Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 29 Apr 2013 (Monday) 09:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Waterfalls (B/W)

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 29, 2013 09:42 |  #1

I'm trying to get a hang of black & white photo. First seasonal shot, critiques are more than welcome.

Personally, I find the contract between the top and the bottom of image not well balanced.

And yes, those are water drops in the lens :(

[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

sponsored links
Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 29, 2013 09:55 |  #2

Sadly, the whites are really blown out. Can you dial down the exposure on that area?

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

rafikiwilliams
77 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 29, 2013 10:17 |  #3

I find the angle of this shot to be too straight on... is it possible to move 10 feet to the left? I dunno, just doesnt hit the spot for me...

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 29, 2013 12:23 |  #4

Thanks guys!

Flo- yes I can try that. I shoot RAW. Let me try that again.

Raf- Unfortunately that's as far as I could go. 2 ft more and I'm hitting a cliff. Closer and I was getting water in the lens. Further and it was a spectacle of rocks and rubble. Sometimes I have to work with whatever the situation gives me..

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 29, 2013 12:45 |  #5

Well I just realized that Silver Effects might not be my best friend right now, maybe I should learn how to properly convert images before using plugins that boosts contrast and blow white off the charts.

Here's a manual attempt. I didn't bother with sharpening this one up too much, I'm just trying to balance the image properly...

DJHess
30 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 29, 2013 21:18 |  #6

I like the shot, but I agree with a different angle. Maybe even back a few more feet.

D.Hess
7D | 10-22 | 70-200 f2.8L | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 28-135 kit | 430 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Gitzo 3532LS/RRS BH-55/B2AS II | Sirui 326/RRS MH-01/B2-40LR | next to buy...24-70 f2.8

revluke
438 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 30, 2013 01:09 |  #7

B&W doesn't do it for me in a shot like this... Need some colors to balance all that sheeting water!

5dIII | 70d | Rokinon 14 | 16-35 f4 IS | 40 2.8 | s50A | 70-200 2.8 IS II | 100 f2 | s120-300S | sigma 2x | 600EX-RT

rafikiwilliams
77 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 30, 2013 14:25 |  #8

revluke wrote in post #15881654 (external link)
B&W doesn't do it for me in a shot like this... Need some colors to balance all that sheeting water!

hmm yea, OP, what does the color one look like?

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 30, 2013 14:41 |  #9

Unrising Muffin wrote in post #15879310 (external link)
Well I just realized that Silver Effects might not be my best friend right now, maybe I should learn how to properly convert images before using plugins that boosts contrast and blow white off the charts.

Here's a manual attempt. I didn't bother with sharpening this one up too much, I'm just trying to balance the image properly...

Love that you figured that one out! Many rely on all the toys to get what should have been manually done:D This one as far as the whites go is far far better than the first.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Hannahsdad
116 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 30, 2013 19:26 |  #10

I would like to see the color version also. There are some very nice scenes within this scene that cry out to be explored. I would return here in the early am or late pm depending on the sun angle, or on an overcast day and work this over really good.

"A Mans heart away from nature turns hard"
Standing Bear

funkskunk
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 30, 2013 20:43 |  #11

The left side of this shot is where my attention is drawn to, the water is more interesting / textured there plus I like the tree. Are you close by this area? Maybe try lower to ground and focus on the interesting water on left side of the falls more? You'll get a lot more than just silky white that way.

T3i / 600D, 18-55mm, 50mm f1.4 ... A bag to put it all in, and creativity :cool:

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 07, 2013 08:06 |  #12

Thanks guys, feedback much appreciated! I'm trying to learn B/W to remove the wow factor of colors. My understanding is that some images will wok better in color, this might be one of those. I'm about 2hrs drive away from the area, but not impossible I'll go back later in the season so I'll print your comments and re-shoot the scene: closer, more to the left, lower, etc.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,957 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 07, 2013 10:46 |  #13

I think the image needs more blacks so I pumped up the blacks and saturation in the color & converted to b&w and pumped some more.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links

1,414 views & 0 likes for this thread
Waterfalls (B/W)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.