Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 17:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buy or Not? Canon 6D for 1000$?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,168 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 26, 2013 05:10 |  #31

Its very easy to see what is up, just give a shipping address for your work, or a neighbor you trust, etc. If the camera arrives and checks out, send payment. Does it come with the box and acc.? If not then you would have to assume it was stolen.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

sponsored links
Jan ­ Jasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 26, 2013 05:41 |  #32

They say it comes with all accessories, box and receipt of proof of purchase.
I got a response at 3AM saying that they will let me know if they still have it when they return.

photojan.ca (external link) | Instagram (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 26, 2013 05:50 |  #33

Jan Jasinski wrote in post #15868804 (external link)
They say it comes with all accessories, box and receipt of proof of purchase.
I got a response at 3AM saying that they will let me know if they still have it when they return.

You must learn when to shake your head and forget a "deal" like this. The scammers are really good at messing with your mind and, most of all, taking your money from you. It's obvious how good they are because of your statements here. FORGET IT and don't give your money to the thieves.

If this was an honest deal (which it obviously is not), it would have been snapped up in the first few minutes of its being available and the seller would not be talking to you now.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Refill
177 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 26, 2013 06:07 |  #34

elitejp wrote in post #15868000 (external link)
Despite everyones hesitations I dont see how this could affect you negatively given you take common sense precautions. If the person is willing to send you the camera and you like it and you then send them the money where are you getting scammed in the deal.
Personally I think threads sometimes get stuck in a rut if the first few posts are of a similar opinion. So everyone one is screaming your getting scammed, they are trying to steal your money even though they wont see a single penny from you until after you receive the camera. Use your work address or a PO box address and have it delivered there. They dont need to know anything about you for this transaction to take place. But if the terms begin to change then you can reassess the situation.

This is the key in these cases. Some alarm bells are ringing, price a bit too low, should be sold already after some days... so! if they change ANYTHING to the script, or ask for some "little" money before shipping, describe how you suddenly lost your job or whatever reason to cancel the deal. If this is a scam, they will probably give you an anonymous account from some money transfer agency (you can try to give it to the police, but they usually don't go after this kind of crooks).

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,168 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 26, 2013 06:23 |  #35

SkipD wrote in post #15868815 (external link)
You must learn when to shake your head and forget a "deal" like this. The scammers are really good at messing with your mind and, most of all, taking your money from you. It's obvious how good they are because of your statements here. FORGET IT and don't give your money to the thieves.

If this was an honest deal (which it obviously is not), it would have been snapped up in the first few minutes of its being available and the seller would not be talking to you now.

I agree, there is about a 1% chance this is a valid deal. However, one cannot be scammed if the seller agrees to send something to be looked over beforehand, and then you send payment, specially considering you can hide your real personal info pretty quickly by using alternative shipping locations, phone numbers, etc...

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,540 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 26, 2013 06:29 |  #36

Checked email headers? Might be some clues as to whether they really are where they say they are

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV
24-105L, 100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
Sig35A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 26, 2013 08:12 |  #37

They emailed you at 3am? Sounds like theyre in a way different time zone, perhaps.... Nigeria? Something tells me there will be a missfortune when they "send" you the package thats going to need you to pay up.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,426 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 26, 2013 08:16 |  #38

Move on, simple.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Refill
177 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 26, 2013 08:41 |  #39

boerewors wrote in post #15869059 (external link)
They emailed you at 3am? Sounds like theyre in a way different time zone, perhaps.... Nigeria? Something tells me there will be a missfortune when they "send" you the package thats going to need you to pay up.

You are probably right about the location of the "seller", this kind of scams mostly originate from this continent! I know this is not politically correct, but that's reality! Mostly email scams, lottery prizes, or "my aunt just died, but I need to open a bank account in another country to inherit her fortune".

I would bet that next they will ask for a small down payment before (not) sending the camera.

To the OP, just do it! just to see what their next move is, but do NOT pay anything before you can see and try the camera! They can not sent a broken camera and hold you accountable.

4100xpb
66 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 26, 2013 10:12 |  #40

Refill wrote in post #15869144 (external link)
You are probably right about the location of the "seller", this kind of scams mostly originate from this continent! I know this is not politically correct, but that's reality! Mostly email scams, lottery prizes, or "my aunt just died, but I need to open a bank account in another country to inherit her fortune".

