Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 28, 2013 21:14 |  #1141

tetrode wrote in post #15876997 (external link)
Whenever I see one of Rand's posts, this image ALWAYS pops into my head:

In my younger days there were a few accusations by the locals along these lines but I plead the 5th. I am older and wiser now or at least I hope I am wiser.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2013 21:54 |  #1142

tetrode wrote in post #15876997 (external link)
Whenever I see one of Rand's posts, this image ALWAYS pops into my head:

QUOTED IMAGE

I presume you think of him as being in the cockpit. :-)

I also, noticed in the avitar and one of the "model"pix, that the aggi has a PT-6.

I still chuckle when I think about what the PW tech rep told me about how to warm up the prop shaft collar if it was cold and the prop would not free wheel. " hold one of the blades at the end, have the other pilot start the engine and let the oil temp come up a bit. Then let go ov the blade and step back quickly. (EMPHASIS on quickly.)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

tetrode
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 28, 2013 21:56 |  #1143

dmward wrote in post #15877313 (external link)

Correct. I see him as the dustor; not the dustee ;)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,342 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2013 22:04 |  #1144

My wife bought this book at a yard sale, it's the fascinating story of two teenage brothers that flew a Piper Cub coast to coast in the 1960's. One night they flew into a rural landing field in the Midwest that was used by a bunch of rough and tumble crop dusters. Anyway, a book well worth reading.

http://www.amazon.com …Rinker-Buck/dp/0786883154 (external link)

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 28, 2013 23:02 |  #1145

dmward wrote in post #15877313 (external link)

I also, noticed in the avitar and one of the "model"pix, that the aggi has a PT-6.

I still chuckle when I think about what the PW tech rep told me about how to warm up the prop shaft collar if it was cold and the prop would not free wheel. " hold one of the blades at the end, have the other pilot start the engine and let the oil temp come up a bit. Then let go ov the blade and step back quickly. (EMPHASIS on quickly.)

Sorry David but no PT-6's here at least not in any of my photos but we do have one in our fleet at another location. The one in the Avitar is a TPE331-10 on an Ayres 510 Thrush ( https://photography-on-the.net …?p=13039131&pos​tcount=177 ) and the one in the background, of the picture with my lovely model Miss Kitty, is a Walter M601 E-11S on an Air Tractor 401W. In your defense though the Walter is a Czech made engine which closely resembles a PT-6.

Rand

Gear

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 28, 2013 23:40 |  #1146

elv wrote in post #15875727 (external link)
Guys Edward is getting enquires now regarding which radio triggers will work with Nikon and the 5DIII etc in HSS (H-mode) ...

If anyone has any of these pre-sync / Hypersync / HSS enabled triggers listed though, or any others to try in H-mode, could you please let us know how they go so that we can try and compilate a list of which triggers are working reasonably well.

NIKON -

So far the Pixel Kings for Nikon are confirmed working

Other triggers that are highly likely compatible, but are yet to be confirmed -
- Phottix Odin (new firmware due soon should make these ideal)
- YN-622N for Nikon - Coming soon - (but worth waiting for if you're after a good inexpensive option)

Quite Possible - but also need to be confirmed
- PocketWizard TT1 or TT5 with any PocketWizard receiver

I have both PocketWizards and Nikon D700 to try with. If I can be given exact testing procedure (I vaguely recollect this might have been discussed before but I would have to go back to find exact posts) I will test.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 28, 2013 23:48 |  #1147

agv8or wrote in post #15877551 (external link)
Sorry David but no PT-6's here at least not in any of my photos but we do have one in our fleet at another location. The one in the Avitar is a TPE331-10 on an Ayres 510 Thrush ( https://photography-on-the.net …?p=13039131&pos​tcount=177 ) and the one in the background, of the picture with my lovely model Miss Kitty, is a Walter M601 E-11S on an Air Tractor 401W. In your defense though the Walter is a Czech made engine which closely resembles a PT-6.

I've been away from aviation for more than 30 years so my observation skills have fogged.

It I remember correctly the 331 is a variant of the engine we had in our Bell 206s. We used those for spraying. Along with some 47s. I have the honor of flying backwards in a 47 while the pilot was testing the flight controls after we did some repairs while he was on a spraying job. Company policy was that the lead mechanic doing work on flight controls would accept an offer from the acceptance test pilot to accompany him on the check ride.

It did help us pay attention. :-) And I got to go along on some exciting rides. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 29, 2013 06:20 |  #1148

ZoranC wrote in post #15877633 (external link)
I have both PocketWizards and Nikon D700 to try with. If I can be given exact testing procedure (I vaguely recollect this might have been discussed before but I would have to go back to find exact posts) I will test.

Grerat thanks Zoran. I've messaged Chris Valites from PW to see if we can get a step by step run down.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

gomab1914
98 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 29, 2013 13:06 |  #1149

So I finally have the funds to purchase the CL-180 but have a few questions.. Has it been confirmed that the CellsII CheetahSync will work with the 6D? I thinking about purchasing the 19in softbox with grid but was wondering if i would need something bigger to grid my wedding couple? If so, any suggestions as to what would work? Do you also think the 180 would be enough power to light a couple using hss at 8000?

http://www.prioritypor​traits.com (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,342 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 29, 2013 13:10 |  #1150

Gridded 19" modifier for a couple? How much coverage are you expecting?

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

gomab1914
98 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 29, 2013 13:42 |  #1151

I want to be able to light their whole body with the ambient kinda dark if that makes sense..

jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 29, 2013 14:40 |  #1152

gomab1914 wrote in post #15879503 (external link)
I want to be able to light their whole body with the ambient kinda dark if that makes sense..

If you want soft light, you're going to need a bigger modifier. I like the 43" umbrella style soft box for ease of use. For bridal portraits I use the 50" square softbox. However a 30" umbrella will probably do the trick. If you don't care about softness in your lights, the bare reflector will work fine. Just move the light farther away.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Gareth ­ O'Neill
42 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 29, 2013 14:41 |  #1153

gomab1914 wrote in post #15879503 (external link)

it would have to be pretty far away (think across a big room), and because of the grid even this might not do it.

kidsphotos.co.nz (external link)

gomab1914
98 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 29, 2013 14:52 |  #1154

This one? https://www.cheetahsta​nd.com/product-p/43umbsb.htm (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 29, 2013 15:44 |  #1155

Yes. I use mine all the time.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,390,192 views & 273 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.