Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 13:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which lens to take to wedding as a guest?

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 20, 2013 21:38 |  #106

silvrg35 wrote in post #15849743 (external link)
And the VALUE of anyone's car have NOTHING to do with this conversation. Nice try troll.

It's okay to leave your camera equipments on the chair to go dancing if your gears are insured? Very similar to your insured car logic, whereas it is okay to leave your car in the parking lot. :rolleyes:

lolwut? You're crazy man.

sponsored links
nikesupremedunk
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 20, 2013 23:09 |  #107

When I first got into photography, I was very eager to learn. Took my DSLR for the first time to a wedding with my 24-70 and flash. I tried not to get in the way of the pro's and got some good experience + photos out of it which I gave to the couple.

Next wedding I went to, I just brought my iphone. It was fun shooting the first time, but I realized there's no point of wasting my time and energy taking photos for someone else's wedding when there are people getting paid to do so. Instead, just go have a good time and maybe bring a small p&s. If you are doing it for experience, or someone very close, that's understandable and I'd just bring the 24-105.

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 20, 2013 23:13 |  #108

nikesupremedunk wrote in post #15850333 (external link)
but I realized there's no point of wasting my time and energy taking photos for someone else's wedding when there are people getting paid to do so.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. There are a lot of people getting paid to shoot weddings that should not be doing so and the average POTN armature will produce better results. With many brides choosing their photographer based solely on price, this problem gets only worse. Take a few average photos when there is a great photog and you've lost nothing. Take a few average photographs when there is a lousy photog and you've saved the day.

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 20, 2013 23:34 |  #109

Charlie wrote in post #15843353 (external link)
it's not really feasible for a bride to ban all cameras, because that would mean banning a crap load of phones.... people just wont obey that type of request. Good luck enforcing those rules.... but then again, never met a bride that banned cameras... ever.

I think some (selfishly minded or misguided) pros plant the idea. Maybe some overwhelmed brides take the bad advice. I've even heard of some photographers trying to plant that in their contract - not with intent to enforce but at least they have an out for handling an Uncle Bob.

I'm with those saying it's not all about the bride. When 15 or 20 rarely seen favorite relatives of mine are gathering, some from thousands of miles, the last thing I'd want is no photos. I'm not about to pay the pro $$$ for them (their profiting big from sales after being paid very well is just annoying), I just want a few I can throw in a frame and share with other friends and family.

If it were a funeral; I'd understand.

Someone coming equipped like a pro is different. A simple DSLR with pop-up flash, no problem.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 21, 2013 07:28 |  #110

NBEast wrote in post #15850378 (external link)
I think some (selfishly minded or misguided) pros plant the idea. Maybe some overwhelmed brides take the bad advice. I've even heard of some photographers trying to plant that in their contract - not with intent to enforce but at least they have an out for handling an Uncle Bob.

These people are just confused. A lot of wedding photographers may have a clause in their contract stating that they will be the only photographer....meanin​g the only professional photographer. The point of the clause is that the bride cannot hire two professional photographers to cover the wedding. It's a matter of controlling who else is hired.

Some really, really confused photographers see these types of clauses in the contracts of established professionals and copy them. The confusion is that they think this clause has something to do with guests taking pictures, which it does not and can not.

The contract is between the bride and the photographer....which means those are the only two people controlled by the contract. Photographers cannot make 'Uncle Bob' do anything since 'Uncle Bob' is not a party to the contract.

And similarly, the photographer cannot get the bride to enforce a 'no photography' rule on her guests. She's in the middle of her wedding and in no position to do so. This point is moot anyway unless the photographer is an idiot, because acting like a maniac and trying to get all cameras banned from a wedding you are shooting is really bad for business.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,284 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 21, 2013 09:02 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #111

If I were a wedding photographer now and I did medium format weddings in the 80s and 90s and I had such a clause in my contract. If I had to move people out of the way to do my job I would enforce that clause. I would tell the B&G to please tell their guests to not interfere with me and my ability to do my job or those interfering could finish shooting the wedding. Also the fact that many would be slowing the formal portraits down and thats time the B&G could be spending with their guests. How many that are in the way of a photographer at a wedding would like it if that photographer came to their work and interfered with them working?

