Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 17:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buy or Not? Canon 6D for 1000$?

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 26, 2013 12:46 |  #46

Jan Jasinski wrote in post #15869775 (external link)
Thanks for all the responses. I might actually be going to Montreal (the city where seller supposidly is) this weekend and if they say that I can meet then i`ll check it out, i`ll be with a couple of photographers too so they could inspect it too.
I`m more set to let this deal go but if I can see it in reality then who knows, maybe i`ll be lucky, but that`s like a 1% chance..à..

Check this link from the Montreal Craiglist:
http://montreal.fr.cra​igslist.ca/pho/3765292​881.html (external link)

Someone is advertising that his 6D was stolen. The stolen camera may well be the one you're thinking of buying. If I were you, I'd stay well, well away from this so-called "deal". If the seller is in Montreal and wants to sell a camera, why doesn't he or she advertise it on the Montreal Craiglist or Kijiji instead?

At the very least, if you feel you absolutely must go to look at the camera, please note down the serial number from the Craiglist ad and check it carefully against the camera for sale.

But honestly, you'd be better to stay away.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

sponsored links
modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 26, 2013 12:49 |  #47

Are you sure it's not a typo and they really mean a 60D. If it's real, and I kind of doubt it, then someone must be looking out for you today.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

cheezz
172 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 26, 2013 13:14 |  #48

Nah, it will be floor laminates in the box.

Canon 7D // EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 50mm 1.8 II Nifty Fifty, EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM kit lens, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430EX II
Added: EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6
Added: EF 70-200mm f4L IS
Added: 1.4 II TC

melauer
207 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 26, 2013 13:19 |  #49

4100xpb wrote in post #15869425 (external link)
Hey, there's a new scam.

1. Buy, break or steal a non-working expensive camera (6D minimum)
2. Sell as a working camera to someone at a distance (cheap and good terms a la OP)
3. Buyer gets camera, responsds to seller it's a dud and wants to return it
4. Seller freaks out, claims the buyer broke it
5. Intimidate, blackmail, or sue for PROFIT!

I think I'll stick with Nigerian Princes.

Or... the seller insures the camera. They use a temporary e-mail when communicating. They send the box from and ask for the money to be sent to some random mailbox (maybe a neighbor who is on vacation, or a co-conspirator) so the process is nearly undetectable. That's how they get $1000 from you.

Then they report the camera as stolen when they took a trip to your area (it's right nearby so we decided to visit Ottawa for a day). They search for and find the camera and then the "thief" (e.g. you, the buyer!) using one of those stolen camera finder (external link) sites. They get their insurance money (or the camera back) in addition to your $1000. Even better, you the buyer get arrested!

The best part is you don't know anything about it until the cops come to arrest you. You got your camera which you paid for. It works fine. Nothing wrong as far as you know...

Just because you can't figure out how they're going to screw you over doesn't they won't do it. Are you absolutely certain that you're smarter than them, hmmm?

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Apr 26, 2013 13:28 |  #50

Why are you even still considering this?
This is what these scams feed on .. someone thinking it may be worth it.
You've seen the TV show 'Bait Car' .. same principle, some people think it's worth the chance, and ultimately pay the price.

My Gear List  :p

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 26, 2013 13:28 |  #51

elitejp wrote in post #15868062 (external link)
So explain how is the OP getting scammed by someone sending him a camera without the OP sending any money?

I haven't read through all the comments but one scenario is that the seller will buy the camera at Amazon with a stolen credit card and have it shipped directly to the OP's address. Once he receive the camera, OP wire money to seller. Amazon then will call OP asking for the camera back or to pay with another credit card that is not stolen. Old trick but still work for someone who is not aware of it.

I would not touch this deal. It is obviously 100% scam. Only way I'd buy it is that I can drive to the location and view and pay in person.

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 26, 2013 13:32 |  #52

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15868781 (external link)
Its very easy to see what is up, just give a shipping address for your work, or a neighbor you trust, etc. If the camera arrives and checks out, send payment. Does it come with the box and acc.? If not then you would have to assume it was stolen.

This is what the seller want. They want you to send money after getting the camera. Except the camera come straight from B&H or Amazon with a stolen CC.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,191 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 26, 2013 14:05 |  #53

drive_75 wrote in post #15870108 (external link)
This is what the seller want. They want you to send money after getting the camera. Except the camera come straight from B&H or Amazon with a stolen CC.

