Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 15:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS M Mirrorless Camera – I’m late to the party

nickspictures.com
242 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 14, 2013 15:04 |  #1

First of all let me say I wasn’t planning on purchasing this or any new camera right now. I was actually selling some gear to put money together for a Canon 1Dx purchase but I was surprised to see the bottom drop out of the 1D IV market and wasn’t willing to sell mine with only 30,000 accusations on it for the prices they have been going for.

I am the proud owner of the 5D Mark II and Mark III as well as the 1D IV so I have a large investment in lens for the platform. I had also picked up the Sony NEX-7, as I liked the specs and what Sony was doing on mirrorless side of the house. This camera as produced some great results for me and has traveled to many countries with me due to its size and quality.

http://nicktoday.com …era-im-late-to-the-party/ (external link)

NicksPictures Facebook / (external link) NickToday Blog (external link)
Nick Palomba Photography Business Site (external link)

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 14, 2013 22:20 |  #2

The EOS M is capable of outstanding images, especially with the little 22mm F/2. Videos are pretty good too.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

CircuitR
787 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 15, 2013 04:07 |  #3

I'm late to the party too! I picked up my EOS-M last week with the 22mm pancake. I think it's a great little camera. Nice to go to the park and take photos of my daughter without other parents staring at me when I usually have my 5D2 and 70-200.

5D mkII | 35L | 16-35mm F4 L IS | 50mm f1.4 USM | 135L |
EOS-M | 22mm f2 STM |
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 15, 2013 11:07 |  #4

The only thing that's keeping me from getting the M is lack of view finder.
I just can't get used to the idea of using the back LCD for comp etc. with a camera. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 15, 2013 16:07 |  #5

dmward wrote in post #15829969 (external link)
The only thing that's keeping me from getting the M is lack of view finder.
I just can't get used to the idea of using the back LCD for comp etc. with a camera. :-)

I too find the thought of a camera without a viewfinder somewhat strange, but I'm wondering if that sentiment is something like when automatic transmissions first came out. I think my kids (and millions of others in the i-phone generation) would be perfectly comfortable. It's just a matter of what you get used to.

nickspictures.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 16, 2013 13:14 as a reply to  @ groundloop's post |  #6

I used live view a lot so for me it wasn't an issue

NicksPictures Facebook / (external link) NickToday Blog (external link)
Nick Palomba Photography Business Site (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 16, 2013 14:59 |  #7

I used to think using a camera without a VF was a no go until I rented an EM5 for a weekend. I found that I used the live view 99% of the time and that composing the shot was actually much faster and easier to do. Compose and focus was faster than focus and recompose or using a joystick to select the focus point. The speed that it focused and shot at was near instantaneous.
I only wish Canon could get the AF up to par with touch-to-focus because the APS-C size sensor makes for better creative DOF. Everything else though was better with the EM5 or EPL5 as far as shooting live view or even with an EVF goes.
BTW, you can practically see in the dark with the EVF which makes it easier to shoot in low light.

There is a big price drop on the M now...guess Canon concedes it kinda mucked it up ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 22, 2013 02:58 |  #8

I'm also late to the party insofar as I have just learned (yes, April 2013) that there IS a Canon EOS M.

Now, as I am about to wade through the threads list to find more about that interesting new thing, could somebody who still has some of the relevant threads in their "subscribed threads" folder from posting something there, maybe give a few pointers on threads discussing the camera, as there does not seem to be a sticky.

Amazing - that might really be what I have been waiting for all the time since I swapped my G2 for the 20D. The only thing that holds me back at the moment is the lack of a viewfinder. I simply can't imagine photography without that. (back when I was using all kinds of wide angle or tele adapters on my G2, I still preferred guessing the field of view througo the optical viewfinder to using the rear monitor for framing the shots)

Thank y'all in advance,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,203 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 22, 2013 07:23 |  #9

groundloop wrote in post #15831198 (external link)
I too find the thought of a camera without a viewfinder somewhat strange, but I'm wondering if that sentiment is something like when automatic transmissions first came out. I think my kids (and millions of others in the i-phone generation) would be perfectly comfortable. It's just a matter of what you get used to.

