Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Apr 2013 (Friday) 10:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

QBox Quality Issue

g-money
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 26, 2013 10:48 |  #1

I bought a QBox 24" at the tail end of Nov back in 2010. I used it maybe twice before I became very ill in Jan of 2011 and was not able to resume shooting again till around Oct of 2011 where I might have used this box on two to three shoots. In 2012 I would guess that it has been out on shoots maybe 25 - 30 times making the total use for the box less than 50 times so far. I like to mount this box on painter pole using a Kasey adapter to take with me on engagements and senior shoots.

What has happened is it looks like the fabric has pull loose from the frame stitching on three of the four sides where the box attaches to the mount. When this happens there is not enough tension to hold the box to the ring mount so the box flops around and falls off if tilted. Has anyone else experienced any issues with their box coming apart after a year or two of shooting?

I love this box, but at this rate I will have to be changing one out every year to year and half of shooting. Not sure if I should stay with the QBox or look for another portable box similar that might be more durable.

Thanks, Greg

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

sponsored links
Buchinger
467 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 27, 2013 10:20 |  #2

I just watched the Qbox video yesterday and the presenter stated they had changed the mount system to a round one with a grommet to prevent fabric wear. Is this what happened to you? Perhaps the new ones will perform better?

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 27, 2013 15:12 |  #3

That sucks. I have 2 Neewer 20" softboxes that I've used for almost 2 years now and both indoor and outdoor that still have no trouble holding onto the speedlight ring. The grids I got with them where pretty junky (just held together by the slits cut in them) so a spot of superglue on the slits improved them a lot and will increase the life by years for sure. The little ballheads they come with still work, but I swapped them out for some cheap standard brackets I had laying aound for extra stability.

Got them off ebay and didn't expect much since they were so cheap, but so far they have been troopers so it sucks to hear the expensive ones wear down so quickly :(

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

phatrick
181 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 27, 2013 21:49 |  #4

I have two q boxes and I went to homedepot the day I picked them up and put foam adhesive around the ring. It doesn't stay all the time but it stopped the ring from cutting up the lining.

5D Mark II | Tokina 10-17mm | 24-70L | 35Σ | 50L | 85L | 135L

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 27, 2013 21:55 |  #5

Contact them. Edward is a SUPER nice guy and really takes pride in his products. When I contacted him about my issue he took care of me 100%, in fact after emailing him I got a phone call from him within an hour. Granted, that was within 30 days, not sure how this will work after having it for so long.

It could be that yours was just kind of a dud, but I would not think that is how they all are. Mine has lasted me a long time so far, and if it ever does go out, Edward is the first person I will be purchasing my new softbox from :D

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

AtSea
197 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 27, 2013 21:58 |  #6

Edward, very nice man. Great customer support from cheetahstand. Just ordered one and have yet to try it out, but will look out for this issue.

danielmedini.com (external link)
http://facebook.com/da​nielmediniphoto (external link)
5D III + 16-35 F4 + 24-70 II + 70-200 F4

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 28, 2013 01:39 as a reply to  @ AtSea's post |  #7

When I had my Ezybox style softboxes I would just fold them up as a flat triangle, instead of twisting them into a small circle all the time.

I don't know if that would help your issue at all, I could just see that folding them up all the time was likely to put more stress on the stitching etc.

They are all going to be consumable to some degree though.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 28, 2013 02:37 |  #8

elv wrote in post #15874627 (external link)
When I had my Ezybox style softboxes I would just fold them up as a flat triangle, instead of twisting them into a small circle all the time.

I don't know if that would help your issue at all, I could just see that folding them up all the time was likely to put more stress on the stitching etc.

They are all going to be consumable to some degree though.

Likewise - I thought it was just me being idle but apparently not. Mine already has the rubberised edge to the 'lollipop' to prevent scuffing. As Elv says though, you've got to regard these things as not being forever. Heck, even WE aren't forever and I'm certainly wearing out (too darned fast!) but your box's short life span is troubling.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,289 posts
Gallery: 227 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 28, 2013 10:02 |  #9

Contact Edward first. He IS a super nice guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he stands by his product even after all those years.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 28, 2013 23:51 |  #10

elv wrote in post #15874627 (external link)

I don't know if that would help your issue at all, I could just see that folding them up all the time was likely to put more stress on the stitching etc

Good point to mention. I have "circled" mine up probably only 2 time in the year plus I've had mine so that could affect longevity.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

g-money
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 29, 2013 10:08 |  #11

Thanks all, Yes I know Edward is a great guy (with great products!)in fact the mount that came with this one had a hairline crack in the plastic upon arrival and would show up when you tightened it down to the pole adapter. I emailed him a couple pics and he had me a new one right away.

I know these things will wear out and don't expect them to last forever, but also know that mine while gets a fair amount of use it is not an exceptional amount. I never twist mine back up into the small bag either, I just fold it in half and set is aside till I need it again.

I do like the idea of putting something around the edge of the speed ring to prevent this from happening again should I purchase another one. I was even considering a piece of 1/4'" plastic tubing if I could find a way to split it where it would slide over the edge of the mount.

Thanks for the suggestions I will send Edward an email, but I am not pressing to much as in fairness it has been a while time wise since purchased. So would understand if there was nothing he could do.

Greg

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 29, 2013 12:14 |  #12

I agree that Edward is the best in customer service. The ball head on the lollipop cracked and he sent me one ASAP.

As for quality/durability, mine has seen a lot of use in the last 2 years with no issues of it falling off the lollipop bracket. Mine did come with a rubber gasket around the ring.

g-money
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 29, 2013 13:26 |  #13

UPDATE>>> I emailed Edward and I had a voice mail and a text reply to get in touch with him within maybe 2 whole minutes. He actually told me he remembered me from the other time we spoke and inquired as to how my health was now. That floored me right there people as we have only spoke once two and half years ago. Anyway he said he thinks I got a defective one as mine does not have the rubber piece. He is sending me out another one out ASAP and only asked if I would mail him mine back so he can examine it for quality control issues in future models. That is customer service at it's finest!

Greg

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,289 posts
Gallery: 227 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 29, 2013 14:41 |  #14

g-money wrote in post #15879441 (external link)
UPDATE>>> I emailed Edward and I had a voice mail and a text reply to get in touch with him within maybe 2 whole minutes. He actually told me he remembered me from the other time we spoke and inquired as to how my health was now. That floored me right there people as we have only spoke once two and half years ago. Anyway he said he thinks I got a defective one as mine does not have the rubber piece. He is sending me out another one out ASAP and only asked if I would mail him mine back so he can examine it for quality control issues in future models. That is customer service at it's finest!

Greg

Told ya! :)

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

toolman21
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 29, 2013 14:57 |  #15

g-money wrote in post #15879441 (external link)

Greg

That is amazing...sounds like a great company/guy to deal with.

Toolman21 - Canon 60d & T1i (sold) - Canon 17-55 | Canon 17-85 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 55-250
My Flicker (external link) | Like me on Facebook to follow my He-Man 365 nonsense (external link)| www.heman365.com (external link)https://www.facebook.c​om …n-Digital/34796106523515​2 (external link)

sponsored links

1,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
QBox Quality Issue
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.