So if I am drop-shipped a camera to my house by somebody else, and they paid with a stolen CC, how does that camera get taken back again? Your scenario doesn't make sense, and also, once you receive the item, if it was drop-shipped from an online retailer, wouldn't you know immediately it was new and not used as in the description? Also, what stops you from just delaying payment to the seller by a few days?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

melauer
207 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 26, 2013 14:09 |  #54

drive_75 wrote in post #15870108 (external link)

More likely they have it shipped overnight to a neighbor who is on vacation, grab the box, and then send it to you (probably re-using that neighbor's address for receiving the money). The B&H return address on the box might be a hint that something is wrong. ;)

The point is, the camera is probably fraudulently obtained/stolen/whatev​er and they want to trade it for the least traceable form of cash they can get.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 26, 2013 14:17 |  #55

the idea that a stolen CC could have ordered something from an online store and sent to wherever seems like a possibility... might take days/weeks for the owner of the CC to notice this, but I suspect eventually the trail will lead back to you, and even though you may not have done anything wrong, the stolen goods will be collected, and you'll be out all that $$...
if you have sold the item(s) by the time things make their way to you, the authorities might have a harder time believing you are an innocent party to all this...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,191 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 26, 2013 14:17 |  #56

Sounds like alot of people are making some crazy assumptions around how this could all go down, but from what I can tell from the OP, there are pictures of the product, you can compare when you get the camera, and then decide if you are going to send money after a slight delay, or just send the camera back after they pay the shipping charges. You are not getting a brand new camera that was drop-shipped from an online retailer, purchased with a stolen card, etc.

Sometimes there are indeed good deals. This deal isn't that far fetched. 6Ds sold for $1600 new, so this is about a 40% reduction in price.

I had a very similar deal with a 1D4 over 2 years ago, I paid nearly $1000 off the going price of a used one from a very nice gentleman in Florida, who had no feedback on FM. He is still an active member and now has quite a bit of positive feedback. In fact over 2 years later, the current prices on the used market are very close to what I paid for it then.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,191 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 26, 2013 14:18 |  #57

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15870258 (external link)
the idea that a stolen CC could have ordered something from an online store and sent to wherever seems like a possibility... might take days/weeks for the owner of the CC to notice this, but I suspect eventually the trail will lead back to you, and even though you may not have done anything wrong, the stolen goods will be collected, and you'll be out all that $$...
if you have sold the item(s) by the time things make their way to you, the authorities might have a harder time believing you are an innocent party to all this...

The goods won't be collected, it is less hassle for Amazon or other retailers to write the costs off through their insurance. In any case, this isn't not a possibility in this scenario.

Jan ­ Jasinski
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,002 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 26, 2013 16:34 |  #58

Thanks for all the feedback!
I won't go for this even if I can meet with the seller, it's just too much of a risk.

photojan.ca (external link) | Instagram (external link)

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 26, 2013 17:04 |  #59

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15870205 (external link)
So if I am drop-shipped a camera to my house by somebody else, and they paid with a stolen CC, how does that camera get taken back again? Your scenario doesn't make sense, and also, once you receive the item, if it was drop-shipped from an online retailer, wouldn't you know immediately it was new and not used as in the description? Also, what stops you from just delaying payment to the seller by a few days?

The seller have your name, address, phone number. He placed an order through Amazon in your name using a stolen credit card. You get the item and if you are not aware, you just think that you got a new item for half the price. You checked it out and think, you got the camera and nothing to lose. The seller then will contact you on the day the item arrive and ask you to wire the money to him now that you physically have the camera. You wire him the money and a few days later when the stolen credit card gets reported, Amazon will contact you that the item, you just bought was with a stolen credit card. They will tell you that you can use a valid credit card to pay for it or send the camera back.

This is an old trick that work very well years back with scammers.

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 26, 2013 17:07 |  #60

TeamSpeed wrote in post #15870266 (external link)
The goods won't be collected, it is less hassle for Amazon or other retailers to write the costs off through their insurance. In any case, this isn't not a possibility in this scenario.

Why do you assume that Amazon won't collect the goods that is over $1000? This is the same scam few years ago and Amazon did collect. People that bought the good were out of product or pay retails again.

sponsored links

12,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buy or Not? Canon 6D for 1000$?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.