Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Apr 2013 (Monday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone here use old/other brand lenses with camera?

Guitartists
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 15, 2013 14:38 |  #1

I was just curious if anyone else here plays around with other lenses on your Canon besides current canon lenses? I recently bought an adapter ring so that I could mess around with a bunch of old Nikon lenses that I have. My great uncle was a photographer for the army and also for himself. When he passed he left an old Nippon /Nikon camera to my mother that came with 3 lenses. The lenses all still work and are in great shape from what I can tell. I figured for $15...it was worth giving it a try :) The lenses are nothing I am used to and one has some kind of extension tubes on it??? But I look forward to messing around with them.

Anyone else try this? Anyone familiar with old Nikon lenses? They are fully manual.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Photography has no rules. It is not a sport. It is the result which counts, no matter how it was achieved." ~ Bill Brandt
Gear: Canon EOS Rebel T3 and some lenses and what-not :p ~~~ See my Artwork & Photography @ http://www.artwanted.c​om/guitartistsexternal link

sponsored links
Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 16, 2013 08:31 |  #2

Hmmm...no one? There is a look to some older photos that I have seen that I can't seem to replicate. Thinking it must be the older lenses that do it. Hoping one of mine will get the job done.

Also.... that light sensor works......of course I have little idea what all of the numbers and dials are for :P But wondering if it is worth getting to know ;)

"Photography has no rules. It is not a sport. It is the result which counts, no matter how it was achieved." ~ Bill Brandt
Gear: Canon EOS Rebel T3 and some lenses and what-not :p ~~~ See my Artwork & Photography @ http://www.artwanted.c​om/guitartistsexternal link

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 20, 2013 13:52 |  #3

I absolutely love the shots I get with my old 50mm f/1.4 Pentax Super Multi-Coated Takumar lens on my 5d Mark II. I think those old Nikkor lenses will give you some nice shots with a proper adaptor. Have fun!

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 20, 2013 14:56 |  #4

I would loooove to see some of them :D I'm getting fidgety waiting for my adapter to come in the mail lol

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 21, 2013 02:56 |  #5

Here you go. Taken in dim light at f/1.4.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 21, 2013 11:20 |  #6

Aaawwww...what a cutie :) I wish my lenses had that small of an f stop.... but they are significantly better than my canon lenses...other than my 50mm. Thanks for posting :) That adapter better get here soon! lol

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 21, 2013 11:26 |  #7

Have you seen this thread? Lots of stuff there.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

clb
302 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 21, 2013 11:28 |  #8

I occasional use a 30 year old, completely manual, Tamron 70-210mm Nikon mount with an adaptall II adapter on my Canon cams. I am always amazed at how good the optics are on this lens.

Chuck
Canon 7D 50D 40D(X-2) -Gripped, 600D T3I -Gripped, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD, Tamron 90mm Macro, YN565EX Flash,YN-622C trigs

Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 21, 2013 16:30 |  #9

Thanks for the link...no I had not seen that post! I'm hoping the optics on mine are good. I think they're pre 60's.... but I am not for sure.

sponsored links

848 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone here use old/other brand lenses with camera?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.