Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 03:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

C&C please

phonguyen
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 24, 2013 03:24 |  #1

Hi guys,
I'm aiming for cute and fresh look with this photo. A mate recommended to crop a bit tighter above the head, what you think? Please drop a few comments if you can. Thank you.. Greatly appreciated.

IMAGE: http://khoa.smugmug.com/photos/i-cW6gPs2/0/XL/i-cW6gPs2-XL.jpg

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 24, 2013 04:03 |  #2

Agree too much above her, or in other words her head is nowhere near rule of thirds. What are the dots insects blossom? - I quite like these. Dress is bown out which is a shame - a bit of exposure bracketing might have helped in pp. Face and arms also a bit too bright, losing detail.

In spite of this there is an attractive dreamy quality to this image.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link) www.slitcam.com (free slit-scan utility) (external link)

Foolish
726 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 24, 2013 08:05 |  #3

I love the image itself! As for the crop, yeah. Depending on how much space you have in the original (or is THIS the original?), I'd crop a bit from the left to center her horizontally, and crop down from the top to put her face in the top 1/3 of the frame.

I think if you had a much wider shot (and horizontal), it might be cool to see what it looked like with some extreme framing -- putting her smaller in the bottom center of the frame and let all of that OOF color and light float above her.

Anyway, I think the image is pretty!

I'm on the web here (external link).

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2013 12:44 |  #4

really nice shot! id crop the top 1/4 off and hate to say but clone out those floating white dots. just distracting imho. i like the pp but did u try a cooler look? blues and greens?

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

Guitartists
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 24, 2013 23:39 |  #5

Composition wise...yes, too much above her.... but I feel your dilemma, I think....as that area is so beautiful and I love the colors and light....reminiscent of a painting. It's such a shame to have to cut it :( Maybe photoshop her higher into that area??

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Photography has no rules. It is not a sport. It is the result which counts, no matter how it was achieved." ~ Bill Brandt
Gear: Canon EOS Rebel T3 and some lenses and what-not :p ~~~ See my Artwork & Photography @ http://www.artwanted.c​om/guitartistsexternal link

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 25, 2013 12:17 as a reply to  @ Guitartists's post |  #6

Gorgeous woman, just so so sad about blowing the whites out, it adds a harshness that doesn't fit in the image.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

icacphotography
613 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 25, 2013 13:33 |  #7

As others have said crop tighter on top as there seems to be too much dead space there. Also the dress is blown out. I'm guessing without looking at EXIF that you used either a direct flash with a diffuser or were shooting in harsh rather direct sunlight though I'd guess the later as the entire image seems overexposed and the light coming in from the right on the hair indicates sunlight.

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

sandytrouble
104 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 25, 2013 15:02 |  #8

The picture looks great, but the reddish tint seems a little extra. I personally would tone it down a little bit (specially on the tree behind her)

7D [EFS 17-55, EF 50 1.4, 70-200 IS II]

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 25, 2013 15:06 |  #9

There is too much headroom at the top. The photo is overexposed, lacking in subject detail because of that. There is a haze about the photo. There is a bad purple cast as well. Focus looks fine. I would also recommend not shooting a woman straight on like that.

Gear List

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 25, 2013 18:03 |  #10

Agree with Numenorean - best part of the image is the top 3/4 of the background...which you don't want...and the fact that the model is pretty (does not make the photo good).
I appreciate that you are going for "fresh and cute" but is it really or just the model..in spite of the flat lighting and/or processing.

phonguyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 25, 2013 18:56 |  #11

Thank you all for your input. Appreciated.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 26, 2013 07:59 |  #12

Nice shot. I'd tilt the head a bit.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

rudou
55 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 26, 2013 08:19 |  #13

Nice shot, a bit too much extra room on the top. I kind of like the white floating dots, gives it a summer afternoon in a field type of feeling.

sponsored links

1,456 views & 0 likes for this thread
C&C please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.