Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 09:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kentucky Derby - bans ALL Interchangeable Lens Cameras

wysiwyg59
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2013 09:17 |  #1

Kentucky Derby Bans All Interchangeable Lens Cameras for ‘Security Purposes’
http://petapixel.com …as-for-security-purposes/ (external link)

Can some one tell me why? For security purposes a D-SLR is being banned vs. a P&S

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

sponsored links
HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 24, 2013 09:55 |  #2

My guess is you can hide stuff inside the camera after you twist open the lens.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

dasheight-8
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 24, 2013 09:59 |  #3

I have a coffee cup which looks like a Canon 70-200 f4 lens. It is hollow and could conceal items. I've seen other events ban "large lens" but never all interchangeable lens.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,301 posts
Gallery: 763 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 24, 2013 10:01 |  #4

It is because they don't want the horses to be photoshopped to look like Beyonce.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 24, 2013 10:03 |  #5

Yeah because anything you can hide in there you can't possibly hide in your pocket...

wysiwyg59
THREAD ­ STARTER
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 24, 2013 10:11 |  #6

This is not funny guys. What other organization will ban interchangeable lens cameras??

HS Graduations
College sporting events
Pro sporting events
etc
etc
etc

All because of a bombing in Boston. I did miss the news report stating that these type of cameras played a part of the Boston bombing???

Yes it was a tragedy BUT loosing our 1st Amendment rights is more of a tragedy. The camera industry will be hurt, less sales of entry level SLR's because of all these bans(future) then Canon, Nikon, Sony could see there revenue/profit fall and then less "new upgrades" available because of lost revenue.

This is a snowflake that could end up as a major snowball

Some of you will tell me I'm crazy, stupid, etc. BUT this is a beginning.

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 24, 2013 10:21 |  #7

ironic thing is...the fact that people had cameras is probably what helped them to capture the guys...but i guess there are still iphone cameras...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

magoosmc
980 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 24, 2013 10:21 |  #8

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #15862040 (external link)
This is not funny guys. All because of a bombing in Boston. I did miss the news report stating that these type of cameras played a part of the Boston bombing?

The irony is that within minutes of the bombing the authorities made an appeal to the public requesting that anyone who had a camera at the race forward their photos and footage. The suspects were identified and brought down by photos.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/22055591@N05/a​lbums (external link)

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,738 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 24, 2013 10:21 |  #9

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #15862040 (external link)
This is not funny guys. What other organization will ban interchangeable lens cameras??

HS Graduations
College sporting events
Pro sporting events
etc
etc
etc

All because of a bombing in Boston. I did miss the news report stating that these type of cameras played a part of the Boston bombing???

Yes it was a tragedy BUT loosing our 1st Amendment rights is more of a tragedy. The camera industry will be hurt, less sales of entry level SLR's because of all these bans(future) then Canon, Nikon, Sony could see there revenue/profit fall and then less "new upgrades" available because of lost revenue.

This is a snowflake that could end up as a major snowball

Some of you will tell me I'm crazy, stupid, etc. BUT this is a beginning.

To say the above is a stretch is beyond an understatement. One organization bans interchangeable lens cameras, and all of a sudden we have to watch out for a 'police state' on photography?

How about this.. the Kentucky Derby isn't a multiple hour sports match. The actual race lasts a couple of minutes. Maybe the organizers feel that people with DSLRs can easily distract / get in the way of other people that are there to see the race that basically goes by just about an instant.

This kind of thing already exists in other ways, but I don't see you blasting NBA games for not letting in DSLRs. Most professional sports vary not only by league rules but by venue rules. Fenway Park, for example, allows DSLRs (even now). Granted, they search your bag a bit more thoroughly now, but they're still allowed. The rule basically states that you're allowed to have a camera 'as long as it doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of somebody else' at the game.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 24, 2013 10:33 as a reply to  @ Mistabernie's post |  #10

I didn't realize that bringing a camera to a private sporting event was a Constitutional right. :shock:

MrBernie- Your explanation is far too reasonable :lol:

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

markjtimms
60 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 24, 2013 10:37 |  #11

There is already a post on this in the "General photography talk" section of the forum. Here I have pasted my same thoughts:

The same ban on cameras with certain length lenses was made at The Circuit Of The Americas for the F1 race that happened there last year. There was a large reaction from fans and the ban was overturned within a few days, so fans who also had an interest in photography could enjoy both their hobbies.

As far as I am aware there were no security incidents involving anyone with a camera and a particularly long lens.

Hopefully sense is seen from both sides.

mark j timms: photographer (external link)
@markjtimms (external link)
photographer who shoots to create art pieces of both the motorsport and the automotive industries...

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 24, 2013 10:37 |  #12

I think every concert I've ever been to has banned SLRs; the only thing they were letting in was P&Ss.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

markjtimms
60 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 24, 2013 10:39 |  #13

archer1960 wrote in post #15862130 (external link)
I think every concert I've ever been to has banned SLRs; the only thing they were letting in was P&Ss.

I think people can understand close environment locations such as concerts/stadiums that kind of thing.

An outdoor sport with a lot of space for people is harder to justify.

mark j timms: photographer (external link)
@markjtimms (external link)
photographer who shoots to create art pieces of both the motorsport and the automotive industries...

ctwatkins
529 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 24, 2013 10:50 |  #14

I'm a local and the ban on video and photo equipment for the Derby has been in the news. Lip service was paid to bag searches done during entry taking too long with spectator's photo/video equipment and the ban is to "expedite" entry to the track.

Gear: 5D MKIII * 6D * 35L (1.4) * 135L (2.0) * 24 - 70L (2.8II) * 70 - 200L (2.8ISII) * 200L (2.0IS) * 580 EX * Induro CT213 * PCB AB B800 (X3) * Pocketwizard Plus

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,318 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2013 10:53 |  #15

Foodguy wrote in post #15862109 (external link)
I didn't realize that bringing a camera to a private sporting event was a Constitutional right. :shock:

MrBernie- Your explanation is far too reasonable :lol:

Yep the host that owns the venue can certainly make the rules and I get a feeling this is only going to keep happening more and more. I remember in the early 1980s when most concert venues banned cameras. I think this could have a lot to do with business and less to do with security. I'll bet those professional photographers that shoot the race or the organizations they work for are partially behind this. Like it or not, right or wrong, I believe its going to keep becoming more and more prevalent. And its their venue so its their rules.

sponsored links

8,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kentucky Derby - bans ALL Interchangeable Lens Cameras
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.