Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 24, 2013 12:43 |  #1081

tetrode wrote in post #15862134 (external link)
Elv just posted a MONUMENTAL review of the CL-180/AD-180 on his Flashhavoc blog. Extraordinary effort on Elv's part; certainly as thorough a review of a flash device as I've ever seen. Be forewarned, it's LONG but well worth wading through.

Fantastic job, Elv. Thank you.

Very nice job indeed. A lot of work went into putting that review together. Thanks Elv that was very informative and the side by side comparrisons very enlightening.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links
Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 24, 2013 16:12 |  #1082

tetrode wrote in post #15862134 (external link)
Elv just posted a MONUMENTAL review of the CL-180/AD-180 on his Flashhavoc blog. Extraordinary effort on Elv's part; certainly as thorough a review of a flash device as I've ever seen. Be forewarned, it's LONG but well worth wading through.

For once in a very long, l o n g time, we have a proper and professional review of an item of equipment instead of the superficial flim-flam which some folks seem to think constitutes a 'review'. Not merely a rewrite of of a press release or a shaky video of someone opening a box and getting their 'latest toy' from it to play with. Instead, we have something actually worth reading.

As someone who used to do this for the UK trade press, I know just how much work is involved in correlating the information, let alone presenting it in a cogent manner. Yes, there are one or two typos - but they actually add benefit as readers realise that these are the considered views and observations of someone who has actually used the equipment, observed salient points and drawn worthwhile conclusions.

My compliments to Elvis.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 24, 2013 19:59 as a reply to  @ Whortleberry's post |  #1083

How useful would this be:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8262/8677307309_75703cc87d_b.jpg

I think it would be *very* useful. What I'm referring to is the Quantum QF36T 8-foot extension cable seen connected to a CL-180 in the above image. The cable allows the flashtube to be positioned up to 8 feet away from the body of the flash. This can be quite handy. Unfortunately, even though the Quantum plug and socket are compatible with the CL-180 flash body and flashtube the combination does not work. Here's why:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8126/8678412672_799d5689f4_b.jpg

Only two of the four pins on the Quantum cable are wired through to the socket. I disassembled the plug and discovered that the cable is four conductor with only the black and white wires used. The red and green wires are not connected at either the plug or socket end. Further, of the two pins that are wired, only one corresponds to an active pin on the CL-180 flashtube (the trigger wire). Too bad :-(

Is this an accessory Godox should consider offering? I say yes. What do you say?

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 24, 2013 20:47 |  #1084

tetrode wrote in post #15864028 (external link)

I think it would be *very* useful. What I'm referring to is the Quantum QF36T 8-foot extension cable seen connected to a CL-180 in the above image. The cable allows the flashtube to be positioned up to 8 feet away from the body of the flash. This can be quite handy. Unfortunately, even though the Quantum plug and socket are compatible with the CL-180 flash body and flashtube the combination does not work. Here's why:

Only two of the four pins on the Quantum cable are wired through to the socket. I disassembled the plug and discovered that the cable is four conductor with only the black and white wires used. The red and green wires are not connected at either the plug or socket end. Further, of the two pins that are wired, only one corresponds to an active pin on the CL-180 flashtube (the trigger wire). Too bad :-(

Is this an accessory Godox should consider offering? I say yes. What do you say?

An absolute yes from me, would love to see something like this offered. I would feel much better having my CL 180 close to the ground rather than extended high up on a light stand especially when out in the wind which is pretty typical conditions where I live.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2013 22:10 |  #1085

Dave,
That would be a great benefit. Especially since the remote appears to accept modifiers the same way the head does.

