Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Apr 2013 (Monday) 19:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long term thoughts on the new Sigma 35 1.4?

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2013 07:02 |  #31

Invertalon wrote in post #15856893 (external link)
I would like to try it again but tried two copies and both had focusing issues in artificial light.... Front focused consistantly by 10MA units indoors... Outdoors, 0 MA all around. It also did the front focused at night outdoors under artificial light which names sense... But it was annoying because I just want to set it and forget it.

I hope they somehow correct this, cause the lens is stunning.

Was that fluorescent light?

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

sponsored links
alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 24, 2013 09:50 |  #32

I had one. Just sent it back today. I was very happy using it outside. Used it yesterday for an inside shoot and the focus was all over the place. Sometimes it would focus when shooting a near object but, not a far one. Go to another room and it would be just the opposite. I really wanted to keep the lens but, not willing to always wonder if it hit focus or not. Others have had no problem. Kinda like Dirty Harry... "you feel lucky today"

My FLickrPage (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2013 09:53 |  #33

Almost any type of indoor lighting.

I also have had literally 3-4 people on here PM me with the same issue and 2-3 over at FM. It is not all that isolated.

Hopefully it is fixed with up to date firmware though.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 24, 2013 12:50 |  #34

alann wrote in post #15861982 (external link)
I had one. Just sent it back today. I was very happy using it outside. Used it yesterday for an inside shoot and the focus was all over the place. Sometimes it would focus when shooting a near object but, not a far one. Go to another room and it would be just the opposite. I really wanted to keep the lens but, not willing to always wonder if it hit focus or not. Others have had no problem. Kinda like Dirty Harry... "you feel lucky today"

Invertalon wrote in post #15861988 (external link)
Almost any type of indoor lighting.

I also have had literally 3-4 people on here PM me with the same issue and 2-3 over at FM. It is not all that isolated.

Hopefully it is fixed with up to date firmware though.

hmmm. I think I'm going to hold off on the Sigma 35 for now. Will take another look at it if the firmware updates are able to fix the various AF issues. AF performance is something that means quite a alot to me, particularly shooting at the apertures that make a fast prime worth buying.

Obviously this is probably affecting only a portion of all owners, but enough people are barking about it to keep me from pulling the trigger.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 24, 2013 17:29 as a reply to  @ mystik610's post |  #35

I regret selling my earlier copy. It was spot on and bites at any aperture and distance. I think I put too much stock on Sigma's supposedly improved QC, hoping I could get another copy with no problem.

So, I tried getting this lens back in my collecition and tested 3 copies. All exhibited inconsistency. First 2 copies needed +10 and -6 in near MFD, the last copy would focus all over the place, meaning its fine with F/1.4 and would be a bit OOF at F/1.8 from 10 feet etc. Its just frustrating, it reminds me of the old Sigmalux.

I'll still grab one of these in the future, perhaps when the price tag is lower and If I have time to go through the process again. I just don't have the patience to buy, test and return right now. :rolleyes:

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2013 17:46 as a reply to  @ Rittrato's post |  #36

Having taken hundreds of shots in order to test this lens under various types of lighting and at different distances, I seemed to be getting inconsistent results as far as MA goes. I was on the fence for a long time about sending it back. I decided to keep it anyway, and couldn't be happier now that I've used it in "real world" conditions. An MA of +8 gives me a good focus every time; indoors and out, bright or dim light. A very sharp and well-built lens.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 24, 2013 19:11 |  #37

mystik610 wrote in post #15862627 (external link)
Obviously this is probably affecting only a portion of all owners, but enough people are barking about it to keep me from pulling the trigger.

Then why on earth did you buy the 5DIII and 50/1.2? ;)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 24, 2013 20:04 |  #38

Sirrith wrote in post #15863899 (external link)
Then why on earth did you buy the 5DIII and 50/1.2? ;)

The 50L has focus issues of its own (focus shift), but at least its a consistent issue inherent in the design of the lens, and something that can be overcome with the right technique. (ie don't focus and recompose, which you typically don't want to do at a large aperture regardless of the lens anyway). With the 50L, I knew what to expect, and was OK with that.

Quality control issues are a whole different animal though. I had the Sigma 50 1.4 for a bit, and it was missing focus sporadically for no reason at all. Did not feel like playing the sigma lottery or going through the hassle of sending the lens back to Sigma if I discovered issues beyond the return period, so I returned it outright.

The sigma 35 is a cheaper alternative to Canon lenses, but its still a lot of money to be paying for something that may or may not work out of the box. Was really hoping that Sigma had worked out its AF issues this time around, but doesn't seem like that's the case. I'm really hoping that the USB dock is a true solution to the problem and will be keeping on eye on it though!

edit: My thoughts are that slowing the AF speed down via the USB dock may be the trick. i.e., the 85L's AF is slow as molasses, but dead accurate.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2013 20:11 |  #39

I don't even think the issues with the shift in light though is a quality issue pre-say, but more of a limitation of reverse engineering to work with all bodies across multiple companies. Something just does not agree with the 5D3 (I think most have had issues with this body and the light shift).

If Sigma can figure this issue out and correct it via firmware, they would be set.

Both copies I had of the Sig 35 were basically identical... 0MA needed outdoors and focused perfectly near to far, sharp across the frame. Indoors, both behaved the same as well (erratic). If they fix that, I would buy one back in a heartbeat...

So I hope they do.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 24, 2013 20:39 |  #40

Invertalon wrote in post #15864063 (external link)
I don't even think the issues with the shift in light though is a quality issue pre-say, but more of a limitation of reverse engineering to work with all bodies across multiple companies. Something just does not agree with the 5D3 (I think most have had issues with this body and the light shift).

This makes me wonder if sigma will ever truly get the AF right. The margin of error for fast primes is extremely small. Maybe tamron had the right idea by staying away from fast primes, and zeiss had the right idea when they ditched AF altogether.

I'm curious to see how sigma primes perform on the 'open source' e-mount sony cameras

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 05, 2013 21:50 |  #41

FYI....ordered one of these the other day. Pretty stoked about it, but will make sure to test it pretty rigorously at first. Thoughts are to run Focal MFA with sunlight and artificial light, test for AF consistency, and test against the 85L as a control.

Anything else I should look out for?

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

BigCarbs
156 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 05, 2013 23:44 |  #42

Got mine last week. Stupid sharp, i got a bit of use out of it yesterday at a wedding and only had a few OOF and it was clear that it was my fault missing the moving subject by a hair. Used it outside, indoors in two locations with two seperate kinds of light and with a flash. I was hesitant at first to order to to reading about qc but i am VERY happy with the lens

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 06, 2013 00:08 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

I think people are simply looking for problem....

My copy requires the initial MA and it's not 100% consistent under testing. But it never fails me under real life shooting.

That's just the nature of any fast prime imho. Body + user error are always gonna be present too.

The 35L that I sold wasn't any better in terms of AF accuracy and consistency.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

stan23
88 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 06, 2013 00:53 |  #44

no problems with mine.

TTHX
142 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 06, 2013 01:40 |  #45

No problems with mine either. Shot a band last night under very dark conditions and it performed wonderfully.

AWC Productions (external link) - Canadian Photography Blog Site
Tony Hoang Photography (external link)

sponsored links

12,918 views & 0 likes for this thread
Long term thoughts on the new Sigma 35 1.4?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.