Using rear LCDs for viewing before shooting predates cell phones with cameras... some of us just don't like it for everyday shooting, didn't like it for everyday shooting over a decade ago, still don't now. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 22, 2013 07:30 |  #10

Andy_T wrote in post #15853813 (external link)
Now, as I am about to wade through the threads list to find more about that interesting new thing, could somebody who still has some of the relevant threads in their "subscribed threads" folder from posting something there, maybe give a few pointers on threads discussing the camera, as there does not seem to be a sticky.

Here is the photo thread for the M: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1238507

I picked one up a few weeks ago when Newegg had the sale. I have a Nex 5n that was being repaired (really the wife's camera) but the thought of the N intrigued me since I could use my EF/EF-S lens with it and at that price I decided to give it a try.

My thoughts are that the AF is a bit on the slow side (although not as bad as people would lead you to believe). It is a tad slower then the Nex but it isn't like I have missed a shot because the AF is slow. From what I've read the 22mm lens is a fair amount slower to AF then the kit 18-55 but I can't test that since I only have the 22mm. Of course it cannot compete with any DSLR so don't expect that going in.

What is VERY slow are my non USM type lenses (I have an older Sigma 17-70 and 30mm f/1.4). I don't think there is enough power in the battery to move all the glass in the non USM type lenses and AF does take quite a long time.

The 22mm lens is very good IMO and worlds ahead of the Sony kit lenses I've tried for the Nex.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 22, 2013 18:47 as a reply to  @ palmor's post |  #11

Thanks for the link to the photos thread.

Good to know that it can take good photos.

Now, if somebody could maybe comment on the ergonomics of the camera? I'm shocked to see that there is no dpreview full review out yet, altough the camera has been on the market for quite some time.

Is there an easy way to stick the camera in aperture priority mode, say at f/2.8 and leave it there? Hopefully with "putting the focus on the * button" and selecting the center focus point? RAW mode? I would most likely pair it with my Sigma 10-22, my Sigma 30/1.4 or Canon 50/1.4. When I feel like taking my 80-200/2.8L, the camera will most likely not be the biggest thing to carry, so I can go for my 20D.

That's what I would like to do with it. I do NOT want to play around with pre-defined programs with little icons, face recognition or other newfangled "intelligent" modes, if I can avoid it.

Thank you in advance,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 22, 2013 19:54 |  #12

Andy_T wrote in post #15856292 (external link)
Thanks for the link to the photos thread.

Good to know that it can take good photos.

Now, if somebody could maybe comment on the ergonomics of the camera? I'm shocked to see that there is no dpreview full review out yet, altough the camera has been on the market for quite some time.

Is there an easy way to stick the camera in aperture priority mode, say at f/2.8 and leave it there? Hopefully with "putting the focus on the * button" and selecting the center focus point? RAW mode? I would most likely pair it with my Sigma 10-22, my Sigma 30/1.4 or Canon 50/1.4. When I feel like taking my 80-200/2.8L, the camera will most likely not be the biggest thing to carry, so I can go for my 20D.

That's what I would like to do with it. I do NOT want to play around with pre-defined programs with little icons, face recognition or other newfangled "intelligent" modes, if I can avoid it.

Thank you in advance,
Andy

Yup, you can stick it in AV (or any mode) in a few touches of the screen. I actually like the menu picks better then the Nex. There is no * button on the M so that isn't an option. Focus points are selected by touch the screen and if you go Servo it will track the option you touch on the screen... kind of following it around (Nex does the same thing).

One big think.. are your Sigma lenses newer with HSM focusing (Sigma's version of USM)? If not the AF is VERY slow and borderline unusable IMO. I don't even bother with my non USM type lenses on the camera.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

bejosudewo
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 22, 2013 23:25 |  #13

I test one of CANON M, the autofocus is just 2 slower than other mirrorless cameras like olympus or panasonic, or sony

camera ­ dude
275 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 22, 2013 23:48 as a reply to  @ bejosudewo's post |  #14

I am late to the party too...crappy party...

Go ugly early...

7D | Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 | Sigma EF-S 30 1.4 | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 135 2.0 L | 430EX | TT Speed Demon | Sony RX100

pbrimages
353 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 23, 2013 01:06 |  #15

nickspictures.com wrote in post #15827132 (external link)
...with only 30,000 accusations on it ...

Hmmm, I suppose that all depends, was the camera making all those accusations or taking them on the chin? :D

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

sponsored links

4,473 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.