Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Apr 2013 (Friday) 00:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

External Hard Drive/Backing UP

goaliejake22
998 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 26, 2013 00:28 |  #1

Hey everyone-

I was hoping this could be clarified for me-

I just 'cleaned' up my internal hard drive because all my raw file pictures were filling up the memory- so now I've moved them to my external hard drive, and only kept the most recent photo raw's on my computer.

My question is- when I plug the hard drive in to back up again- will it back up and take off everything that isn't on my computer now from the external hard drive? Or does it only 'add' to the external hard drive?

Just to clarify- I have RAW files on my external hard drive that are no longer on my computer- when I back up my computer again, is the external going to get rid of everything that's not on my computer now? Because I still want those old files on the external hard drive.

Sorry if this is a dumb question- I'm new to this whole 'backing up' thing.

Thanks in advance!

Canon 5D3, Sigma 35 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 430 exii, yn- 560 ii, triggers

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,504 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 26, 2013 00:59 |  #2

What software are you using to back up?

How would you feel if those raw files that only exist on the external drive were to go away?

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 26, 2013 04:08 |  #3

An extra hard drive is just a hard drive. Unless software tells it to it won't back anything up.

All hard drives fail. I just had one start to fail. Anything that's important to you should be backed up to another hard drive and stored offsite.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 26, 2013 11:18 |  #4

You can try THIS (external link) free product from microsoft, sync toy. It will back up your files and will sync two back up hard drives so they have the same files.

Gear
Website (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 26, 2013 11:53 |  #5

goaliejake22 wrote in post #15868375 (external link)
My question is- when I plug the hard drive in to back up again- will it back up and take off everything that isn't on my computer now from the external hard drive? Or does it only 'add' to the external hard drive?

Only you can answer that question. My answer is yes if you tell it to overwrite the data and no if you tell it not to. Btw, you don't have a backup of the raw files in the external HD so prepare to lose your raw files when your external HD stops working.

goaliejake22
THREAD ­ STARTER
998 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 26, 2013 13:31 |  #6

Thanks everyone for the answers so far.

I use apple stuff, so it's using time machine- which is kinda confusing becuase it 'auto backs up'.

But I do realize the possibilities of losing stuff from the external hard drive. I'm keeping the important things I really need on my computer as well as the hard drive.

Still trying to understand if it will 'overwrite'/erase everything on a new backup...

Thanks!

Canon 5D3, Sigma 35 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 430 exii, yn- 560 ii, triggers

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 26, 2013 14:21 |  #7

Overwrite or add to depends on the software you're using.

Based on what you've said I really think you should get someone good with computers to set this up for you. As it is you run the risk of not having good backups, deleting part of them, etc.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Pumba
193 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 27, 2013 16:45 |  #8

Superduper is a good automatic backup program, it will automatically backup new items when the hd is connected.

6d, 70d, 70-300L, [COLOR="Black"]100L Macro, 40mm 2.8 STM, 580exii, 430ex and still NO idea

Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 27, 2013 17:06 |  #9

I think that I have a similar backup setup to yours. I have an SSD internal drive, so I keep my RAWs on an external drive. I also keep Time Machine backups of my machine on that external drive. It's a RAID setup connected through Thunderbolt, so the backup process is fast and out of the way.

If you haven't played with the Time Machine settings, then it should back up deltas every hour so long as the drive is connected (the internal drive is indexed against the curent backups and only changes are written). Backups are retained on the drive per hour for the past day, then with decreasing frequency as you go back in time, which is really a lifesaver when you do something stupid with a document.

Now, the Time Machine backups are kept in [External Drive]/Backups.backupd​b/. I keep my photos in a separate folder (and I presume that you do too) on the external drive. Time Machine backups occur independently of that folder, so your photos will not be affected by the backup process.

Gear
flickr (external link)

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 28, 2013 07:27 as a reply to  @ Albert Nam's post |  #10

I always had the idea that Time Machine was meant for a system backup and not a data backup? My media files are stored separately outside of TM on another external drive.

If you delete a file off your internal HD the file will eventually be deleted off TM when the external HD becomes full and starts overwriting previous old backups

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

sponsored links

1,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
External Hard Drive/Backing UP
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.