Go and enjoy the wedding and remember its the B&Gs day not just another photo op so you can go and show off the new lens and your amazing photo skill using someone elses poses and in some cases the benefit of their lights. The things that slow down the pro can make a much longer photo session for the B&G. Make their day longer and more stressful so go have some cocktails, dance and have fun and leave the photos to the ones that were hired to do it.

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 21, 2013 09:44 |  #112

I'm a Wedding Photographer and I Uncle Bob EVERY wedding I get invited to

If you invite me to your wedding, expect to be Bobbed :D

I do stay out of the Pro's way though, I just use my 200 f/2L IS to snag the whole wedding from the back of the room and unfortunately too many times the B+G have had to end up using my photos to supplement what they receive from the Pro as many wedding photographers in Melbourne are bad

Honestly I don't enjoy weddings unless I'm photographing :D

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 21, 2013 10:30 |  #113

Are we having fun yet? Maybe we should discuss funerals next.

GEAR LIST

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 21, 2013 11:05 |  #114

smorter wrote in post #15851232 (external link)
I'm a Wedding Photographer and I Uncle Bob EVERY wedding I get invited to

If you invite me to your wedding, expect to be Bobbed :D

I do stay out of the Pro's way though, I just use my 200 f/2L IS to snag the whole wedding from the back of the room and unfortunately too many times the B+G have had to end up using my photos to supplement what they receive from the Pro as many wedding photographers in Melbourne are bad

Honestly I don't enjoy weddings unless I'm photographing :D

+1

I'm with you smorter. I stay well out of the way with the 200 f2.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,170 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 21, 2013 11:11 |  #115

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15851135 (external link)
If I were a wedding photographer now and I did medium format weddings in the 80s and 90s and I had such a clause in my contract. If I had to move people out of the way to do my job I would enforce that clause. I would tell the B&G to please tell their guests to not interfere with me and my ability to do my job or those interfering could finish shooting the wedding. Also the fact that many would be slowing the formal portraits down and thats time the B&G could be spending with their guests. How many that are in the way of a photographer at a wedding would like it if that photographer came to their work and interfered with them working?

Go and enjoy the wedding and remember its the B&Gs day not just another photo op so you can go and show off the new lens and your amazing photo skill using someone elses poses and in some cases the benefit of their lights. The things that slow down the pro can make a much longer photo session for the B&G. Make their day longer and more stressful so go have some cocktails, dance and have fun and leave the photos to the ones that were hired to do it.

what if while you're doing all the posed portraits and everything...the wedding guest is getting snaps of everyone else at the cocktail hour...not in your way, and getting shots for the couple that you don't even see...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,284 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 21, 2013 11:30 |  #116

DreDaze wrote in post #15851416 (external link)
what if while you're doing all the posed portraits and everything...the wedding guest is getting snaps of everyone else at the cocktail hour...not in your way, and getting shots for the couple that you don't even see...

I think I said "if I had to move people out of the way to do my job."

But again, why? If the B&G hire a photographer they do it for reason and its their day not your photo op day. I know its hard for some to get their heads around but a wedding is the bride and grooms day not your day to have a photo op. I couldn't care less what anybody at any wedding does now and so glad with these situations that I only do corporate work now but if I were still shooting weddings and if you weren't in my way or slowing the process down do, what you want.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,170 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 21, 2013 11:40 |  #117

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15851475 (external link)

But again, why? If the B&G hire a photographer they do it for reason and its their day not your photo op day. I know its hard for some to get their heads around but a wedding is the bride and grooms day not your day to have a photo op. I couldn't care less what anybody at any wedding does now and so glad with these situations that I only do corporate work now but if I were still shooting weddings and if you weren't in my way or slowing the process down do, what you want.

because I enjoy taking photos of my family, and know that I'm not going to be 'in the way'

why do i take pictures at easter/christmas/bdays​/thanksgiving...

in my mind the photographer is hired for the posed shots before/after the wedding, and the ceremony...the reception/cocktail hour all that isn't what they're there for...as you said it's all about the bride and groom

from my sisters wedding i'd say 75% of the photos i took don't have the bride and groom in them...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 21, 2013 12:20 |  #118

