Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question between 5d2 and 6d

jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 23, 2013 19:41 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

The OP posted this.

"What full frame does everyone suggest and why that one?"

And then later, this:

" I shoot family, kids, weddings and so on. Debating between the 6d or the 5d Mark III."

I gave my opinion saying that i'd go with a 5d2 or 5d3 and wouldnt go with a 6D.

My reasoning was that i would either pay the money for a 5d3, or stick with a 5d2 if you were on a budget. I said that it was more than capable of shooting those things.

he asked me this..

How does the 5dii compare to the 6d as far as low light is considered. Example would be a wedding with no flash and a 70-200 f4 IS lens.

--------
my response was that im not a pro photographer and that this was just my opinion; and that i didnt want to argue.

But for arguments sake, what do you guys think?

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2013 19:43 |  #2

6D. 5DII prices are now too close to the 6D to even consider it IMO.

The 6D is a better camera in virtually every way that matters to your final result; better AF, better sensor, better ISO.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

jjaenagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 23, 2013 19:46 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Sirrith wrote in post #15860164 (external link)

The 6D is a better camera in virtually every way that matters to your final result; better AF, better sensor, better ISO.

hmmm, good to know. I just looked at the prices :)

GEAR & FEEDBACK

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 23, 2013 19:46 |  #4

I used the 6D for a about a week (rented it out for a job) and I found that in terms of IQ it was very close to the 5D2. The high ISO is just barely cleaner than the 5D2, I would say like 1/2 a stop or so...from MY findings anyway.

Now, I was a full on hater of the 6D when it first was released, but after holding it for just 5 secs I was in love. Feels much better in the hand, the button operations feel much better also, I like having everything geared towards 1 hand operation (however, still prefer the joystick of the 5D2 for focus point selection). I love the smaller, and lighter size. Its just barely smaller than the 5D2. I know the top is made of plastic for the wireless components, but unless I knew that before hand, it certainly doesn't feel like plastic.

The way I see it, unless you NEED the Wifi/GPS features, or want a smaller/lighter body, you can't go wrong with either. I did love the Wifi features, but I found that it drained the battery quickly.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 23, 2013 23:12 |  #5

^ That, and because of that my answer is always (currently) "I would buy the 6D if coming from anything other than a 5D2, 5D3, 1Ds3, or 1Dx. Assuming we are talking about moving to FF. If you've already got a 5D2 I really don't see the step to a 6D worth it IMO. If/when my 5D2 dies and needs replacing then I'd buy a 6D."

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 24, 2013 02:24 |  #6

I have a 5D now. I am considering upgrading to the 6D this year. The 5D2 doesn't seem to offer much, and costs more. If I do upgrade it will be for better low-light AF, better high-ISO jpgs, and much better bracketing. Proper MFA for zooms may come in handy, although I've never needed MFA of any kind. A PC-sync socket would be nice on that level of camera, though.

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 24, 2013 02:30 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

6D over the 5D2, unless you can score an (extremely) cheap used 5D2.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

swidjaja
395 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 24, 2013 07:11 |  #8

From my experience, 6d's af is more accurate in good and low light. Its noise might be only 1/2 to 1 stop better than 5d2 but it lacks banding and pattern issues. As an amateur, I dont hesitate to use iso 12.8k or even 25.6 when needed. This was not possible with my former 5d2.

6D + enough lenses for now.

jjaenagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 24, 2013 08:21 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

awesome... Wow, good to know guys!

GEAR & FEEDBACK

nikonfan82
278 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 24, 2013 08:23 |  #10

+1. You should buy 6D. 5D2 is "old" now.

Gear and Feedback

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2013 08:43 as a reply to  @ nikonfan82's post |  #11

I have used a 5DII and a 5DIII. They are both fine cameras. I bought a 6D because I liked the size and its low light capabilities. I have not been disappointed.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 24, 2013 15:56 |  #12

Well, I wouldn't want to be stuck using an f4 lens at a wedding. I'd want at least an f2.8 zoom, if not an even faster prime (or set of primes). I would also be highly inclined to use flash as much as possible, since available light shots can be unattractive, badly shadowed, and fill flash can really improve a shot when used right. Of course, not all venues allow flash and it's not appropriate in some situations.

