Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Apr 2013 (Monday) 22:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EBay - what's the scam with this one?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 22, 2013 22:13 |  #1

Last week a Nikon 200-400 f4 ED VRII lens appeared, it had a very low opening bid so I tossed $1876 on it so I could keep watching it. I kept watching it and it closed at $5700, that's a little more than I'd pay for one now that the market appears to be flooded with them. Tonight I get a "Second Chance Offer" on that lens, giving the price as $1876.

I've been on Ebay since 1998, and think I've seen them all but I've never seen this one. What's up with this? There is no way I was the 2nd highest bidder.

sponsored links
csshih
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 22, 2013 22:33 |  #2

all I can say is, if someone really wanted to scam you, paypal will not pay for your mistakes. I don't know why people think they can be protected by paypal. Be careful!

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 22, 2013 22:58 |  #3

Can you link to the listing? It'll help.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 22, 2013 23:05 |  #4

They will try to do this transaction outside of eBay and Paypal. You'll lose your money and you'll never see that lens. It's an old scam.

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 22, 2013 23:57 |  #5

5Dmaniac wrote in post #15857110 (external link)
They will try to do this transaction outside of eBay and Paypal. You'll lose your money and you'll never see that lens. It's an old scam.

I thought that might be it - funny thing, if I click on the link in the 2nd chance offer - all it does it open another instance of email. It does not go to EBay.
Anyone know an email address at EBay to report this kind of thing to? I doubt they care, but I'll send if anyone has the address handy.

Here's a link to the original auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com …NA:US:3160#ht_2​137wt_1182 (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 23, 2013 01:00 |  #6

rick_reno wrote in post #15857207 (external link)
I thought that might be it - funny thing, if I click on the link in the 2nd chance offer - all it does it open another instance of email. It does not go to EBay.
Anyone know an email address at EBay to report this kind of thing to? I doubt they care, but I'll send if anyone has the address handy.

Click on the Report Item link on right side of page when viewing the listing.

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 23, 2013 08:03 |  #7

The original listing looks legit. It does not contain any of the signs associated with a scam. The second chance offer seems like a scam. You are way down the list of bidders at an extremely low price. I wouldn't touch the second chance offer!

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 23, 2013 08:11 |  #8

rick_reno wrote in post #15857207 (external link)

it's a fake second chance offer. does it exist in your ebay account messages?

EhSantino
98 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 23, 2013 08:17 |  #9

The images seem to be legit, or at least not stolen directly from google.

Canon 7D | EF-S 10-22 | DC 17-70 | EF 70-200 F4L IS | 430EX II | Spotmatic F | SMC 50 1.4
Mordango (external link) - Flickr (external link)

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 23, 2013 08:29 |  #10

If I'm looking in the right place on EBay (my messages) - there is nothing there about this lens.

Got this note this morning from the "seller" engine@engineer.inb99.​info (external link)

Hi, Finally managed to get to a laptop where I can check my inbox, hope it hasn't been long since you emailed. My wife and I celebrate 15 years of marriage and we're on holiday. Long story short, the winner after speaking on the phone, waited for him all day long came up and wanted a straight swap. If that wasn't enough the bugger almost made us miss our flight. Hopefully we can come to an agreement so I won't have to relist it, therefore I am willing to accept your last bid price $1,876.00. I've got nothing to hide, agree with and recommend for your peace of mind a proper inspection before cash changes hands. I will only proceed using the eBay Protection Program. You will get 5 days for item inspection, I do accept returns. I can't accept a direct payment through this program, all payments will be handled by eBay. Seems eBay won't release the funds to me until you confirm the item's as described. If I just knew about this ebay program from the start. There's always something new to learn. Next week I'll return home and would like to have a buyer waiting for me. I'd appreciate if you could get back with an answer by tomorrow if you're keen to buy it. Once I receive your reply I'll just register everything with eBay. Regards P.S. My cell phone says no network coverage :( but I do check emails regularly.

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 23, 2013 08:36 |  #11

That is almost an impossible price for the lens to be real. But it could be one of many crazy thing everyday. Keep us updated. Good luck in getting the lens.

But on the second thought, I would say "if it is too good to be true, it probably is"

On the third thought after checking his feedback - seems to be a legit guy. Sold some big telephotos in the last couple of weeks. But then he should be well informed the value of the lens, unless he wants to give 2000$ away.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 23, 2013 08:47 |  #12

rick_reno wrote in post #15857962 (external link)
If I'm looking in the right place on EBay (my messages) - there is nothing there about this lens.

Got this note this morning from the "seller" engine@engineer.inb99.​info (external link)

Hi, Finally managed to get to a laptop where I can check my inbox, hope it hasn't been long since you emailed. My wife and I celebrate 15 years of marriage and we're on holiday. Long story short, the winner after speaking on the phone, waited for him all day long came up and wanted a straight swap. If that wasn't enough the bugger almost made us miss our flight. Hopefully we can come to an agreement so I won't have to relist it, therefore I am willing to accept your last bid price $1,876.00. I've got nothing to hide, agree with and recommend for your peace of mind a proper inspection before cash changes hands. I will only proceed using the eBay Protection Program. You will get 5 days for item inspection, I do accept returns. I can't accept a direct payment through this program, all payments will be handled by eBay. Seems eBay won't release the funds to me until you confirm the item's as described. If I just knew about this ebay program from the start. There's always something new to learn. Next week I'll return home and would like to have a buyer waiting for me. I'd appreciate if you could get back with an answer by tomorrow if you're keen to buy it. Once I receive your reply I'll just register everything with eBay. Regards P.S. My cell phone says no network coverage :( but I do check emails regularly.

yep. it's a hacked account

Riles
306 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 23, 2013 08:52 |  #13

Always look for the Second Chance Offers right on eBay. Emailing fake ones is a pretty common scam from what I've seen.

sophie's-mom
317 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 23, 2013 08:56 |  #14

People from Connecticut don't usually go on holiday or call people buggers.

Be very careful.

rick_reno
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 23, 2013 09:22 |  #15

Maybe I'll reply and tell him/her that the price is too low and I would feel better paying a fair price, say $5100. See where this thing goes.

sponsored links

2,707 views & 0 likes for this thread
EBay - what's the scam with this one?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.