 |  #5

Well, if you want a bigger screen, you need to accept a bigger device. It's a simple matter of geometry.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 21, 2013 08:09 |  #6

Why would one want a screen at all? The screen's not going to be good enough to process images. There's little need for removing duds (not when you've got enough storage space for 30,000 images) - besides who wants to spend time on holiday trawling through images looking for the deletable? All a flash screen will do is eat batteries.

I really like my Nexto device - it has one tiny (3/4" square?) screen and one button. But it does the job of getting images from the card to the hard drive.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

broadcast_techie
180 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 21, 2013 09:46 |  #7

I didn't realise there was any alternative to the Hyperdrive, the Nexto does seem to be a reasonable alternative and available at a more reasonable price.
Was thinking about building something similar using a Raspberry Pi etc. which I"m figuring must be cheaper and more fun. Probs just use an LCD to confirm operation, but perhaps expose the composite / hdmi output to preview images if needed. The biggest issue I have would be building a suitable case, this is something the off the shelf products defiantly have the advantage here!

csondagar
792 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Apr 21, 2013 10:22 |  #8

I recently used Hyperdrive Colorspace for my trip to India and Dubai. I must say that for the price it was well worth it instead of purchasing multiple cards. The device is light enough to fit in the camera bag, and I did not have any issue carrying it anywhere including through customs and security.

Though I did not intend to view/edit my photos during the trip there were times I could not resist showing off some of the photos to my friends and relatives.

The small screen of Hyperdrive is not ideal for 'actual' viewing but I used Hyperdrive wifi (included with device) and tagged it to my iPad, and voila, I had larger screen to view on - awesome!

So, there you have it. a small enough device to backup your precious photos, and with its wifi connected to iPad, you have a larger screen to show off your photography talent!!

My Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | 7D, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM | Speedlite 430EX | Reflector Disk 5-in-1 110cm

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 21, 2013 11:26 |  #9

hollis_f wrote in post #15851015 (external link)
Why would one want a screen at all? The screen's not going to be good enough to process images. There's little need for removing duds (not when you've got enough storage space for 30,000 images) - besides who wants to spend time on holiday trawling through images looking for the deletable? All a flash screen will do is eat batteries.

I really like my Nexto device - it has one tiny (3/4" square?) screen and one button. But it does the job of getting images from the card to the hard drive.

Because when traveling I find it a lot easier to tag and geocode the images while everything's fresh in my mind. So I use either a netbook or a small full-powered PC. When we went to the Galapagos, I worked in the boat's lounge and hooked up the large-screen TV as a secondary monitor running a constant slideshow of my take to date for everyone else to see.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 21, 2013 16:10 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #10

I like to look at the images at the end of each day, as I can learn from mistakes I make with exposure, etc.

Jay

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 21, 2013 16:19 |  #11

I'm the same as Jon, I have a 13" laptop that goes with me everywhere. For longer trips it is a must I reckon. You can hook onto hotels wifi as well to upload shots, plus do a bit of web browsing to look for things to visit, keep up with emails etc. Yes a small portable storage device is handy, but being able to do more things than just store images is also handy on trips.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

jasonleehl
521 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 22, 2013 07:04 |  #12

L.J.G. wrote in post #15852241 (external link)
I'm the same as Jon, I have a 13" laptop that goes with me everywhere. For longer trips it is a must I reckon. You can hook onto hotels wifi as well to upload shots, plus do a bit of web browsing to look for things to visit, keep up with emails etc. Yes a small portable storage device is handy, but being able to do more things than just store images is also handy on trips.

Same here. After looking at the size of hyperdrive and assessing the convenience of having a portable computer on the travel, I must say a MacBook Air 13" + a 2.5" Hard Disk is really very versatile. I like to lie on the hotel bed at night, using the laptop to scroll through the photos and think through my composition.

For people going light, I can see the 11" or a netbook being very useful.

You're welcome to follow me at Instagram (external link) or visit my gallery at http://www.timestoodst​ill.sg (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 22, 2013 09:27 |  #13

jasonleehl wrote in post #15854149 (external link)
For people going light, I can see the 11" or a netbook being very useful.

You and I have different definitions of 'travelling light'. When your total luggage allowance is 15kg the weight difference between 2 Hyperdrives vs a laptop, hard drive and power supply can be quite important.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 22, 2013 09:54 |  #14

hollis_f wrote in post #15851015 (external link)
...I really like my Nexto device...

IIRC, you own the older model Hyperdrive.

I'm interested in why you bought a Nexto rather than the new model Hyperdrive, if you care to elaborate.

Tom

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 22, 2013 10:03 |  #15

tvphotog wrote in post #15852197 (external link)
I like to look at the images at the end of each day, as I can learn from mistakes I make with exposure, etc.

The answer is a netbook.

http://www.amazon.com …ds=netbook#prod​uctDetails (external link)

7x10" and 2.9lbs and very cheap.

Anything smaller is not going to have reasonable amount of storage (7" tablet) or is not going to have a useful screen (hyperdrive).

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

6,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
Storage while traveling.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.