Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Feb 2013 (Wednesday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Confirms AF Assist Beam Firmware Fix for 5D Mark III and 1D X is Coming

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 22, 2013 22:43 |  #46

somewhat true, but their durations are much shorter.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 23, 2013 10:21 |  #47

Maybe but then there's AF assist flash then preflash then redeye reduction flash then actual flash. :lol:

And I don't know about all cells but mine is actually an LED that stays on until the shot is taken.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

lyttleviet
537 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 21, 2013 12:03 |  #48

Its late April, I hope they are actually on time with this fix as it affects every job that I do with my cameras.

www.opulentphotography​.com (external link)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 21, 2013 12:13 |  #49

lyttleviet wrote in post #15851589 (external link)
Its late April, I hope they are actually on time with this fix as it affects every job that I do with my cameras.

It's already been announced and confirmed as April 30, 2013. It's on Canon's website:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …r_cameras/eos_5​d_mark_iii (external link)

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 21, 2013 12:57 |  #50

Where does it say it will fix the AF assit beam issue?

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 21, 2013 14:21 as a reply to  @ boingy's post |  #51

Below are the two items that will be improved with the new firmware. These are direct from the Canon website.

Uncompressed HDMI Output Support
When shooting video, HDMI Output makes possible the recording of high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) from the EOS 5D Mark III to an external recorder via the camera's HDMI terminal. This, in turn, facilitates the editing of video data with minimal image degradation for greater on-site workflow efficiency during motion picture and video productions. Additionally, video being captured can be displayed on an external monitor, enabling real-time, on-site monitoring of high-definition video during shooting.

Improved AF Functionality
Even when the EOS 5D Mark III is equipped with an extender and lens making possible a maximum aperture of f/8, the firmware update supports AF employing the camera's central cross-type points (currently compatible with maximum apertures up to f/5.6). Accordingly, the update will allow users to take advantage of AF when shooting distant subjects, benefitting sports and nature photographers, particularly when using telephoto lenses.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 21, 2013 14:25 |  #52

lehmanncpa wrote in post #15851921 (external link)
Below are the two items that will be improved with the new firmware. These are direct from the Canon website.

These say nothing about the AF assist beam, just the f/8 AF.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 21, 2013 14:39 |  #53

CR cites sending your camera in to Canon and your camera will come back with the new firmware. :lol: For those who have no patience, there you go.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 21, 2013 14:41 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #54

Reading Canon UK support for the 5D III which was posted in Feb, it describes the issue and the resolution will be coming via a firmware update (Estimated) late April for the 5D III and (Estimated) late May for the 1DX

http://www.canon.co.uk …515&page=1&type​=important (external link)

Surely this is whats included as well as RAW Hdmi and AF at F/8?

By the way the guy on the Firmware thread has his 5DIII back from Canon with Firmware 1.1.5

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 21, 2013 16:43 |  #55

I still see nothing in regards to the af assist beam issue..

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

sponsored links

12,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Confirms AF Assist Beam Firmware Fix for 5D Mark III and 1D X is Coming
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.