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15851475 (external link)

Funny, I thought you were getting paid to a job. Part of that job is working around the B&G's guests. They paid a lot of money for their guests to come and enjoy the ceremony. I know very few B&G (my wife and I included) that wouldn't want our guests being able to take their own pictures for themselves. I don't know how you think what you wrote comes off, but it comes off as the arrogant, rude, and self centered photographer that everyone hates. :(

airfrogusmc
36,284 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 21, 2013 14:25 |  #119

vengence wrote in post #15851640 (external link)
Funny, I thought you were getting paid to a job. Part of that job is working around the B&G's guests. They paid a lot of money for their guests to come and enjoy the ceremony. I know very few B&G (my wife and I included) that wouldn't want our guests being able to take their own pictures for themselves. I don't know how you think what you wrote comes off, but it comes off as the arrogant, rude, and self centered photographer that everyone hates. :(

Arrogant and rude? A wedding photographer has a tough job and if he is having to move people out of the way or wait for them to take their photos its prolonging the B&Gs day which is long and stressful as it is and for what, so those that are the offenders can have photographs with no regard for anything except doing what they want to do? Who are the rude and the self centered in that scenario? Not the working photographer. Hes just trying to do a very hard job and give the B&G the best work he can give them and in many cases just made harder by those I just mentioned.

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 21, 2013 15:48 |  #120

airfrogusmc wrote in post #15851939 (external link)
Arrogant and rude? A wedding photographer has a tough job and if he is having to move people out of the way or wait for them to take their photos its prolonging the B&Gs day which is long and stressful as it is and for what, so those that are the offenders can have photographs with no regard for anything except doing what they want to do? Who are the rude and the self centered in that scenario? Not the working photographer. Hes just trying to do a very hard job and give the B&G the best work he can give them and in many cases just made harder by those I just mentioned.

Bridezilla or photogzilla? I'm glad that I am already married so that I no longer have to choose if these are the only two choices left anymore.

I have been to several weddings where the photog had issues. Either lack of experience, professionalism, equipment, etc. that caused an opportunity to have been missed (or would have caused an opportunity to have been missed if there hadn't been a few Uncle Bob's running around). I appreciate your concern for the stress on the bride and groom, but part of the professionalism that the couple expects is for the photog to handle the situation for them. Not to come complaining that their dear, sweet Aunt Myrtle won't listen to you and keeps getting the wedding party to look at her instead of you when you want to take a photo.

I see many posts on here from individuals that have been wrangled into doing a wedding for the first time (some by choice, others by guilt). So often, the question is about whether the gear that they have is sufficient, and the response is often that a professional could be successful with that (but that they should convince the couple to go find a real professional). How one handles the stress of the day goes much farther in my book in defining a professional (and whether they are ready to shoot a wedding) than how much or little they earn in profits.

I've shot several weddings as the primary photog and too many to count as an Uncle Bob. I've never asked for a dime, and in the eyes of the law, that kicks me out of the professional category. However, most of the times that I was the primary photog were situations where the special day was falling apart and the "professional" realized that they were in over their head too late. I know what I am doing (technically and creatively, though I don't have "shot lists" memorized) and was able to help in such situations. If I hadn't Uncle Bob'd it, things would have been worse in those situations, but I also have enough manners to stay out of the way when I'm not needed.

I believe that one of the greatest temptations for the Uncle Bobs out there is that the professional has a command of the situation. Whether organizing, posing, or just making sure that things from a photographic perspective run smoothly, these are skills that your normal Uncle Bob does not possess. The Uncle Bob's that have these skills already usually have built them through hard work and will not be under foot. I try to keep in mind that they are giving me a roundabout compliment in wanting to tag on to my posing, etc., and I often work with them. I ask them to please keep their cameras down until I step back/away, but also giving a minute for them to piggy back on the shot. With on-camera, on-axis flash, I doubt that I would be missing a lot of sales even if I did charge. Those that appreciate quality photography, will probably not be happy with the "deer in the headlights" look and those that don't wouldn't likely cough up $$$ anyway.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

sponsored links

15,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which lens to take to wedding as a guest?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.