Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to buy..

davidmtml
848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 23, 2013 11:05 |  #1

I am in the market for a new/used camera. I currently have a 40D and a 350D for a backup. Last year I shot a wedding with these two cameras. This year, I am going to have my girlfriend carry around the 350D, so I want another camera to have as backup (or use my 40D as backup). Basically what I am deciding between is another 40D, a 50D, or a 7D. Used prices are approximately $350 (40D), $450 (50D) $850 (7D). I will most likely be upgrading to FF within the next couple years, so I don't want to buy a new 7D or anything.

Pros of the 40D are that it is the cheapest, and I know everything about it already.

Pros of the 50D are it is still cheap, more MP, better display, not much more expensive, and almost identical controls to my 40D, and at least it will still be something new to me!

Pros of the 7D are numerous, more MP, better AF..but of course it is the most expensive as well, and I feel like prices will plummet when the 7dii comes out.

Money is definitely a factor here. I mostly shoot nature for myself, but have done weddings, senior pictures, engagements, and portraits as well, and am looking to expand my business. Obviously FF is ultimately what I will get, but it may not be for a couple years...I need to upgrade my glass too!

So, if you were in this situation...what would you do?

Thanks!

sponsored links
firefighter4u
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 23, 2013 11:08 |  #2

Depending on your lenses, have you looked at a 5Dc?

7D; 450D; Canon 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II
Please support breast cancer research

davidmtml
THREAD ­ STARTER
848 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 23, 2013 11:22 |  #3

firefighter4u wrote in post #15858474 (external link)
Depending on your lenses, have you looked at a 5Dc?

Hmmm....hadn't thought real seriously about it. I currently have the 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8IS, and sigma 70-300 4-5.6. I also will be renting the 70-200L 2.8IS for the weddings.

Do you think the 5Dc is a big upgrade from the 40D?

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 23, 2013 14:07 |  #4

40d since you already have one. 2 of the same body is always ideal so you don't have to think about where buttons/setting are.
If the 50d is set up the same way as the 40d, then it could be worthwhile, and would be my 2nd choice.
The 7d wouldn't be my choice. Doesn't sound like you actually need a 7d so why spend the money. You could get 2 40d's or 2 50d's for that price.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 23, 2013 15:09 |  #5

5Dc for sure.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 23, 2013 15:17 |  #6

Hard decision. I had a 50D but sold it and went back to a 40D as my backup and second body. Even though the 50D is better at higher ISO's it is not that much better when comparing it to my 5DII. I just prefer the images at low ISO's that the 40D produces. That said in your case I would seriously consider a 5Dc over a 50D.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

545iBMW
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 23, 2013 15:37 |  #7

For what you are going to shoot - 5Dc. If you prefer a crop body, then 7D.

davidmtml
THREAD ­ STARTER
848 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 23, 2013 15:41 |  #8

Thanks everybody, I am pretty sure I will be buying the 5D classic, mostly because I want something "new" haha. I am really looking forward to it!! Also, if I decide to upgrade to a newer FF in a couple years...I feel like the 5dc used prices will probably still be about the same if I decide to sell it.

Jason401
83 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 23, 2013 17:17 |  #9

Another vote for the 5Dc or the 40D. No need for the 7d for what you shoot.

sponsored links

1,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to buy..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.