Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 20:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just ordered my DCI Phantom -- Suggestions on how to make some money with it?

mattograph
THREAD ­ STARTER
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2013 22:42 |  #16

Heath wrote in post #15874317 (external link)
Ahh, then what fun is that.

sort of like shooting film. You are mostly stuck with the decisions you make.

This space for rent.

sponsored links
judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 28, 2013 12:43 |  #17

mattograph wrote in post #15873918 (external link)
If you'll notice the "Since I started this thread, I have learned a few things...." Hence the inconsistencies, or as I prefer to see it -- permission to change my mind.

Since I can't change the name of the thread, guess I'm stuck. And since the abject failure of my pole dancing career, I am running out of quick buck opportunities.

In the meantime, you should try one out before you judge. I promise you a cell phone in the hands of a driver is far more dangerous than this.

BTW, you never made a cell phone call while driving, have you? ;)

No, I never make or take cell phone calls while driving. Never, ever. Not even on a bluetooth device. The phone stays in my bag when I'm driving. But yeah, people driving while on cell phones is another good example of how people thoughtlessly risk other people's lives.

mattograph
THREAD ­ STARTER
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 28, 2013 15:42 |  #18

Heath wrote in post #15874317 (external link)
Ahh, then what fun is that.

judyg wrote in post #15875795 (external link)
No, I never make or take cell phone calls while driving. Never, ever. Not even on a bluetooth device. The phone stays in my bag when I'm driving. But yeah, people driving while on cell phones is another good example of how people thoughtlessly risk other people's lives.

Well, its quite the leap you've made there, but you're certainly entitled to your viewpoint.

This space for rent.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 28, 2013 17:25 |  #19

mattograph wrote in post #15876287 (external link)
Well, its quite the leap you've made there, but you're certainly entitled to your viewpoint.

It's not such a leap, there's plenty of evidence in the selective attention literature to indicate that some individuals have difficulty in performing two concurrently running cognitive tasks well. More than one European country has banned using mobile phones while driving.

~Peter

mattograph
THREAD ­ STARTER
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 28, 2013 18:44 |  #20

peter_n wrote in post #15876554 (external link)
It's not such a leap, there's plenty of evidence in the selective attention literature to indicate that some individuals have difficulty in performing two concurrently running cognitive tasks well. More than one European country has banned using mobile phones while driving.

Leap -- Operating rc aircraft = endangering lives

This space for rent.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,460 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 28, 2013 22:00 |  #21

Ah, I connected your reply with the quote directly above it. :confused:

~Peter

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2013 22:24 |  #22

mattograph wrote in post #15876810 (external link)
Leap -- Operating rc aircraft = endangering lives

Umm...in your other thread you admit to losing it. What if GPS didn't save it? What if it crashed on the freeway with people driving 65 mph? That may be a stretch, but it's certainly possible.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

judyg
170 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 28, 2013 23:20 |  #23

Or it could hit a child in the eye.

Post #4 on this thread makes reference to someone receiving 75 stitches as a result of not properly using one of these.

Just take some time to learn to use it.

ghost68
163 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 29, 2013 02:04 |  #24

Just throwing this out there from someone who was very much involved in RC just a year ago... please, Please, PLEASE! Join AMA if only for the liability insurance they offer to their members... Its a small price to pay but runaways can and do happen and people can get hurt. I was never into the aircraft side of things (blades spinning at speed always scared the crap out of me) but I was sponsored to run race RC Buggies but the technology behind them is exactly the same... I have quite a few friends that are big into RC Heli's as well and when things can accelerate out of control pretty quickly with even the slightest malfunction (user error or more commonly electrical malfunction). GPS doesn't do any good if an ESC or Motor burns up...

Just imagine how terrible you would feel if an accident hurt someone and you didn't have the ability to cover their injuries??? AMA offers $25k in medical benefits and $2.5mil of liability insurance for like $60/yr its a no brainer...

Smugmug (external link)

mattograph
THREAD ­ STARTER
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 29, 2013 07:41 |  #25

ghost68 wrote in post #15877919 (external link)
Just throwing this out there from someone who was very much involved in RC just a year ago... please, Please, PLEASE! Join AMA if only for the liability insurance they offer to their members... Its a small price to pay but runaways can and do happen and people can get hurt. I was never into the aircraft side of things (blades spinning at speed always scared the crap out of me) but I was sponsored to run race RC Buggies but the technology behind them is exactly the same... I have quite a few friends that are big into RC Heli's as well and when things can accelerate out of control pretty quickly with even the slightest malfunction (user error or more commonly electrical malfunction). GPS doesn't do any good if an ESC or Motor burns up...

Just imagine how terrible you would feel if an accident hurt someone and you didn't have the ability to cover their injuries??? AMA offers $25k in medical benefits and $2.5mil of liability insurance for like $60/yr its a no brainer...

Point will made and taken. I will look into that.

This space for rent.

Apanther
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 02, 2013 12:56 |  #26

I have been into Nitro RC cars, trucks, and truggies for 30 years (Electric too). There will, without a doubt, be runaways/flyaways with any RC vehicle. I know some drones have a hover command when signal is lost or other malfunction, but the danger is still there. I would be more worried about the property damage than hurting people, unless you are flying in a crowded space. But, like the other posters said, be prepared for the worst. Learning to fly well will not happen overnight.

BTW, drones are a huge new concern for law enforcement and prison officials. Drugs and cell phones are being flown and dropped onto prison grounds undetected. So I expect that because of terrorism threats and criminal use, including stalking, the laws will quickly tighten on these.

mattograph
THREAD ­ STARTER
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 02, 2013 22:30 |  #27

Apanther wrote in post #15890760 (external link)
I have been into Nitro RC cars, trucks, and truggies for 30 years (Electric too). There will, without a doubt, be runaways/flyaways with any RC vehicle. I know some drones have a hover command when signal is lost or other malfunction, but the danger is still there. I would be more worried about the property damage than hurting people, unless you are flying in a crowded space. But, like the other posters said, be prepared for the worst. Learning to fly well will not happen overnight.

BTW, drones are a huge new concern for law enforcement and prison officials. Drugs and cell phones are being flown and dropped onto prison grounds undetected. So I expect that because of terrorism threats and criminal use, including stalking, the laws will quickly tighten on these.

I think you are right. We flew today, went to an empty public field. Set up some boundries, kept it under 50 ft, and had a ball.

The problem with this thing is that its so easy to fly, its easy to get into trouble.

I've done a 180 since I started this thread, for sure. This thing is a ball, but its almost like a gun. Respect it always and assume its loaded.

To your point about regulation -- I wouldn't spend a few thousand bucks on one of these anytime soon, at least until the government figures out what they are going to do. Might wind up with the worlds coolest paperweight.

This space for rent.

mainbyte
332 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2011

May 03, 2013 06:01 as a reply to  @ mattograph's post |  #28

Here is a recent article from Channel 6 in Indianapolis about "Drones for Hire"

RTV6 Drones for Hire (external link)

Ron

Canon 6D | Canon 7DII | 17-40 f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 70-300 4/5.6L |100mm f/2.8L macro | 50mm 1.4 | 580exII | 2 - 430exII |

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 03, 2013 08:04 |  #29

This isn't going to help.
http://petapixel.com …the-arms-of-lady-justice/ (external link)

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

mattograph
THREAD ­ STARTER
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 03, 2013 11:30 |  #30

Yep, thats a phantom. No mention in the article that what the guy was doing was illegal.

And plain nuts. That will be how someone gets hurt.

This space for rent.

sponsored links

5,782 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just ordered my DCI Phantom -- Suggestions on how to make some money with it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.