Elv,
Great review. Well done.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 24, 2013 22:31 |  #1086

tetrode wrote in post #15864028 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

I too say yes. If this was offered I would definitely want it. Especially if it had easy way to mount on umbrella shaft and still accept reflectors. Think placement in small (19") Westcott Apollo or Softlighters. I hate cable connection on top though. I feel it would be much better if it was on bottom or side going straight down.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 24, 2013 23:56 |  #1087

I wonder how hard it would be to put a cable between the body and head of the CL-180.
With a bit of DIY engineering it should be possible to put a base on the head. Maybe the CL-300 base with 1/4-20 receptacle.
Not the instant adaptation this offers but still a useful optional light.

Or maybe Edward can talk Godox into taking some heads and putting a cable out the back with plug for the CL-180 tube mount with about a 3 meter cable. Having a base with 1/4 20 attachment would complete the package. All the modifiers would fit the extender as well as the flash unit since its the same head.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 25, 2013 00:33 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #1088

It's not something I can see myself being interested in. Add the pack and your looking at a PITA if you ask me. If I want a separate head I would use my hensel pack.

Pack to head = cool

Pack to body to head = too cumbersome / too many wires.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 25, 2013 01:20 as a reply to  @ Gareth O'Neill's post |  #1089

Quantum Telephoto reflector w/ CL 180 test #1

Took these images tonight to check the beam of light thrown by Tele Reflector.

Canon 5D mII w/EF 24-105L @ 24mm manual mode, f/4, 1/125, ISO 800
CL 180 1/1 (full) power, light aimed at overhead door 110 feet from flash
Flash on light stand to camera right, height 6'

1st image w/ Quantum Telephoto Reflector using the flashbulb extender
2nd image w/ Quantum Telephoto Reflector flashbulb only, no extender

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Rand

Gear

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 25, 2013 01:26 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1090

Quantum Telephoto reflector w/ CL 180 test #2

Took these images tonight to check the beam of light thrown by Tele Reflector.

Canon 5D mII w/EF 24-105L @ 24mm manual mode, f/4, 1/125, ISO 800
CL 180 aimed at overhead door 110 feet from flash
Flash on light stand to camera right, height 6'

1st image w/ Cheetah Standard Reflector (no diffusion disc), flash 1/1 (full) power
2nd image w/ Quantum Telephoto Reflector w/ flashbulb extender, flash at 1/4 power

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Rand

Gear

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 25, 2013 06:11 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1091

thanks for these. it's very obvious the extender is required.

did you use the diffusor for the standard reflector shot?

do you have a better beamer? can you do a flashgun w/ beamer vs cl-180 w/ tele reflector comparison? at full power and say 1/4.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 25, 2013 07:41 |  #1092

would love a head/bulb extension kit :)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 25, 2013 20:48 |  #1093

Gareth ONeill wrote in post #15865261 (external link)
=Gareth O'Neill;15865261]thank​s for these. it's very obvious the extender is required.

did you use the diffusor for the standard reflector shot?

do you have a better beamer? can you do a flashgun w/ beamer vs cl-180 w/ tele reflector comparison? at full power and say 1/4.

When the weather straightens up I will do a comparison with a Better Beamer and 580EX II as well as a 600EX-RT at the 200mm zoom. The image, shot at 1/4 power, was to show that the Quantum telephoto reflector is 2+ stops brighter than when using the Cheetah standard reflector with no diffuser disk.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 25, 2013 20:55 |  #1094

agv8or wrote in post #15867769 (external link)
When the weather straightens up I will do a comparison with a Better Beamer and 580EX II as well as a 600EX-RT at the 200mm zoom. The image, shot at 1/4 power, was to show that the Quantum telephoto reflector is 2+ stops brighter than when using the Cheetah standard reflector with no diffuser disk.

Would be fun to see how effective the tele reflector is in H mode with the sun.

Those two stops would be a real benefit.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 25, 2013 21:01 |  #1095

dmward wrote in post #15867788 (external link)
Would be fun to see how effective the tele reflector is in H mode with the sun.

Those two stops would be a real benefit.

Wouldn't tele reflector only light very small part of the subject?

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

sponsored links

1,390,199 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.