Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 26 Apr 2013 (Friday) 09:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2 week count down to Glacier National Park and Kalispell area :)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 26, 2013 09:44 |  #1

Every day I am finding out more info :) Will be driving from Portland on Thursday and returning home on Monday so its just a quick trip. My wifes daughter wanted to visit some friends that moved to Kalispell a year and a half ago, so she is visiting them while we scout and explore what we can on the west side of the park.

Friday we will be up before the crack of dawn and in Apgar Village to find a place for sunrise over Lake McDonald, after sunrise we plan to drive east around the lake on the Going To The Sun Road stopping at a few roadside pulloffs along the way to Lake McDonald Lodge. Should the road be open past that point we plan to hike into Avalache Lake mid afternoon.

Saturday will be another early morning as we hope to be up in Polebridge area for sunrise, if the road to Bowman Lake is open we will be making a trip back there as well. Morning and early afternoon will be spent tooling around that area just exploring and seeing what kind of images we can capture.

Sunday is still open as its Mothers Day I have not yet planned anything and may just hang around the Kalispell area with daughters friends.

So excited, hoping we get some decent weather as well.

sponsored links
Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 26, 2013 09:49 |  #2

Jon,

I hope you have a great time. I grew up in Montana and Wyoming and have great memories of Glacier Park and the Going to the Sun Highway.

We moved east in 1976 but have been able to return several times both with our sons and without. The west is amazing. We now live in Florida and it has its own charm as well.... but the Rockies are something else.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

rparchen
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 26, 2013 12:04 |  #3

I'm not sure if driving across Logan Pass is on the agenda but my guess is that it will still be closed by then. I've been in July and it was still socked with snow and closed. I love Glacier and my favorite viewpoints are on the Eastside of the park; St. Mary Lake, Logan Pass, and Swift Current Lake. I'm not sure if you're planning to get to the park via Highway 28 but there is a really great barn to shoot along the way as well. I always shoot that on my way.

Rick - Sony A7R (RIP 6D), Samyang 14, Zeiss 21/35/50, Canon 70-200L
Facebook page for updates (external link)
www.parchenphotography​.com (external link)
IG: @ParchenPhotography

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 26, 2013 12:13 |  #4

rparchen wrote in post #15869807 (external link)
I'm not sure if driving across Logan Pass is on the agenda but my guess is that it will still be closed by then. I've been in July and it was still socked with snow and closed. I love Glacier and my favorite viewpoints are on the Eastside of the park; St. Mary Lake, Logan Pass, and Swift Current Lake. I'm not sure if you're planning to get to the park via Highway 28 but there is a really great barn to shoot along the way as well. I always shoot that on my way.

Logan pass is not on the list, not sure we will make it past Lake McDonald Lodge at this point if they dont open the GTTS road. We plan to just hang in the lower part of the west side. Any other info on this barn? Would love to add it to the map I have going of places to shoot. I may not get a chance to stop but would rather mark it and not go then have time and wish I had :)

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 26, 2013 12:19 |  #5

I hope you have a good time and I will be interested to see what you get. I will be going in July the plan is Glacier National Park - Banff - Jasper. This is a first for me in that area so not sure what to expect/see.

J.Litton
Goldmember
1,741 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 26, 2013 12:25 |  #6

Whitefish is a beautiful town just north of Kalispell. Mambo Italiano is a fantastic restaurant there also

7D MK II.17-40L.100-400L.500L
www.jlitton.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/jlitt​on.nature.photography (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 26, 2013 12:25 |  #7

cdiver2 wrote in post #15869866 (external link)
I hope you have a good time and I will be interested to see what you get. I will be going in July the plan is Glacier National Park - Banff - Jasper. This is a first for me in that area so not sure what to expect/see.

You can be sure I will be posting up what I get. Here is a good website I found for chatting about GNP, some real helpfull people www.glacier.nationalpa​rkschat.com (external link)

M3NV
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 26, 2013 14:12 |  #8

Sounds like it is going to be a great trip! I'm planning on head out to MT in August and will be making stops in GNP and YNP.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 26, 2013 14:28 |  #9

I love that Huckleberry restaurant in Columbia Falls. Of course, the last time we were there, it was huckleberry season..... fond memories, indeed.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,260 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 26, 2013 14:47 |  #10

cdiver2 wrote in post #15869866 (external link)

Check out my GNP photos in my Montana gallery and Banff, Jasper photos in the Alberto, Canada gallery.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 26, 2013 15:21 |  #11

Stan,

Very nice galleries. Thanks for the link.

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 27, 2013 08:12 |  #12

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15869882 (external link)
You can be sure I will be posting up what I get. Here is a good website I found for chatting about GNP, some real helpfull people www.glacier.nationalpa​rkschat.com (external link)

Site said Coming soon.

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 27, 2013 08:15 |  #13

sparker1 wrote in post #15870341 (external link)
Check out my GNP photos in my Montana gallery and Banff, Jasper photos in the Alberto, Canada gallery.

Thanks Sparker I am more enthused about the trip now. WOW do you really get that close to the bears?

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 27, 2013 14:07 |  #14

cdiver2 wrote in post #15872318 (external link)
Site said Coming soon.

Ok try this link http://glacier.nationa​lparkschat.com/phpBB3/​index.php (external link)

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 27, 2013 17:03 |  #15

Thanks littleJon that worked.

sponsored links

1,839 views & 0 likes for this thread
2 week count down to Glacier National Park and Kalispell area :)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.