But for low light shooting of any sort, you have to consider two main things: high ISO performance of the camera and it's ability to focus in low light.

High ISO performance, if you shoot RAW it's a bit of a toss up... 5DII, 6D and 5DIII are close to the same. However, both 6D and 5DIII are settable to higher ISOs than 5DII (two stops or 102400, vs 25600). Only you can say if those higher ISOs are actually usable. They are pretty niosy, but might make possible an otherwise impossible shot, in some extreme situations.

If you shoot JPEGs right out of the camera (i.e. use in-camera conversion, all cameras initially capture in RAW)... then the 6D and 5DIII will be superior. You'll be able to use up to two stops higher than 5DII.

Also, the 6D and 5DIII focus systems are both rated to be able to focus about 2 EV lower light than the 5DII. I've found Canon's rating of the 5DII to be slightly conservative, it will still focus although slowly, about .5 EV lower than claimed (a wee bit lower light than 7D). But, 6D and 5DIII are both better.

6D has 11 point AF system. 5DIII has a superior 61 point AF system. 5DIII has 9 points visible, but 6 more "hidden" assist points, though those only work in AI Servo mode. 6D has one enhanced "dual axis" point, the rest are single axis. The 5DII has same for it's visible points, but two of the hidden assist points are also dual axis (so out of 15 total, that's 12 single axis and three dual axis... but, again, the hidden points are only usable in AI Servo, which isn't the 5DII's forté).

Both 6D and 5DIII use a newer processor, too, which helps support better AF performance... Nou doubt effecting speed, low light capability and accuracy.

Selecting an AF point on 5DII is done with a joystick that's fast to use. The 6D uses an 8-way button arrangement, but it's more easily reached with a grip on the camera, holding it in vertical/portrait orientation. The 5DIII has a joystick, too... and if fitted with a grip also enjoys a second joystick making reaching it during vertical/portrait shots particularly easy.

5DIII has a number of specialized AF modes above and beyond the basic modes of 6D and 5DII.

5DIII also has an active matrix focus screen, that reconfigures itself for different AF setups (and more). Some find this harder to use in low light. Both 6D and 5DII use simpler, unanimated focus screens. The are interchangeable, though, such as to add a grid to help with composition and alignment (the 5DIII has grid on demand built in).

I currently use 5DII, will likely upgrade to 5DIII at some point in the future, but am not in any rush because I also use a couple 7Ds for action shooting (and would almost certainly continue to use one or another crop cameras even with 5DIII). 6D is a viable alternative, but for a few reasons I might opt for 5DIII instead. One is that the 6D uses SD memory and I'd prefer both my cameras to be able to share the same handful of memory cards (7D, 5DII and one of the slots in 5DIII use CF memory). I also don't really need built-in GPS or wi-fi. The joystick (especially the dual joysticks with a grip fitted) and a few other factors will likely cause me to get the 5DIII.

But for now the 5DII still is a top notch and very up-to-date camera in most respects, that does all I need it to do, so I'm keeping my money in my pocket. To me "old" cameras are the vintage film cameras I collect (many of which are still perfectly usable, BTW). I don't even think of my EOS-3s as particularly old. I just don't have very much need to shoot film any more!

All three cameras can serve very well, depending upon individual needs.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

oklaiss
471 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 24, 2013 16:07 |  #13

kawi_200 wrote in post #15860800 (external link)
^ That, and because of that my answer is always (currently) "I would buy the 6D if coming from anything other than a 5D2, 5D3, 1Ds3, or 1Dx. Assuming we are talking about moving to FF. If you've already got a 5D2 I really don't see the step to a 6D worth it IMO. If/when my 5D2 dies and needs replacing then I'd buy a 6D."

This is exactly how I feel. And I think my 5d2 will last me long enough for me to be able to afford a used 5d3.

5D Mark II Gripped, 60D Gripped, 450D, 24-105 f/4L, 85 1.8, 70-200 f/4L IS, Nifty Fifty, 28 1.8, B+W/Lee/Cokin/Hitech filters, 430ex II x2
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,300 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question between 5d2 and 6d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.