Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Apr 2013 (Saturday) 10:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

do you care how it works out w/B&G?

Gomar
532 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 06, 2013 10:39 |  #1

Do any wedding photogs really care as to how the marriage worked out that you shot? Anyone keep in touch with B&G, or their friends, or get updates?
Do you really care? Should you? Is it any of your business since your job is done, and what ever happens is not your concern.

What I hear mostly is B&G move out of town after the wedding, dont keep in touch with so-called "friends" from their home town. Some arent even in touch with best man or bridesmaids, nor some relatives. People just dont know what happened later.
About 50% dont even look at their wedding videos or photos.

I've had people tell me they arent friends with that one or this one anymore, so dont want to look at photos of their mug. I think it's the economy; when people become unemployed, homeless, they dont want anyone to know what the real story is.

sponsored links
Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 06, 2013 10:51 |  #2

We tend to build up good relationships with our clients and keep in touch with about 2/3rds.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 06, 2013 10:59 |  #3

Absolutely. Keeping in touch let's you get way more referrals. By keeping that relationship open you're the first photographer they'll think of for all the future portrait needs in their life. We've booked so many weddings just by becoming friends with our past clients.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 06, 2013 11:06 |  #4

Gomar wrote in post #15797046 (external link)
Do any wedding photogs really care as to how the marriage worked out that you shot? Anyone keep in touch with B&G, or their friends, or get updates?
Do you really care? Should you? Is it any of your business since your job is done, and what ever happens is not your concern.

What I hear mostly is B&G move out of town after the wedding, dont keep in touch with so-called "friends" from their home town. Some arent even in touch with best man or bridesmaids, nor some relatives. People just dont know what happened later.
About 50% dont even look at their wedding videos or photos.

I've had people tell me they arent friends with that one or this one anymore, so dont want to look at photos of their mug. I think it's the economy; when people become unemployed, homeless, they dont want anyone to know what the real story is.

I wouldn't blame the economy, it's just a natural progression. We're not in touch with a lot of the people from our wedding. We certainly aren't poor or homeless, we've just gone different ways. Some people never grew up, some moved away (like we did) and some developed personalities that we couldn't tolerate. It's life.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 06, 2013 17:23 |  #5

if you get along well with your client you will naturally keep in touch with them

i saw a video by a wedding photographer, who was able to/teach others on making $ off family portraits/baby pictures from her wedding clients.. selling her wedding clients the concept of yearly family photos.. keeping in touch with someone with the main intention of shifting other people's wealth into your bank account is not something i m willing to do

Gearlist

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 06, 2013 20:55 |  #6

I get along well with my customers on the wedding day but don't stay in touch with many, if any. I'd quite like to stay in touch with some, how do you manage that?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 06, 2013 23:23 |  #7

kenwood33 wrote in post #15798012 (external link)
if you get along well with your client you will naturally keep in touch with them

i saw a video by a wedding photographer, who was able to/teach others on making $ off family portraits/baby pictures from her wedding clients.. selling her wedding clients the concept of yearly family photos.. keeping in touch with someone with the main intention of shifting other people's wealth into your bank account is not something i m willing to do

:rolleyes:
It's called business. It's not some secret technique, lots of industries do it. Ever get an e-mail reminder from your dentist? A holiday card from your real estate agent? An oil change reminder from your repair shop? Keeping in touch with clients is important, and should be taken seriously, unless you run a gas station.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 08, 2013 07:18 |  #8

I don't actively stay in touch. I would if I were a full blown studio and looking to build a baby/portrait/other business, but I'm not. This is just a side gig and I focus almost exclusively on weddings.

That said, I do have a Facebook page and many of my clients stay in touch with me passively.

I like my clients and feel a connection with them. Part of why I do this work is that it's my legacy. My parents have been married for 54 years and when they bring out their album they still remember their photographer. I'd like to think that, long after I'm in a hole in the ground, I'll be that guy. Couples bring out their photos and say remember Bob? He was a good guy and I love the images he produced for us.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 08, 2013 08:43 |  #9

I try to keep in touch via facebook. Admitedly, it is somewhat passive, but I do occasioanlly post to their pages and "like" appropriate posts. My big problem is that although I peruse facebook pretty much daily, I rarley actually post anything making it a little more difficult for others to keep up with me.

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 08, 2013 15:45 |  #10

I care far more about the longevity of their marriage than I do about the money, that's for sure.

The divorce rate in this country is disgraceful.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 08, 2013 18:52 |  #11

I'm not interested in them past the day TBH. Go all out for them and even put it on a bit. Of course in different circumstances you could become friends but I'm usually old enough to be their father and I'm a bit anti-social anyway.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

pickupman92
698 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 09, 2013 09:17 |  #12

mclaren777 wrote in post #15804621 (external link)
I care far more about the longevity of their marriage than I do about the money, that's for sure.

The divorce rate in this country is disgraceful.

But then you get the potential for two more weddings right? Kidding of course.

-Quentin
400D | 50mm 1.8 mkI |17-85 USM IS | Opteka Fish-Eye |Canon 200EG Backpack | SLIK U212 Tripod | Point & Shoot - SD400 | DicaPac Underwater Case for SD400
Southern Exposure Photography (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 09, 2013 13:54 |  #13

I used to tell my brides that I would like to be your photographer for all your weddings. No one but me found that funny.

Wedding photography tends to not be a repeat business.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 22, 2013 21:20 |  #14

i wish i could keep in touch with my couples. always wondered how many are still married...

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 23, 2013 19:42 |  #15

I think it would be ideal if they didn't work out. That way, if both really liked your photography, you now have 2 weddings to do in a few years.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links

2,752 views & 0 likes for this thread
do you care how it works out w/B&G?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.