I would bet that next they will ask for a small down payment before (not) sending the camera.

To the OP, just do it! just to see what their next move is, but do NOT pay anything before you can see and try the camera! They can not sent a broken camera and hold you accountable.

Hey, there's a new scam.

1. Buy, break or steal a non-working expensive camera (6D minimum)
2. Sell as a working camera to someone at a distance (cheap and good terms a la OP)
3. Buyer gets camera, responsds to seller it's a dud and wants to return it
4. Seller freaks out, claims the buyer broke it
5. Intimidate, blackmail, or sue for PROFIT!

I think I'll stick with Nigerian Princes.

Yasick
183 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 26, 2013 11:00 |  #41

4100xpb wrote in post #15869425 (external link)
Hey, there's a new scam.

1. Buy, break or steal a non-working expensive camera (6D minimum)
2. Sell as a working camera to someone at a distance (cheap and good terms a la OP)
3. Buyer gets camera, responsds to seller it's a dud and wants to return it
4. Seller freaks out, claims the buyer broke it
5. Intimidate, blackmail, or sue for PROFIT!

I think I'll stick with Nigerian Princes.

This^.
Very same thing happened here, MacBook pro cheap. Sent first before any payments. What do you know? Wasnt working. What did the seller have to say about that? " You broke it "

How can you test them? Its simple. Arrange a meeting for inspection. If they are more then happy for you to come they its legit, if they start to hesitate ( do this on the phone ) and say things like " Well wait for others to respond to our offer " then youll know.

200km drive is worth 1k 6d

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5Dmk3 || EF 17-40mm f/4L USM || Carl Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 || EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro

Jan ­ Jasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 26, 2013 11:54 |  #42

Thanks for all the responses. I might actually be going to Montreal (the city where seller supposidly is) this weekend and if they say that I can meet then i`ll check it out, i`ll be with a couple of photographers too so they could inspect it too.
I`m more set to let this deal go but if I can see it in reality then who knows, maybe i`ll be lucky, but that`s like a 1% chance..

I haven`t checked the email, i`m not sure how to find out the location of it.

It was a bit odd when I asked what aircraft they flew on (they are a pilot) and they just responded they are a pilot, and apparently she was the first female pilot hired in Canada. I read about her on the interent and it was true, but is it really her writing or someone stealing identity..

outmywindow
670 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 26, 2013 11:54 |  #43

Well even if they are eager to meet in person for the transaction, I would take someone with you. I might just be paranoid, but seriously better safe than sorry. :!:

Just a soul with a camera

Jan ­ Jasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,993 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 26, 2013 12:10 |  #44

Just saw this 300 f/2.8L for 1,100$ which is too cheap, I wonder if it`s the same person selling that (scam). Very suspicious..
http://ottawa.kijiji.c​a …dition-W0QQAdIdZ478567846 (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 26, 2013 12:28 |  #45

Jan Jasinski wrote in post #15869775 (external link)
Thanks for all the responses. I might actually be going to Montreal (the city where seller supposidly is) this weekend and if they say that I can meet then i`ll check it out, i`ll be with a couple of photographers too so they could inspect it too.
I`m more set to let this deal go but if I can see it in reality then who knows, maybe i`ll be lucky, but that`s like a 1% chance..

I haven`t checked the email, i`m not sure how to find out the location of it.

It was a bit odd when I asked what aircraft they flew on (they are a pilot) and they just responded they are a pilot, and apparently she was the first female pilot hired in Canada. I read about her on the interent and it was true, but is it really her writing or someone stealing identity..

Jan Jasinski wrote in post #15869832 (external link)
Just saw this 300 f/2.8L for 1,100$ which is too cheap, I wonder if it`s the same person selling that (scam). Very suspicious..
http://ottawa.kijiji.c​a …dition-W0QQAdIdZ478567846 (external link)

Jan, PLEASE FORGET THIS STUFF. Please be smart, not stupid.

Even if you mnanage to physically get your hands on the camera and hand money to someone for it, you may be very sorry down the road. I would not be surprised at all if the equipment is stolen property. If it is and it's found in your possession by law enforcement, you'll be forced to hand over the equipment and you'll never get your money back. It's even possible that law enforcement is tracking this thread.

If you do meet the "seller", you might also meet his friends who are there to overpower you and steal the money you'd likely be carrying.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links

11,794 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buy or Not? Canon 6D for 1000$?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.